Picture editor

This forum is currently in read-only mode.
0 favourites
From the Asset Store
An educational game for counting pictures. An easy to use template for developers to build larger games
  • Trying to draw anything in the picture editor is not good.

If the second mouse button is set to background, it doesn't delete. except with only bucket.

There is no hand tool. There should be, most of the programs uses space.

Color picker is awfully too small, except if u work on a small monitor.It should be at least twice as big, and even more on bigger resolutions.

Color presets at the bottom cannot be modified.

Wand tool must have more options, otherwise it's mostly useless.

The whole picture window resets itself when opened again, it's annoying.

There is no button to minimize or expand the window.

Step is heavily bugged.

Size, step, opacity applies to all tools, instead of just to the one u set it.

There are no shortcuts for tools at all. This is a major setback if the second mouse button cannot delete.

edge tool is also bugged.

Text tool doesn't work.

There is no layer options.

Animator, unable to add frames directly in the editor, or copy them.

There is no option to automatically create rotated, reversed, zoomed animations.

There is no animation preview in the editor or the animator.

The whole picture editor is quite useless for the time being. I know that gfx can be imported, but i like to work in the built in editors, because i can easily switch to game and back and see how the gfx go with the game, is it the correct size, are the colors matched, does it fits in the current scenario with other gfx. When animating, there must be more options, especially if animating a move for a character with more than 10 frames, i cannot see the animation while drawing it. I must first code it, and start the game each time i want to see how the animation is looking so far.

The final conclusion is that the picture editor doesn't suffice enough for relaxed and serious graphic editing.

Anyway. I wanted to ask if the picture editor is planned to be improved or redesigned. Since currently it's lacking almost any potential.

• I need to fix it up a bit yeah...but anyways

[quote:39s6ff1u]If the second mouse button is set to background, it doesn't delete

If you've used Paint.Net or photoshop or gimp or paint shop pro or paint express those programs also cant paint with the backgroud colour, you have to use the erasor tool. However I guess it might be a good idea to make it that if you draw with a brush of 0% opacity it functions as an erasor since otherwise a 0% opacity brush is useless...but then if you pick a colour at 5% opacity or something it would function as normal.

Actually it might be better to remove opacity all together and simply add the opacity slider at the top to all the other tools, and then make another tool setting and call it 'flow' which does the same as the opacity thing. Then there wont be any confusion.

[quote:39s6ff1u]There is no hand tool. There should be, most of the programs uses space.

Alt + Click does this, however I could change it so its spacebar and click like photoshop if you want.

[quote:39s6ff1u]Color picker is awfully too small, except if u work on a small monitor.It should be at least twice as big, and even more on bigger resolutions.

Woops when you double click a colour or the coloured box its ment to bring up a proper colour picker (like when you choose colours in filters and stuff)...I'll fix that when I get back

Gotta go to work now, I'll start doing these things when I get back as well as looking into the other issues.

• last time I tried to use it, flip horizontal didn't work

• last time I tried to use it, flip horizontal didn't work

That was actually fixed in one of the most recent builds, for which I am eternally greatful.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Well it would be pretty neat if the editor is better.

One cool thing would be to have tablet support for pressure.

• Resize tool also doesn't resize the picture, only the canvas-

• > last time I tried to use it, flip horizontal didn't work

>

That was actually fixed in one of the most recent builds, for which I am eternally greatful.

For the most part, try using the wand tool to select an obscure shape and then try to flip it. It won't work properly.

• Lol, it's funny because the only thing I ever used the editor for was importing graphics and placing image points and the hotspot haha.

~Sol

• Lol, it's funny because the only thing I ever used the editor for was importing graphics and placing image points and the hotspot haha.

~Sol

Same here.

Or, of course, making colored boxes or circles just for testing things out.

• That's really all that's worth using it for.

• That's really all that's worth using it for.

For now anyway. I'm sure it'll be plenty useful in the future, at least for some people. It just need a little more basic functionality. Being able to save your palette, remember the last too used, ability to create new frames, along with animation preview. Little things like that. It doesn't need all the capabilities of Photoshop or anything. That's what Photoshop is for. Things like layers and tablet support are really asking an awful lot of a simple little graphics editor.

Though no matter how useful it gets I'll probably still just use Photoshop anyway because that's what I'm used to. And because I can't work without my layers and tablet support.

• Yeah, well i use photoshop and painter aswell, but when u need to make a sketch first or if u are making a small resoultion pixel art stuff, it's better to use built in program. And some ppl don't have money to buy photoshop or painter. So i m just saying, that if the picture editor is better, thats better for a lot of reasons.

Esspecially if u are working with animation.

• You mean people actually buy Photoshop?

j/k lol I do not condone piracy (I got my copy through school at a huge discount and didn't even have to pay real money because I used student loans).

But really, GIMP is free. And I agree 100% on the animation part.

• I prefer Paint.NET over GIMP now (after installing a few plugins off the forums).

Way better interface. All the major features with plenty more in the forums to grab.

• Yeah, I've never actually used GIMP but I do hear that the interface is kinda wonky.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)