Pixeljunk Shooter

Chat about anything not covered in these forums, but keep it civil!

Post » Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:32 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4z5OLT78zM

Anyone here played it? I finished it a couple of weeks ago, another great, new 2d game :)

Has anyone ever tried to do fluid sims like they do in construct? Wasn't Quazi working on something like that once?
B
S
G

Post » Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:51 pm

Oops, Quasiblob infrigment.
Image Image
B
S
G

Post » Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:15 am

Yeah, PJ Shooter is really great. They are making Shooter 2 atm. There is still a lot of unused potential in this game.
B
G

Post » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:11 pm

Ha, I remember this. A bunch of us had a long convo about it in chat a while back and tried to come up with methods of doing it in construct (while trying to avoid Quazi's method). Ultimately Davo came up with a pretty much working solution of sorts, and with a special effects shader it could certainly come close.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:47 pm

seems to work under the same principal as quasiblobs, although i assume theyd use a custom made shader with better control over attributes than a simple Colourise. all you need really is a shader than can control whats displayed using a hard falloff curve, and the overlapping of the gradients creates the meta-ball effect. a custom shader for quaziblobs would be of great use because then you wouldnt have to layer a bunch of effects to get the desired colorings ect, colourise is really limited but i used it because well, it was the only option, and i played with other effects and blob colours for different shading levels to get the optimal look. with a custom shader this PJ type effect would be 100% possible. if anyones interested in writing it id be gald to help em know what the specifics about what it needs to do are, and write a tutorial so everyone can know how to do the effect.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:25 pm

[quote="QuaziGNRLnose":303yy0rq]seems to work under the same principal as quasiblobs, although i assume theyd use a custom made shader with better control over attributes than a simple Colourise. all you need really is a shader than can control whats displayed using a hard falloff curve, and the overlapping of the gradients creates the meta-ball effect. a custom shader for quaziblobs would be of great use because then you wouldnt have to layer a bunch of effects to get the desired colorings ect, colourise is really limited but i used it because well, it was the only option, and i played with other effects and blob colours for different shading levels to get the optimal look. with a custom shader this PJ type effect would be 100% possible. if anyones interested in writing it id be gald to help em know what the specifics about what it needs to do are, and write a tutorial so everyone can know how to do the effect.[/quote:303yy0rq]

Don't get my post wrong. The reason we were trying to avoid your method was simply, you'd done it already. We were curious what other ways could work. :)
B
S
G

Post » Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:36 am

[quote="QuaziGNRLnose":2yntrlkt]all you need really is a shader than can control whats displayed using a hard falloff curve, and the overlapping of the gradients creates the meta-ball effect[/quote:2yntrlkt]

hmm I may have done this already a while back. An alpha remap effect. Note that since we're using premultiplied alpha, transparent colors will lose precision when made solid. But it works, I used it to make clouds that slowly vanish.

with metaballs, you'd just put alpha-ramp spheres in a layer, then remap the layer's alpha.

I'll look for the file, not sure if I uploaded it here.
B
S
G

Return to Open Topic