Platform tutorial help: ResultText field

Get help using Construct 2

Post » Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:27 pm

Hi,

I've started trying out Construct to get a better understanding of what game design involves, as I'm a complete beginner to designing videogames but interested in the subject.

I have completed the Shooter tutorial and the first part of the "Building a platform game - a beginner's guide" today.

While I managed to get the platform tutorial working, I've become unstuck making the ResultText field show "Level 2 reached" at the correct time. (See page 6 of the tutorial).

When the game starts the ResultText field says "Text".

When Tim leaps onto platform 1 and scores 1 point, the ResultText changes to "Level 2 Reached".

The "Game Over" ResultText appears at the correct point: when Tim has 0 health.

The system I've put in is:

15 Player Platform on Landed
16     System Score => 25, Floor = 3 ResultText set text to "Level 2 reached"

17 System Health = 0
        ResultText set text to "Game Over"
        System wait 3 seconds
        System set Health to 3
        ResultText set text to ""

Can anyone point me in the right direction for a fix? I've tried shuffling events about and quadruple-checked the variables and conditions are correct.

My game's CAPX file is available on Dropbox.

Thanks.

- Richard

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5328690/Construct/platform%20tutorial%201.capxrcosgrove2014-02-12 19:27:51
B
S

Post » Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:48 pm

I have looked at it, and you almost had it working :)

To fix it, you have to move the ResultText in the "Platform on landed" to the bottom.

Just add an empty one below "prevFloor >= Flooring.floor"

Then change the ResultText to this:

"Level " & Flooring.Floor & " reached"

Then it will correctly write which level the player have reached.

B
S
G

Post » Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:11 pm

Thanks Nimos, that was a help.

Your suggestion didn't do what I needed: "Level 2 reached" means you've got to level 2 in the game - not the second platform. The game is only meant to display that text when you score 25 and are on the top platform (Flooring.floor 3).

So I added this at step 13, after set prevFloor to Flooring.Floor.

13 System Score < 25 ResultText Set text to ""
      System prevFloor < 3

This clears the ResultText status update clear, until you get to 25 points and reach the top level.

I wouldn't have thought to try that without your input: thank you.

Now I just have to work out how to stop the score resetting to 0 when Tim leaps out of the top of the layout. For now I've put in an invisible wall along the top of the layout, to prevent him leaping too high.

- Richard

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5328690/Construct/platform%20tutorial%202.capx
B
S

Return to How do I....?