[plugin] Steam+leaderboard +experimental lobby [WIP]

Post your work in progress addons and get feedback

Post » Wed May 11, 2016 9:52 pm

yes and I think it's possible to link multiplayer plugin and steam chat lobby (manage friend invits, allow steam multiplayer achievements...) with a lot of work ^^

Edit: But for now, release a fully working and stable plugin for Win7/8/10 (and Linux 32/64) compatible with nw14.0 is my priority ( lite version with overlay/DLC/achievements and other stuff and major version with leaderboard (request steamfriends leaderboard is coming))

Edit2: and probably add workshop stuff (when I have finished my Win launcher for nw export with native windows screen resolution change)
Image Image
B
S
G

Post » Wed May 11, 2016 10:09 pm

I know that some functions will not work with a non-greenlit project but do you know which functions can actually work without the "steamapi .dll" files ?
When I start my game development with the plugin, I would really like to be able to test out certain functions beforehand.

Edit: How do you test functions that require a greenlighted game by the way, I'm just curious? :)
Last edited by TheRealDannyyy on Wed May 11, 2016 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Wed May 11, 2016 10:18 pm

without steamapi.dll? none because without this file, steam api plugin isn't available (same in preview)
without greenlighted game? you have access to user info and Steam UI language and errors for all other functions overlay should work with steam_app_id = 123456
Image Image
B
S
G

Post » Wed May 11, 2016 10:28 pm

MadSpy wrote:without steamapi.dll? none because without this file, steam api plugin isn't available (same in preview)
without greenlighted game? you have access to user info and Steam UI language and errors for all other functions overlay should work with steam_app_id = 123456

I've got a fee for greenlight and access to the steamworks partner websites, can I get the .dll files there or does Valve send them only to games that got greenlit?
(I honestly don't feel well with releasing a game to greenlight that is still in development.)
I'm new to this whole steamworks stuff, I really need some help regarding the whole process with C2 + SteamAPI features.
ImageImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Wed May 11, 2016 10:44 pm

steam Api could be downloaded on steamworks main page (even if you don't have paid greenlight fee or if you don't have a game greenlighted)
steam app ID could be owned when you have a game greenlighted
once you have a greenlighted game, achievements/cloud setting/trading card/leaderboard/etc... could be set in your steamworks partner site for the greenlighted game and you can manage depot/build for your game (demo/test or beta, private or public/version etc...)

Steam advises to not submit a game before it is finished, the integration of the API is at the end.
Image Image
B
S
G

Post » Wed May 11, 2016 10:53 pm

MadSpy wrote:Steam advises to not submit a game before it is finished...

What about early access then? :P
Kinda confusing on Valve's end if you ask me.

Thanks for your time, I think I got everything now.
ImageImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Fri May 13, 2016 8:12 am

TheRealDannyyy wrote:
MadSpy wrote:Steam advises to not submit a game before it is finished...

What about early access then? :P
Kinda confusing on Valve's end if you ask me.

Thanks for your time, I think I got everything now.

If your game is near completion then I strongly advice you to submit it to greenlight as soon as possible. Just make sure that the greenlight page and trailer is as good as possible. The trailer is super important as most people don't even look at your text on the page before hitting the yes/no button :P

The greenlight process can take weeks/months/years or worst case never so it's better to submit it early. When the game is greenlit you don't have to worry. Because there is no pressure to release it. You can keep working on it until you feel it's ready for release.

And thanks to @MadSpy we'll soon have a fully functional plugin that works great with Steam. He has added so much great features to the plugin which are not included in the official greenworks plugin that doesn't work atm. So I really hope people understand how much work went into this plugin that finally gives us a chance to publish our games on Steam without any problems :)
B
S
G

Post » Fri May 13, 2016 10:33 pm

Hey man!

It's amazing seeing how well this is coming along.

Do you have any idea when you'll be releasing the plugin?
I have a game releasing on Steam on the 28th of May and I'm wondering if it's worth holding it's release a little to include steam leaderboards.

It's an arcade shooter so it would be perfect.

Again, amazing work man!!!
B
S

Post » Fri May 13, 2016 11:09 pm

@Flump
I suggest you to not postpone the release of your play...The plugin will be available shortly after your release (maybe soon before but I'm not sure for now).
You can already prepare the trading cards (no need plugin for this) (I recommend a 30 minute drop rate) and any success you want to add
I try to make the integration of the plugin as simple (and fast) as possible for a quick update
Image Image
B
S
G

Post » Sat May 14, 2016 12:07 am

MadSpy wrote:@Flump
I suggest you to not postpone the release of your play...The plugin will be available shortly after your release (maybe soon before but I'm not sure for now).
You can already prepare the trading cards (no need plugin for this) (I recommend a 30 minute drop rate) and any success you want to add
I try to make the integration of the plugin as simple (and fast) as possible for a quick update

Awesome, thanks for letting me know :)
Yeah, trading cards and Achievements are all set.
It was just the leaderboards really...but they can wait until after release.

Thank you again for letting me know :)
B
S

PreviousNext

Return to Work in Progress Addons