Plugin/behaviour/effect manager

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Sat Oct 24, 2015 9:40 pm

hi guys,

i'm finally starting the development of my construct 2 plugin manager. i've had some designs, prototypes and such like a few months ago but since i was busy with 10 things at once i had no time to develop this beauty. So what's the point of plugin manager, actually - features?
I've noticed that we have a forum thread on completed plugins / behaviours / effects and they are mostly aggregated in one thread. Finding / checking / installing / using each needs a lot of time and i'm about to reduce that for you in a nice program that will "have it all".

So here are the features i've thought out for development (functional requests):

- uploading / downloading plugins (plugins from here on means - plugins + behavs + effects, but i will write plugins meaning all 3 of them)
- installing / uninstalling plugins (automatic check if they are correct, list of all installed / downloaded etc..)
- split role - developer / user - once registered you can only use as that kind of user (or i could sell as split licence, but that seems bad to me)
- plugins preview (a big screen that shows a html page provided that
- plugins links (direct download link, direct link to forum topic, etc.)
- comments (like on forum, maybe not needed since link to forum will be provided)
- bug reports (each plugin would have a bug report section where you could post a bug report, and developer in charge for that plugin would receive it through system), you could also see if bugs are fixed, marked as not a bug / not fixed and so on...
- version history - developer accounts would have control on what they have uploaded and they could comment and add descriptions to each version / updates / etc., and players could download any version available
- deprecated / unsupported / etc plugins....

add your extra ideas here and i'll take them into consideration...

i'm going to build the program using WPF C# .net framework 4.6 and mssql server (microsoft gives 10gB free space, should be enough :) )

tell me what you think and what would you like to see.. any ideas are good..
also @Ashley i'd like your opinion and requests aswell.. (i had an idea where i would add "breaking change" version where you could add a tick to a plugin if it breaks from new construct versions, though i don't know how i would check that)...
Last edited by saiyadjin on Sat Jan 02, 2016 4:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sea Monsters template - Isometric
Also includes 40 pages PDF of optimizations and "how-to" for your games, and how the "sea monsters" template was built. Follow link for details :)

sea-monsters-templates-and-assets_t162705
B
S
G

Post » Sun Oct 25, 2015 8:45 am

wow, not a single reply...
Also includes 40 pages PDF of optimizations and "how-to" for your games, and how the "sea monsters" template was built. Follow link for details :)

B
S
G

Post » Sun Oct 25, 2015 10:13 am

I'll admit that I'm intrigued by this! Will it work with Rex's repository control?
A big fan of JavaScript.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Oct 25, 2015 12:47 pm

no, this application is a new one, independent of any other plugin/effect/behaviour developer.

rex made that program for himself and his own plugins, it's a good one i'd say aswell. but he can always open an account on mine (once it's released) and upload everything there, and have much more options and control. i'm starting development tommorow, by the end of month i will have alpha version working probably. and by the end of november probably a full release.

B
S
G

Post » Sun Oct 25, 2015 1:26 pm

Might want to list this in the Plugins section so people can find it easier.

I know it is far more important than other people's plugins, but people will be looking there as they are shopping for plugins. Maybe you can talk to a moderator or Sciarra to get a sticky thread, or some sort of elevated status so it stands out more than the others.

Nice work, I might try it later today.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Oct 25, 2015 3:05 pm

This will be very useful. I'm just annoyed that Scirra/C2 has gone the way of Clickteam/Fusion in regard to plugins and such. This should've been made 4 years ago :P
B
S
G

Post » Sun Oct 25, 2015 3:16 pm

i agree..

though, do you have any ideas / thoughts what else should be added / contained in this application?

B
S
G

Post » Sun Oct 25, 2015 3:51 pm

Looks like you've got it all covered as far as I'm concerned. I was thinking of a ratings system to call out busted / unsupported plugins but I suppose the comments will accomplish that.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Oct 25, 2015 4:00 pm

oh yeah, i had that on my mind too, but forget to write it down. added to first post.

i was thinking about something like - if last upload older then 1 year and at least 10 discontinued buttons pressed (will add that button to appear only after 1 year) - mod becomes discontinued and warning message will appear for those who still want to download it as such.

i was thinking about compatibility list aswell (example r210 - some plugin - compatible, r216 - some plugin - incompatible, but i don't know how i would check/controll that) :)

B
S
G

Post » Sun Oct 25, 2015 4:39 pm

Wouldn't be better to just make a place in scirra store where all plugins (free or paid) could be listed, so everyone at anytime could find what he/she needs. Without using any other 3rd party stuff to download other 3rd party stuff ;)
ImageImageImageImage
B
S
G

Next

Return to Construct 2 General