[PLUGIN] Zack0Wack0's Construct 2 Plugins

Post your completed addons to share with the community

Post » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:05 pm

Holy crap that is awesome! The new plugin system does what others could not of done. Which i think is awesome. I have one suggestion for networking support Pubnub. Ill see if i can learn how to make a plugin ;)
B
S
G

Post » Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:59 am

First off, thanks to Zack0Wack0 for building the WebSocket plugin, I'm new to this engine so it would have been really tedious to get that working.

As some context to my question, I'm experimenting with using Construct 2 for a client-server type of game.

I've run into a couple issues that limited what I could do with websockets and was curious if anyone had solutions:

1) The event sheets don't seem to have any functions for parsing/manipulating string data so processing incoming data seemed impossible. (e.g. splitting "chat:Player says hi!" into the message type of "chat" and payload of "Player says hi!")
2) I then looked to build a plugin that would do all the parsing, and it would expose events and expressions to the event sheets via that. That worked well except that from what I could tell, the events can't take parameters, and instead the event handler is expected to query state expressions (e.g. Socket.LastDataReceived in Zack0Wack0's plugin). Where this fails is that you could receive multiple messages from the socket before the next AI tick, and since each message just updates LastDataReceived it would result in only the most recently received message's data being available to the event sheet.

Is there some existing functionality I could use? Or am I just trying to do something with Construct 2 that it's not currently designed for?

Thank you!cmiiller2011-08-08 07:59:58
B
G

Post » Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:27 am

In fact, your question 1 is resolved by the context of your question 2. ^^

As you are making a plugin, there will soon be a parsing system if you distribute it (post it on this forum for the community) once it is done.

Events can take parameters. Check out other plugins' edittime.js at the "section" Conditions. Each condition, before the AddCondition() function has several lines to add parameters (check text plugin for example, or mouse).

The "multiple messages reception" part could be resolved by a reception pool.

Theory would be (I can't download the plugin now, the link seems dead/off):

Add an array to your project
Add a global variable "step"
Socket=>"on reception" (something like that, I can't have the plugin under my eyes)
..array. Set at X (where X is global step), value Socket.LastDataReceived
..array. Set size to X=step+1 ,Y=0,Z=0
..step. Add 1 to step

Then you wouldn't get the datas to parse from Socket.LastDataReceived but from your array (array.get(x)).
Once parsing is done, you'd remove the data from the array and substract 1 to step.

Again, that's the theory.
New to Construct ? Where to start

Image Image
Image Image

Please attach a capx to any help request or bug report !
B
S
G

Post » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:32 am

Thanks for the plugins :D
B
S
G

Post » Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:39 pm

[QUOTE=Kyatric] Add an array to your project
Add a global variable "step"
Socket=>"on reception" (something like that, I can't have the plugin under my eyes)
..array. Set at X (where X is global step), value Socket.LastDataReceived
..array. Set size to X=step+1 ,Y=0,Z=0
..step. Add 1 to step
[/QUOTE]
This wouldn't solve anything since the problem comes from the plugin itself. I don't know anything about websocket, their implementation or anything, but I think the plugin should use a stack to store received messages instead of a simple string variable. That way, you could add an event like "While the messages stack is not empty, pop a message, parse it and do whatever needs to be done".
B
S
G

Post » Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:43 pm

This is the purpose of the array stuff as there isn't a receiving stack (or pool) within the websocket plugin.
Any message received in the websocket is directly transfered to the array and later processed by the parsing process instead of being processed on reception with the risks of string change during processing.

Nevertheless adding a reception stack to the websocket plugin itself is indeed a good idea and hopefully will be considered by Zack0.Kyatric2011-08-08 15:47:52

Image Image
Image Image

B
S
G

Post » Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:48 pm

There is no way to tell if the plugin received more than one message during one tick. Storing them in an array is pointless, since you can process them punctually as they arrive. This is a kind of things that needs to be done internally.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:13 pm

I've managed in finaly downloading the plugins.
I only have firefox 5.0 on my computer, and so the plugins won't work.

But I took a look into the code.
[quote]There is no way to tell if the plugin received more than one message during one tick. Storing them in an array is pointless, since you can process them punctually as they arrive. This is a kind of things that needs to be done internally. [/quote]

Whenever there's data incoming, "on data received" will be shot.
Internaly to the plugin, the processing will be the same, and still revolve on a trigger.
This is the way the API is designed.

This mean that each tick, the socket listen to see if it receives any message.
.. If true trigger "On data received"

Collecting to an array in C2 or within the plugin is equivalent.
It will be better/more user-friendly once embedded in the plugin, but my "hack" should work at equal as an embedded version for now. (there only gonna be one set of data received per tick when there is data to be received)

Anyway the support of websocket from a browser to another is random. When there will be a common support (understand firefox6 for me), i'll worry about stacking received datas. ^^Kyatric2011-08-08 17:35:17

Image Image
Image Image

B
S
G

Post » Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:53 pm

I, too, checked the code. But it seems you didn't see things as I did. When the plugin receive a message, indeed the trigger happens, but the "lastData" variable also gets overridden with the new message. So in the unprobable (but possible) event of two messages received between two C2 tick, only the last message is returned via the "LastData" expression. As I said, storing them in an array via C2 WON'T help, and there is no workaround except by implementing stacks (or queues, or any other data structure) inside the plugin.Magistross2011-08-08 17:55:22
B
S
G

Post » Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:59 pm

Thanks for the ideas.

I implemented it in a plugin as a message queue with a MessageQueueCount expression to get the number of queued messages (for convenience with using a Repeat loop), and then a Dequeue action which will update a Data expression with the data received on that message, and it works perfectly. I'll submit it as a revision to Zack0Wack0's git respository when I get a chance.

So now my event sheet looks something like:
Message Received
+ Repeat Server.MessageQueueCount times => Dequeue Message
+ if (Server.DataPart0 == "messageX") => Do Stuff
+ if (Server.DataPart0 == "messageY" && Server.DataPart0 == "blah") => Do Other Stuff
+ etc.

There still doesn't seem to be a good way to do string parsing using the existing Construct2 functions, so I also made the plugin split the data received into parts based on a delimiter, and providing a bunch of expressions to get DataPart0 to DataPartN. Not that elegant but it does the trick.

B
G

PreviousNext

Return to Completed Addons