Picture editor

New releases and general discussions.

Post » Sat Sep 20, 2008 2:01 pm

[quote="alspal":3orfb17j]That's really all that's worth using it for.[/quote:3orfb17j]

For now anyway. I'm sure it'll be plenty useful in the future, at least for some people. It just need a little more basic functionality. Being able to save your palette, remember the last too used, ability to create new frames, along with animation preview. Little things like that. It doesn't need all the capabilities of Photoshop or anything. That's what Photoshop is for. Things like layers and tablet support are really asking an awful lot of a simple little graphics editor.

Though no matter how useful it gets I'll probably still just use Photoshop anyway because that's what I'm used to. And because I can't work without my layers and tablet support.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:05 pm

Yeah, well i use photoshop and painter aswell, but when u need to make a sketch first or if u are making a small resoultion pixel art stuff, it's better to use built in program. And some ppl don't have money to buy photoshop or painter. So i m just saying, that if the picture editor is better, thats better for a lot of reasons.

Esspecially if u are working with animation.
B
G

Post » Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:47 pm

You mean people actually buy Photoshop?

j/k lol I do not condone piracy (I got my copy through school at a huge discount and didn't even have to pay real money because I used student loans).

But really, GIMP is free. And I agree 100% on the animation part.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:50 pm

I prefer Paint.NET over GIMP now (after installing a few plugins off the forums).

Way better interface. All the major features with plenty more in the forums to grab.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:25 am

Yeah, I've never actually used GIMP but I do hear that the interface is kinda wonky.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:16 pm

[quote="deadeye":3runap1o]Yeah, I've never actually used GIMP but I do hear that the interface is kinda wonky.[/quote:3runap1o]

Fortunately, it will be improved in the next version, 2.6, which is coming really soon.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:34 pm

[quote="Drasa":2mp4dttf][quote="deadeye":2mp4dttf]Yeah, I've never actually used GIMP but I do hear that the interface is kinda wonky.[/quote:2mp4dttf]

Fortunately, it will be improved in the next version, 2.6, which is coming really soon.[/quote:2mp4dttf]

Are they adding basic functionality into it yet? I'm sorry, but any graphics program I spend over 30 minutes looking for a marquee/lasso tool, and can't find one... [size=200:2mp4dttf]SUCKS![/size:2mp4dttf]

~Sol
Tired of crappy file hosts that are crappy? Get DROPBOX - https://db.tt/uwjysXJF
B
S
G

Post » Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:43 pm

Do you use Paint.Net at all SoldjahBoy? I ask because I am using Photoshop CS3 mostly, but I don't know if I'll upgrade to CS4.

Paint.Net keeps getting nice plugins added by users so I'm starting to consider switching.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:55 pm

New idea for the image editor, specifically for animation of sprites:

A checkbox labeled "Propogate Changes." When you check this box, all actions you do on one frame will be repeated on all the other frames. For instance, placing the hotspot, flipping x or y, selecting an area of color, erasing the area of color, etc.

The selecting an area of color I think would be the most difficult part, because an animation will have that color in different places on each frame. But it would be useful for removing the transparency color from the background of sprites imported from a sprite sheet all in one shot.

Anyway, most tools wouldn't need to have any extra special attention paid to them. A pencil mark on one frame would make the same mark on every frame. It's just tools like the select-area-of-color tool that would need special attention. Crop is another, because some frames the area to trim transparent pixels might be larger than in others.

This would make the process of importing sprites a whole lot easier, since right now it's like an assembly line of flipx-nextframe-flipx-nextframe-etc, placehotspot-nextframe-placehotspot-nextframe-etc that just bores me to tears and is another reason on the list of why I hate making game art.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Oct 07, 2008 12:23 am

I tried to start making a game and all I used to make the animations and game objects was the animation editor XD of course all the graphics are cruddy but thats because im not good at making my own. what held me back from completing it though was the fact I couldnt find out how to make passcoded doors correctly.
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Construct Classic Discussion