[Plugin] jcw_trace (raycast)

Post your work in progress addons and get feedback

Post » Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:53 am

Johncw87 wrote:
Zebbi wrote:*quote snip*

Ahh, so is there a way of sorting it out so I can have a second instance of the tilemap (for backgrounds) with solids disabled and not trigger the trace?

No. This is also unlikely to change, as having the Solid behavior continue to have an influence after switching it to custom seems arbitrary. Code-wise, I would either have to used an optimized method that might break in future construct versions, or perform a second search through an already filtered list. I'm not really fond of either solution.

IMO, this problem of yours highlights the Tilemap plugin's inability to mark a tile as having no collision. Though the Tilemap plugin has improved significantly since its initial release, these sorts of shortcomings are why I don't use it in my projects.

I 100% agree with you, I also would have liked to have a third tilemap for jump-throughs, which would complicate issues even further, which leads me to suggest that tilemaps need the ability to set behaviors per tile/groups of tiles.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:02 am

I 100% agree with you, I also would have liked to have a third tilemap for jump-throughs, which would complicate issues even further, which leads me to suggest that tilemaps need the ability to set behaviors per tile/groups of tiles.

Well, that wouldn't really work, since adding behaviors to individual tiles would inevitably lead to people trying to add movement behaviors to them, and that wouldn't work for obvious reasons.

The best workaround I can suggest is to have 3 separate Tilemap objects, instead of 3 instances of the same Tilemap object. That way, you can filter the traces however you want.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:42 pm

Johncw87 wrote:

Well, that wouldn't really work, since adding behaviors to individual tiles would inevitably lead to people trying to add movement behaviors to them, and that wouldn't work for obvious reasons.

The best workaround I can suggest is to have 3 separate Tilemap objects, instead of 3 instances of the same Tilemap object. That way, you can filter the traces however you want.

I tried that, but I couldn't copy the tiles to the clones with JSON, but that's on a side note, I don't want to derail this thread.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:07 pm

ryanrybot wrote:
Follder22 wrote:made a wolfenstein 3d engine with this (:

That looks pretty awesome @Follder22! It would be cool to see in motion. ;)

there, i optimized it alot, added camera moving up and down and added multiplayer with photon plugin :)
wasd - move player;
left, right, up, down arrows - move camera
e - open door

link: http://follder22.webege.com/3dCrap/
B
S
G

Post » Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:25 am

Follder22 wrote:
ryanrybot wrote:
Follder22 wrote:made a wolfenstein 3d engine with this (:

That looks pretty awesome @Follder22! It would be cool to see in motion. ;)

there, i optimized it alot, added camera moving up and down and added multiplayer with photon plugin :)
wasd - move player;
left, right, up, down arrows - move camera
e - open door

link: http://follder22.webege.com/3dCrap/

Wow, is this the first 2.5d thing done in C2? That's a real achievement! Thinking of forking this into another plugin?
B
S
G

Post » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:16 pm

Zebbi wrote:Wow, is this the first 2.5d thing done in C2? That's a real achievement! Thinking of forking this into another plugin?

I dont know how to make plugins (:
B
S
G

Post » Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:42 am

@Follder22

It seems that there are several big plugins in this project
1. Q3D plugin(s)
2. photon plugin
3. jcw_trace plugin

Thus it is not suitable to wrapping all things into a "single plugin", a well document template (capx) is a better solution. imo.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:15 am

rexrainbow wrote:@Follder22

1. Q3D plugin(s)
2. photon plugin
3. jcw_trace plugin

Thus it is not suitable to wrapping all things into a "single plugin", a well document template (capx) is a better solution. imo.

Ahh I didn't realise it used q3d! Amazing work, looks like it might be able to put good use to that q3d I bought a year ago! 😁
B
S
G

Post » Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:04 pm

rexrainbow wrote:@Follder22

1. Q3D plugin(s)
2. photon plugin
3. jcw_trace plugin

But im not using q3d ;)
B
S
G

Post » Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:15 pm

Its just a bunch of sprites "line" with texture, and for each of them casts a ray, wich determinise height of a sprite from ray dustance, also, i dont think i need to combine photon plugin to it, only jsw_trace.
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Work in Progress Addons