Pixel Art Tools / Apps

Discussion of tools and resources for game developers

Post » Sun Feb 28, 2016 2:18 am

Accidentally stumbled upon this yesterday and i'm in love with it..

It's titled as a Procedural Tile Generator but can be used for pretty much any kind of pixel art plus it has onion layers ^^ and it's free :D

https://pnjeffries.itch.io/spartan-procjam-edition
B
S
G

Post » Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:27 am

Wow! Thanks for sharing @JaredX! Could save lot of time.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:44 pm

JaredX wrote:Accidentally stumbled upon this yesterday and i'm in love with it..

It's titled as a Procedural Tile Generator but can be used for pretty much any kind of pixel art plus it has onion layers ^^ and it's free :D

https://pnjeffries.itch.io/spartan-procjam-edition

Really Neat! Thanks for sharing :D
Image Image Image
B
S
G

Post » Sat Mar 05, 2016 11:02 pm

I've always used Photoshop because it's what I know, with a bit of setting up it's good for pixel work but it can be a bit frustrating if you're jumping between a pixel art project and a HD one (you're constantly fiddling with downsampling and anti aliasing settings). The one thing that PS seems to be really bad at however is rotating pixel sprites - the rotated sprites always look bad and you have to jump through many hoops to get them to look good. Do any of these dedicated pixel apps do rotations well? I have a copy of Pro Motion 6.5 that I picked up in a Humble Bundle - but the interface has never clicked with me and also seems very buggy so it slows me down, so for now I've stuck with Photoshop but would probably jump ship for an app with good rotation and interface.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:05 am

I've never posted anything before. Hopefully this will be helpful to some... I stumbled upon this software the other day:

http://www.marmoset.co/hexels

It is EXTREMELY easy to use, very fun and addictive. So far I've only used the free 14 day trial, but I will be purchasing a full license because I've never come across a piece of software that was so intuitive for creating pixel art before. It's very easy to create stunning images in a matter of minutes... both 2d as well as 2.5d.

Best wishes to all of you!
B
S

Post » Thu Mar 10, 2016 4:33 pm

Seems really nice! I think I'll give it a try, even though the price is a bit high. Thanks for sharing @mickleburrbank, and welcome!
B
S
G

Post » Fri Mar 11, 2016 3:39 am

Hexels is great, it really excels at isometric art. I've had a v1 license for a while and it's awesome - haven't yet upgraded to 2.0 but I hear it's much improved. I think the price is very reasonable, considering nothing else does what Hexels does.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:39 am

Considering I just thought about making a game with isometric art... That comes along at just the right time! :)
B
S
G

Previous

Return to Tools and Resources