[Plugin] Windows Phone Updated - New Tutorial!

Post your completed addons to share with the community

Post » Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:12 pm

@WPGamer It looks like you need Visual Studio 2013? Is that installed?
B
S
G

Post » Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:19 pm

I think I might still have 2012 on here
B
S
G

Post » Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:38 am

Fixed it. Somethings different with the way 8.1 handles Skydrive. I usually have my games stored in Skydrive as insurance in case my pc blows up. In Win8 I was able to save and load to/from the cloud, but with 8.1 I can't load from the cloud onto VS. So moving the folders to my HDD fixed the issue.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:10 am

Cool, good to know.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Oct 19, 2013 3:10 pm

@ thehen I'm struggling with 100MB of music in the xap file. Not only such size is not acceptable, it is crashing my game (which took me a whole day of testing to find out).

Music is way important for my game to be compromised by lower bitrates. Is there any way at all I can deal with this?
B

Post » Sat Oct 19, 2013 4:59 pm

@JunoNgx Please read the Converting Audio section of the tutorial.

You need to optimise your audio. If you unzip it (rename the xap it zip and extract) you'll most likely find your audio is 90mb or so.

If audio quality is super important, then you'll need to reach a compromise. Any mobile game is going to struggle with hundreds of megabytes of uncompressed audio.thehen2013-10-19 17:04:24
B
S
G

Post » Sun Oct 20, 2013 3:04 am

@thehen Certainly, I have read the entire article tens of times over again, but as I have stated, 22hHz and mono channel is not an option.

On the other hand, I also don't think it applies to "Any mobile game". My identical Android version clocks at less than 20MB at decent quality, even when maintaining multiple formats for the same files. I have also seen countless (music-based) games with high-quality at a respectable size.

This issue seems very specific to exporting to Visual Studios from Construct 2. It is unfortunate that audio happens to be important to me this time.

PS: Looks like 22kHz will do. I also cut the gameplay music shorter since the player is not likely to listen to the entire song. Still a compromise, but perhaps it's the best it can get.

PSS: Scirra forum's session expiry is driving me nuts.JunoNgx2013-10-20 06:33:03
B

Post » Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:28 am

@WPGamer, @TheHen SkyDrive on Windows 8.1 is online only by default so a local copy of the files is not stored. You have to go to skydrive via windows explorer (WinKey + E) and right click the directories with your projects and choose make available offline to use them locally.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:19 pm

[QUOTE=JunoNgx] @thehen Certainly, I have read the entire article tens of times over again, but as I have stated, 22hHz and mono channel is not an option.

On the other hand, I also don't think it applies to "Any mobile game". My identical Android version clocks at less than 20MB at decent quality, even when maintaining multiple formats for the same files. I have also seen countless (music-based) games with high-quality at a respectable size.

This issue seems very specific to exporting to Visual Studios from Construct 2. It is unfortunate that audio happens to be important to me this time.

PS: Looks like 22kHz will do. I also cut the gameplay music shorter since the player is not likely to listen to the entire song. Still a compromise, but perhaps it's the best it can get.
[/QUOTE] The Android version is less than 20mb, because Construct 2 compresses the audio for you. I'm assuming you're using uncompressed wavs in Visual Studio. 22kHz worked for me, but if the quality is too low, then experiment with different audio settings. From the tutorial:[QUOTE]This will reduce audible quality, so play with these values to determine what works best for your game.[/QUOTE]
B
S
G

Post » Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:30 am

@thehen Is there anyway I can test the trial mode before uploading for certification? This part of documentation mentions it, but I can't get it to work.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windowsphone/develop/hh286402(v=vs.105).aspx

Did you embed any code in the project template that might have helped in anyway?

Running in debug mode should simulate the trial version of the game. I shouldn't have tampered with the project template.JunoNgx2013-10-30 10:24:45
B

PreviousNext

Return to Completed Addons