[PLUGIN] Noise 2.01b - Alpha Update 2

Completed plugins, behaviors and effects.

Post » Thu May 05, 2011 12:34 am

Woo hoo!
I finally found some time to sit down with this, to see if I can use it for what I have in mind.

I'm just testing out some of the features, like tiling, and I like what I'm seeing.
Having fun with this.

The only one of my tests that failed is the GetNoiseAt function.
I notice in the first tutorial you released (which doesn't work since the update BTW), that you rounded the result and multiplied by 100 to get values between -100 and 100, but by doing the same I only get zero or 100 returned.
If I leave out the multiply, I just get 0 or 1 returned.

My test consists of a 128x128 sprite, creating a perlin noise map of the same size, and applying it to the sprite, which looks fine.
But when using GetNoiseAt, it doesn't seem to return what I expect.

Ignore the second image box.
It's scrolling, just so I could test the tiling. :)

Any ideas?

Krush.
B
S
G

Post » Thu May 05, 2011 2:22 am

^int
Spriter Dev
B
S
G

Post » Thu May 05, 2011 4:58 am

You should be able to just multiply it by 100, as the output should be 1, to -1, and including decimals.
Image Image
B
S
G

Post » Thu May 05, 2011 7:29 am

It looks like you are elsewhere rounding somehow, but I may be wrong. PM me the cap, and I'll see what I can do. If it's a bug I'll fix it, if not I'll fix your cap up for you.

Also, just an observation. It's hard to tell, but the tiling of those two images looks a little off. Did you manually move the camera on that second image? If you did, it looks like you only moved it by the camera size. Keep in mind that to fully move a screen, you have to move CameraSize*2 in a direction. Camera size is a radius, not a diameter. If that makes any sense. Moving in a cardinal direction handles all this automatically. On second glance it looks like tiling is enabled on both of them, in which case camera movements won't matter at all, since they tile on themselves regardless of surrounding noise.

Now I really need to see the cap! :shock:
B
S
G

Post » Thu May 05, 2011 7:33 am

I haven't messed with this at all krush, so i could be way off here, but if you round before multiplying by 100, you're going to limit your answers to 0 and 100 because anything between 0 and 1 will round to 0 or 1 and 0*100=0; 1*100=100

you might have the order of operations reversed, so it's not
round(arsonidething)*100
it's
round(arsonidething*100)

if arsonidething always returns a value between 0 and 1, the first one would always be 0 or 100
and the second one would always end up being a whole number between 0 and 100, like 80 or 14 as opposed to 80.5, or 14.6.

hope that helps

[size=85:2806lqko]edit:not trying to 1up you arson :). I had already gotten done typing this tho, so[/size:2806lqko]
Spriter Dev
B
S
G

Post » Thu May 05, 2011 11:52 am

"And as he bathed in the bright light of knowledge, he felt stupidity being swept away!"

Lol, yeah, it was just a misplaced bracket which was rounding the number before it was multiplied. :oops: :roll: :lol:
Who knows how long I'd have been staring at that before realising it.
Thanks guys.

@Arsonide; the second image is just a tiled background into which I loaded the noise.bmp, and scrolled it with the offset function.
It was just to make sure that it tiled seamlessly when using 1 heightmap (planet size), which it does.

I'm not sure what you're seeing in the screen grab, but there is no scrolling of the image using the plugin at all.

Thanks again.
Now I'm getting the data I was looking for, I can start having some fun with this. :)

Cheers,
Krush.
B
S
G

Post » Thu May 05, 2011 1:51 pm

[quote="Arsonide":1k0uch10]You should be able to set those options in the adjust perlin action, I will look tonight to make sure. Lower than one on the octaves makes sense, thanks. Higher than eight varies depending on your other settings. I have been up to 10 and 12 octaves at times.[/quote:1k0uch10]

What i mean is as single actions rather than needing to set multiple values together, maybe others might not agree but i would find that useful. :)

By the way it would also be useful if in the plugins description it said that you need to place the dll in the same location. I know this of course but it's the type of thing that can easily be forgotten (well by me anyway) so it would be like a useful reminder. :D
B
S
G

Post » Thu May 05, 2011 3:57 pm

I can add that to the description. You don't need to change more than one option with the Adjust actions. You can change one, two, or all of them. I did that so the actions wouldn't get cluttered.

However, if I group them all into a Tweak section, it won't be so bad. I'll look into that.
B
S
G

Post » Thu May 05, 2011 4:33 pm

[quote="Arsonide":3mhgz6ss]I can add that to the description. You don't need to change more than one option with the Adjust actions. You can change one, two, or all of them. I did that so the actions wouldn't get cluttered.

However, if I group them all into a Tweak section, it won't be so bad. I'll look into that.[/quote:3mhgz6ss]

Thanks this will be useful. :)
B
S
G

Post » Thu May 12, 2011 12:05 pm

Thanks!
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Completed addons