Piracy

Chat about anything not covered in these forums, but keep it civil!

Post » Tue Nov 04, 2014 6:34 pm

I was checking my Facebook and I encountered this picture that 9Gag app posted as an advertised post.
Well they were little arguments in the comments section if piracy is theft or not, some claimed not some claimed yes. The point is, IMO that it depends on the contents. if it was a game or software of course it theft, since it has it copyrights and by that way you are getting the developer to get less revenue or earning especially if it was his source of living. Even if the company has huge revenue from it ( Like big companies ) still you are not allowed to use it without paying the fees. on the other hand if you see a page talking about a topic and you use it in your project it is not considered piracy or theft since the publisher of the content are sharing it with other ( unless it was a book of course). BTW i liked the caption that says ("Imagine your car gets stolen, but it is still there in the morning!") terrific! :lol:
Well the main question is : is piracy theft?
to me: It depends...
ImageImageImageImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:00 pm

OK, now suppose the gas tank is empty.
Image ImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Thu Nov 06, 2014 3:04 am

Imagine you spend 6 months making a game. Then imagine that someone copies it, including all of your artwork, and sells their version or makes money from adverts by letting people play their version of your pay-to-own game for free. Or, imagine that someone copies and plays your pay-to-own game, but they got it from a torrent site. Imagine that person tells you that they weren't stealing your work... I imagine you would disagree with them.
A big fan of JavaScript.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Nov 06, 2014 4:17 am

It's a double-edged sword, most of what @Colludium says is the dark side of piracy (and very true!). However, there are many instances in digital media where piracy helps, such as creating popularity or selling franchise products like t-shirts and similar physical objects that end up making more money than the media itself (I think Game Of Thrones was one of the shows that made the most profit from pirates of the episodes versus standard customers, but I can't find where I read that at the moment)

For game devs, I'd say piracy only helps when you're a small dev who nobody knows and the people pirating it don't try to resell/claim ownership. Kind of like bootleg in the cassette tape recording days where friends share music and generate word-of-mouth about the band.

In the end, it's about how much you're willing (or able) to give away for free while still being able to do what you love. If someone doesn't make their game free/open source/etc, then there's a reason they didn't and there should be some respect given to them. I think this is why some indie devs also have an option for people to donate, who feel that the developer deserves way more than what they get from sale costs of the game.
"Construct 4 lets YOU make advanced games! (they wont run anywhere)" Construct Classic - Examples Kit Dropbox is a pile of trash and if you need my old files PM me! :)
B
S
G

Post » Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:05 am

The owners of the content define how they share the content. If they set a price on it, and you get it for free in a way outside the owner's wishes, then it is piracy
People can pretend that piracy is not theft or a crime by using metaphors and twisting it to be convenient to them, but i wonder if they really are so ignorant that they believe piracy is not theft. Weather piracy is a positive or a negative thing is a whole other topic.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Nov 06, 2014 1:40 pm

Well according to dictionary.com theft is "the act of stealing", and steal has a number of definitions including "to take (the property of another or others) without permission or right", "to appropriate (ideas, credit, words, etc.) without right or acknowledgment", and "to take, get, or win insidiously, surreptitiously, subtly, or by chance". I think the definition is appropriate for piracy: technically you are copying or using digital work without permission (more broadly speaking "appropriating ideas"), or "taking insidiously". The fact digital goods can be easily copied is simply a detail, and I think the image was prepared by trolls trying to defend their use of piracy by misleading people away from the dictionary definition.
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Thu Nov 06, 2014 1:45 pm

A common argument is that piracy doesn't harm a business because it doesn't drain resources like bandwidth or deplete unit numbers, and most importantly, a customer that wasn't going to buy the product anyway doesn't count as a lost sale.

This argument is wrong - piracy creates a psychology of entitlement that locks into our modern cultures obsession with instant gratification; the more you pirate, the less likely you are to actually buy future products.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Nov 06, 2014 1:49 pm

This is why we have so many "Free to Play", but "Pay to Win" games atm.

Piracy is sooo normal that businesses need to think about a different style of getting their stuffout on the market.
Check out our start-up and configure your own helmet in true 3D.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Nov 06, 2014 3:02 pm

Well for real ;)

to be hornest, there are few people who can afford to buy a game and then pirate it, especially when the game is <5$ so not really anything i would care about... at least not for the games we make... is you sell 500k + then you can start think about piracy... or just make your game even better and sell 1000k + :D
B
S
G

Post » Thu Nov 06, 2014 4:02 pm

Funny that you should use the South Park reference, especially after their last episode was so down on the "freemium" model.
Well, on crappy games at least.

Then again you can't pirate something thats free
Image ImageImage
B
S
G

Next

Return to Open Topic