platform sprite, bad collision detection

Bugs will be moved here once resolved.

Post » Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:16 am

Can you post bug reports with examples? I had it working fine a couple of months ago, but due to some other reports I had to tweak it a bit so I probably accidentally broke it.

If you get crushed by a block in C2 getting stuck is by design. CC would *always* try to push you out, and that sometimes meant the player teleporting a long way through a thick wall which could ruin games, so now there's a maximum push-out distance before it gives up and leaves you stuck. I'm not sure what else should happen if the player gets crushed by a solid!
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:21 am

[QUOTE=Ashley] I don't think there's much that can be done about this, by design the platform works to the nearest pixel only. Because you've zoomed in a long way and C2 supports floating point positions, sometimes you see a very thin gap which is less than a pixel thick.[/QUOTE]

This actually causes problems aside from the immediately obvious. For example, I'm attempting to create a player from multiple sprites using either the pin behaviour or "set position to..." where the player can change appearance by adding components to the base "bounding box".

Unfortunately with this inaccuracy, the components also end up being out of sync with their intended position, which visually is very unappealing, and it seems sometimes the components will actually slip off the edge of a platform, only to teleport back up when the rest of the bounding box decides it was meant to be elsewhere.

Bearing this in mind, I originally thought I was doing something in the wrong tick, and that the components were just catching up a bit late... but having created this example for the sole purpose of eliminating other causes, it seems my entire idea for a game is bust - because C2 won't be able to handle the concept at all.

Frustrating. Especially if this wasn't a problem in CC (I haven't confirmed this myself yet).
B
S
G

Post » Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:10 am

What about the walls?
Have you tried anything to make sure they are in the right position?
Image Image
B
S
G

Post » Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:02 am

[QUOTE=newt] What about the walls?
Have you tried anything to make sure they are in the right position?[/QUOTE]

They are set to snap to a grid of 8x8, if that's what you mean.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Dec 24, 2011 9:11 am

Just thought I'd reiterate that this is still a problem, and it's pretty much game breaking in some situations.

The newest update that added wall detection gave me the opportunity to test a (very) simple super meat boy style wall jump setup... and it works great...

...except that sometimes it doesn't. Just like before, the player sprite will sometimes be a pixel or so off... and it will fail to hit the wall... which kills the wall jump.

I feel like this issue was kind of waved off as unimportant when I raised it, but I do see it as a serious problem. And since I never noticed it happening in Classic, I don't understand why it can't be fixed in C2.

Ashley, can you explain why it isn't fixable? Or why it's not important to at least try to fix?

edit: Here's a capx that illustrates the problem... if you try wall jumping away from one wall to another without using any arrows, the player sprite will sometimes just fail to hit the other wall.

capx

edit: Here's an equivalent example from Classic, working just fine and dandy.

exeplauk2011-12-24 09:41:14
B
S
G

Previous

Return to Closed bugs