[Plugin] Photon Cloud

Post your completed addons to share with the community

Post » Thu May 12, 2016 4:22 am

I've created what I think is an awesome multiplayer game using this plugin (and it runs extremely well!).. Now onto the next step (and it's a big hurdle)..

Anyone have any idea about the process in creating an "mmo" style game using Photon that is equipped with account registration/login and a database to store/load user information?

1. Would we need to run a Photon Server (Self-Hosted) - instead of going the Cloud route?
2. If so, how do we get that up and running: I've followed the quick start guide but no luck connecting via my C2 app: http://doc.photonengine.com/en/realtime ... uick-start

I know this is a big request but would someone be willing to write a tutorial on this subject - it's a bit more complex, and may be out of the scope of this topic, but I know that it would be extremely useful for myself and anyone else working on a multiplayer game (would pay!).
@ThePhotons this may be of interest to you and your team, because to gain any real traction from the "average" Construct 2 user it would be great to have an end-to-end solution.

Any help at all is appreciated - I've really been at odds with this for the past few days, but I'll continue reading more about Photon in the mean time and share what I find out.
B
S
G

Post » Thu May 12, 2016 2:07 pm

digitalsoapbox wrote:1. I wasn't looking for random matchmaking, but a way to only return rooms which meet certain criteria like game mode, a specific stage, etc. Does that make sense?

You can iterate over room list and check criteria on each item. Photon does not provide filtering for room list request.
It does so only when "join random room" operation invoked (not implemented in plugin yet as I said)
B
S

Post » Sat May 14, 2016 5:17 pm

ThePhotons wrote:
digitalsoapbox wrote:1. I wasn't looking for random matchmaking, but a way to only return rooms which meet certain criteria like game mode, a specific stage, etc. Does that make sense?

You can iterate over room list and check criteria on each item. Photon does not provide filtering for room list request.
It does so only when "join random room" operation invoked (not implemented in plugin yet as I said)

I see. Thanks for the head's up. Any idea when such functionality will be added to the plugin?

- N
B
S
G

Post » Sat May 14, 2016 6:29 pm

@digitalsoapbox don't hope for any kind of features for this plugin any time soon ...if ever.
If you look through this thread you'll find that this plugin only got 1 single feature update back in March 2015, one month after release.

Either you can pull off what you have in mind with the functionality already provided or you look for an alternative, like the official MP plugin.
A good thing is they at least keep providing bugfixes if something breaks.
I have the strong feeling that unity is their main focus and they dont pay much attention to the construct2 community.

It would be really nice from the photon guys to just say that they dont plan on adding features to this plugin and
dont keep saying "not implemented in the plugin YET" these are just delaying tactics and a huge waste of time for everybody.

But that's just my opinion and i could be wrong. Time will tell i guess
B
S
G

Post » Sun May 15, 2016 2:44 am

EpicPixel wrote:@digitalsoapbox don't hope for any kind of features for this plugin any time soon ...if ever.
If you look through this thread you'll find that this plugin only got 1 single feature update back in March 2015, one month after release.

Either you can pull off what you have in mind with the functionality already provided or you look for an alternative, like the official MP plugin.
A good thing is they at least keep providing bugfixes if something breaks.
I have the strong feeling that unity is their main focus and they dont pay much attention to the construct2 community.

It would be really nice from the photon guys to just say that they dont plan on adding features to this plugin and
dont keep saying "not implemented in the plugin YET" these are just delaying tactics and a huge waste of time for everybody.

But that's just my opinion and i could be wrong. Time will tell i guess

I don't really have any issues with their responses so far. Sadly the native multiplayer isn't fully cross-platform - no console support - which Photon is and that's what I need. I'm sure it'll all work out just fine.
B
S
G

Post » Sun May 15, 2016 2:56 am

like i said as long as you don't expect any further features you are golden.
But you got a very real game in the pipline and it may make the guys at photon pay a bit more attention to the constuct2 community.
I really hope so, it's not like I don't like this plugin or the photon guys , i just stated the facts within my best knowledge of the situation.
still even without any feature updates its a solid plugin, all i say is dont expect any more then that based on the previous responses.
B
S
G

Post » Tue May 17, 2016 5:09 am

@ThePhotons if we Set the Property of an Actor, how do we Web Forward the request? There isn't an option like in there is for the Raise Event action.
B
S
G

Post » Wed May 18, 2016 8:57 am

Web forward is not even in Photon js SDK yet (only room properties can be forwarded). So in this case we need to update both products.

Construct2 plugin is not priority for us currently. We released basic version as POC and now happy to see that it works good for many Scirra users. This encourages us to invest time in adding some of missing feature. As I wrote earlier, it's not easy sometimes to express even quite simple things in terms of Construct2 visual editor. But things like web forward or room matchmaking basics can be added easily.
B
S

Post » Wed May 18, 2016 9:29 am

Badmiracle wrote:Anyone have any idea about the process in creating an "mmo" style game using Photon that is equipped with account registration/login and a database to store/load user information?
1. Would we need to run a Photon Server (Self-Hosted) - instead of going the Cloud route?
2. If so, how do we get that up and running: I've followed the quick start guide but no luck connecting via my C2 app: http://doc.photonengine.com/en/realtime ... uick-start

1. The main reason to switch to Photon Server for MMO is requirement to handle large number of players. Without client's "interest area" support by server, you end up with too many updates across network. Photon Server goes with MMO application sample. See https://doc.photonengine.com/en/onpremi ... mo-concept and oter MMO documentation for details.
2. What errors do you get in console? Does Photon server successfully starts with LoadBalancing application running? You may test this from PhotonControl tray utility menu.
In client's Photon object properties, HostType should be set to Self Hosted and selfHostedAddress to your server address and port like localhost:9090
B
S

Post » Wed May 18, 2016 7:45 pm

@ThePhotons
1-Where can I download the plugin for c2? (link was deleted and i cant find any new links)
2-Why i cant find SDKs for Photon Chat, plugin works only with Photon Realtime?
B
S

PreviousNext

Return to Completed Addons