Plasma Tutorials

For questions about using Classic.

Post » Wed May 23, 2012 2:03 pm

Hi @-Silver-, I was experiment recently with the plasma plugin...

I may say, there is a important parameters around it... the first the cold texture and the second, source texture... been brief, the cold texture serves as a cutoff mask of the source texture, then with the filters you can modify colouring of the final render...

then you have, speed parameters what they speaks by their own names, they controls direction in which the cold mask moves over the source... that was all my understanding about Plasma plugin, i espect this helps you to understand it too.

PD: sorry for my english.
B
S
G

Post » Wed May 23, 2012 4:57 pm

Thanks Yao!

I've managed to get them working perfectly in new .CAP files, but for some reason the .CAP I'm using for my game isn't working. No idea why, the Plasma effects just aren't displaying properly.
B
S
G

Post » Thu May 24, 2012 11:14 pm

Bumping.

I've updated my OP with my .CAP and an explanation of the new issue. Basically, plasma effects aren't working in my .CAP, and I can't figure out why. If anyone has the time to spare to check out my .CAP and see if you can spot the issue, I'd really appreciate the help!

Thanks
B
S
G

Post » Thu May 24, 2012 11:31 pm

ok i'll check it now...

EDIT: After open your .cap, I may notice something very very important, when downloading file i supose that, you are using very big sprites, that lacks your VRAM, one suggestion, try to cut the biggers to minor pieces so you can repeat a sprite any times you want, but thats saves you a lot of VRAM why despite you have many instances still that instances uses one unique texture here i lets you a picture to try explain the fact:

this maybe not solves your plasma effect issue, but helps to improve your .cap speed, then we can discard VRAM lack as posibility to your Plasma malfunction.

PD: sorry for my english.Yaottabyte2012-05-25 00:26:47
B
S
G

Post » Fri May 25, 2012 8:58 am

Yep, my parallax backgrounds reach up to 2048x2048 in size. The whole .CAP is just a mess of ideas though, and the backgrounds don't even match up anymore in some areas. It's a test .CAP where I'm throwing together all my ideas, seeing what works and what doesn't, and if they cause any issues. Once I've got enough ideas worked out, I'll build a working level design from a new layout.

Is the VRAM an issue? I haven't noticed it causing any issues on my computer or my girlfriend's laptop so far. This might be a good time to test it on other people's rigs I guess. Does the game have problems running on your computer?
B
S
G

Post » Fri May 25, 2012 2:42 pm

[QUOTE=-Silver-]Does the game have problems running on your computer?[/QUOTE]

Well I try to test it on my job's machine, a AMD phenom 9750 quad-core 2.4 GHz, win7 2 Gb ram, but dont start, i will try it on my own, i5 8Gb ram 1Gb video ram, win7, this weekend, anything i notice i'll post it the next monday.

Any way with your permission i'll apply the above stuff i explained to your cap and post the results again to compare the VRAM usage, are you agree?
B
S
G

Post » Fri May 25, 2012 5:27 pm

Ooo that's worrying if it didn't even start.

Yeah, feel free to play around with it as much as you like. I'm surprised you can make sense of it at all, it's in such a messy state =P

Thanks for your help
B
S
G

Post » Fri May 25, 2012 10:53 pm

Ah, just a note on the multiple objects thing, be sure to re-use the same sprite object for pieces that are the same image (as separate instances will take up a new space in VRAM I believe).
"Construct 4 lets YOU make advanced games! (maybe)" Construct Classic - Examples Kit
B
S
G

Post » Fri May 25, 2012 11:23 pm

Yeah, I do re-use them. My trees are all multiple copies of the same sprite (when they're the same tree).

For the backgrounds though, I wanted a tileable image, and I wanted a parallax effect. I went with 2048 image sizes with three trees in a row to avoid repetition being too painful. The exact same tree again and again would have been awful.

It would probably be better to place individual trees on my background layers, but this way saves time. I'll see how it goes and what feedback I get when I upload something playable. I'm more than happy to change that approach if it would make a significant difference.

I am planning on shaking up the background with 'hotspots' though. A meadow is already integrated (though it's gone completely out of whack in the .CAP I uploaded when I moved the background positions around at a later point), and I'm working on a river and waterfall system at the moment. The aim is to build them in from the background, on various parallax layers, all the way to the foreground, for a real sense of depth.
B
S
G

Previous

Return to Help & Support using Construct Classic