Pixel Artists, Mouse or Drawing Pad? (Or Other?)

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
Create your game with this complete pack of images and animations!
  • I guess I've always been really curious about what others use when they draw pixel art.

For me personally, it depends on the size of the thing I'm drawing. But I find myself using the mouse to pixel things out usually.

• I prefer using a mouse for the precise control and it may just be me, but I always thought pixel art was intended for use with a mouse instead of a graphics tablet, due to it's root in retro/old school console games. The glory days of the NES, Genesis, SNES, etc

• Drawing tablet for me. I dont mind using the mouse for quick edits but if I have to do anything more than a 5 minute touch-up, I'd much rather use the wacom.

• I'd say 99.9 percent of all my professional pixel art years over the last 10 years was done completely via mouse. For high res game and illustration stuff I use Tablet monitor and n o mouse, but for really classic low res, low color pixel art, using a tablet just feels completely out of place for me.

• I've done my pixel art with a mouse for years. I would say it's quite high resolution as well,

Pixel art

More pixel art

I need to get myself a better tablet, but even then I feel like I might prefer to do most of the job by mouse.

• Wow, for a mouse user that's pretty impressive. Usually at that scale people switch to a pad.

• TabloidA - For me, mouse is my best friend for pixelarts. But, I'm not using mouse, I'm using my laptop touchpad to draw.

• I've used both, but a tablet definitely feels more natural and is a more dexterous approach.

• Wacom tablet all the way for me. I can't begin to draw anything with a mouse. I literally do like four pixels and go "arrgh screw this where's my tablet"

• I prefer some wacom tablet, it is more agile to design. different of mouse

• I don't own a tablet, so I'm limited to using the mouse. It's takes a little while to produce anything half decent, but I've kind of gotten used to it at this point (no idea what a tablet would be like, though I imagine it's quite a bit faster).

• I work 10 + hours a day on my XP-Pen Artist22E graphics tablet amazon.com/dp/B01M9EURM1 . I've been using graphics tablets for over 8 years. I absolutely need one because i paint/draw for a living and these days people need things done fast soo digital is the way to go.

I've been using XP-Pen tablets for all this time. I wouldnt recommend ANY other brand but wacom for graphics tablets. They are the best. I currently use a Medium size XP-Pen Artist22E .

For just scribbling notes and doing minor photo touch ups I would recommend either a Small XP-Pen Star05 ( which cost about 70$ Canadian) more or less.

• I work 10 + hours a day on my XP-Pen Artist22E graphics tablet amazon.com/dp/B01M9EURM1 . I've been using graphics tablets for over 8 years. I absolutely need one because i paint/draw for a living and these days people need things done fast soo digital is the way to go.

I've been using XP-Pen tablets for all this time. I wouldnt recommend ANY other brand but wacom for graphics tablets. They are the best. I currently use a Medium size XP-Pen Artist22E .

For just scribbling notes and doing minor photo touch ups I would recommend either a Small XP-Pen Star05 ( which cost about 70$ Canadian) more or less.

Hi jieshi

can I ask what spec computer you are using with XP-Pen Artist22E.

What is the lag like,

and what software you are using?

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Mouse + Aseprite

• I have a small lovely digital art pad XP-Pen star g430S 4" x 3" , I use it for Pixel art , it works well with it .

it has a 8192 levels pressure senstivity battery-free wireless stylus .

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)