Plasma Example

Post your own tutorials, guides and demos.

Post » Mon Sep 01, 2008 6:18 pm

Yeah hehe.....hardware acceleration for the win...however it would probably be better if plasma object itself could render multiple copies of itself on top of each other. Using render states and filters I can make each separate layer a different opacity, colour, etc...I'll look into it and try to find a solution that is both simple and powerful :)
B
S
G

Post » Mon Sep 01, 2008 6:29 pm

Yep render states and filtered layers looks like the way to go.

I demonstrated the effect by pasting a plasma into a canvas object, then pasting that canvas into another canvas several times with different filters, and you can see the result :)

Also noticed I've stuff up something with time delta...I think the subtract map's opacity isn't affected by time delta and therefore the plasma object looks different at differnet frame rates...woops :(
B
S
G

Post » Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:56 pm

AWSOME! This plugin kicks ass!

Edit: Why is it shaking like crazy? Can that be prevented?
B
S
G

Post » Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:16 pm

[quote="QuaziGNRLnose":g77kesd2]oh i dint think of using more than 1 flame object[/quote:g77kesd2]

Yeah, me neither :P I kept trying to do it with more than one sprite. Much more efficient this way (especially if your sprites are animated). Sometimes the simplest solutions are the most elusive.

I still think the Flame effect applied to Plasma looks a little more flamey, but if you want to have an alternative for non ps2 cards this would be the way to go.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:16 am

i just hate that raggy edge you get with the flame effect,
B
S
G

Post » Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:52 am

[quote="QuaziGNRLnose":82r6jpvf]i just hate that raggy edge you get with the flame effect,[/quote:82r6jpvf]

Well then I guess you shouldn't use it.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Sep 07, 2008 1:15 am

[quote="QuaziGNRLnose":60uoh3qo]i just hate that raggy edge you get with the flame effect,[/quote:60uoh3qo]
Use the Soften effect? Or, even better, use just a Blur Vertical. Try that on Deadeye's example, it works really well.
Also, after using Blur Vertical, try giving the Plasma object a Combine Additive effect, it makes the fire look really realistic, and blends really nicely on backdrops.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Sep 07, 2008 2:36 am

[quote="AsparagusTrevor":vu2tftq5][quote="QuaziGNRLnose":vu2tftq5]i just hate that raggy edge you get with the flame effect,[/quote:vu2tftq5]
Use the Soften effect? Or, even better, use just a Blur Vertical. Try that on Deadeye's example, it works really well.
Also, after using Blur Vertical, try giving the Plasma object a Combine Additive effect, it makes the fire look really realistic, and blends really nicely on backdrops.[/quote:vu2tftq5]

Crashes when I add those in any order.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Sep 07, 2008 3:08 am

[quote="Jeswen":1fiveacv][quote="AsparagusTrevor":1fiveacv][quote="QuaziGNRLnose":1fiveacv]i just hate that raggy edge you get with the flame effect,[/quote:1fiveacv]
Also, after using Blur Vertical, try giving the Plasma object a Combine Additive effect, it makes the fire look really realistic, and blends really nicely on backdrops.[/quote:1fiveacv]

Crashes when I add those in any order.[/quote:1fiveacv]
Download this dude: http://www.asparagustrevor.co.uk/stuff/flames.exe, see if it crashes.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Sep 07, 2008 5:24 am

No, that worked just fine. Only crash within Construct :?

Thanks for that though :)
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Your tutorials & example files