Platform Shooter: Little Green Soldier (NOW ON ARCADE!)

Show us your completed creations made in Construct 2

Post » Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:18 am

Hi all, Nixel here!

It's been a full year since I posted here. I'd like to announce that:
I'm going to upload Little Green Soldier onto the Arcade!
I think it's time my game tried stepping into the limelight. That, and the fact that Dropbox and Google Drive have BOTH stopped free HTML hosting, yeesh -- the game's gotta be playable somewhere!

HOWEVER! My one roadblock in posting to the Arcade is in getting my hands on music that I reserve the rights to use. I've been using OSTs from NES titles, but right now I think I'll have to scour all sorts of Royalty-Free whatevers to make this whole thing possible. If anyone knows about good sources of free 8-bit/chiptune/retro music, please share the knowledge, it'll be a massive help to me!

After a full semester of proper computer science education, I came back for a brawl with the many bugs in my game. Everyone, if you think Construct 2 gets easier with programming knowledge -- I'm not sure I agree! Construct 2 may wipe out difficulties like learning language syntax and avoiding typos, but it does require you to employ the logic in programming, and for that reason alone I think scripting events in C2 stands as a challenge on its own.

Anyway, I've only managed to pull off these fixes:
- Fixed that ANNOYING graphical bug for the HP/energy bars, which at low values would have a random sliver of black on their left.
- Enemy collision damage is no longer a thing! Everyone who has playtested the game found it frustrating and unnecessary. I agree, because I did make the gameplay to be timing-based -- it makes sense to let you also play with the timing to sneak past enemies.
- Reduced the major bug on Bomber enemies -- where they would sometimes freeze up after throwing bombs -- to rare occurrences. Still trying to figure this out, and it's infuriating.

I can't say for sure if this project is dead or alive. On one hand, I love everything I've done in it -- I love my character Green, I love the antagonist I've crafted, the backstory that's been swirling around my head all these years -- but I also want to pursue greater dreams in 3D animation. It's a struggle, but for now I'll put this game on pause. I definitely want to revisit this someday -- I have so many plans for it.

@Ratmaster @mikewalton206 @pabloukiyo @CARO I don't know why I didn't reply to you guys all this while, but thank you -- sincerely! Receiving your comments during my long hiatus....it filled me with determination. (For those who catch the reference -- guess what game I just played!)
B
S
G

Post » Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:41 am

Aaaaaand after 4 long years...

LITTLE GREEN SOLDIER IS ON SCIRRA ARCADE!

CLICK HERE TO PLAY NOW!

Finally collected some appropriate free music. Here:
"Epic Song", "Assignment", "Frantic", "Battle Normal", "B-3" by BoxCat Games is licensed under CC BY 3.0

A massive thank you to all who have been posting on this thread, giving support or otherwise important feedback. It's been a great introduction to gamedev, and I hope to do much more in the field.

And if you haven't clicked on that link, well, have a go! I promise it'll be worthwhile!
B
S
G

Post » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:29 pm

This is a lot of work for something like this. The idea of playing an alien is great. Beginning with the crashing spaceship is great (I was planning something similar for another game I was working on). Music is fantastic in beginning. The idea of absorbing bullets is new (at least to me) yes, but it's too easy just to move about with x being pressed. Also, this game begs to shoot something. Is there a shoot button? I think this could be a lot more popular if you upgraded the graphics and kept the music cool as in the beginning.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:37 am

@AmpedRobot Thanks a ton! You must have dug this thread out from several pages in the forum, appreciate it.

Glad you enjoyed some of the music, although I won't take credit for it -- also, just so I'm sure, what do you mean by the beginning? Is it the title screen and intro, or maybe the first half of the stage track? I'd be happy to know.

Press C to shoot! This game is a Mega Man Classic homage, so I definitely didn't forget to include that -- and it's how you expend the energy you absorb, after all! You do make a valid point about difficulty though, especially because I recently made the change so that you can walk past enemies without getting damage. I'll see what I can do with that.

As for the graphics upgrade, well -- I do genuinely enjoy pixel art, so I'm afraid that won't be too likely. But I'm also developing my interest in 3D, so who knows? Maybe Little Green Soldier will get a 3D revamp -- but that probably means migrating out of Construct 2 to, say, Unity3D.

In any case, thanks again! Glad you played it.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:39 pm

very very good game, nice pixelart!
one note:
i pressed key [Q] and my hero teleport, going left dont go right to boss, invisible block stop me
B
S

Post » Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:27 pm

What screen recording software do you use?
B
S
G

Previous

Return to Completed Creations