Plugins/effects and C3

Post » Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:55 am

Do you think most plugins and effects for C2 will be compatible with C3 as well?
B
S
G

Post » Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:13 am

Since we can import Construct 2 projects into Construct 3, it seems to me that the plugins will also be compatible.

I think, however, that most plugins should be updated by their authors to take advantage of the new editor plugin sdk. I can't wait to get my hands on it!
ImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Sat Feb 04, 2017 2:35 pm

great, let's hope so!
B
S
G

Post » Sat Feb 04, 2017 3:10 pm

It's too early to tell. But I don't think so. C3 is a completely new editor, which just looks very similar to C2. I think a lot has changed under the hood. We'll see soon I guess.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Feb 04, 2017 4:15 pm

It's all speculation at this point but my guess is that only the official plug-ins will import with the project from C2 to C3. Currently you can't even upload to the Scirra arcade if your project uses non-official plugins. Hopefully I am wrong though as many of our projects rely on community plugins.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Feb 05, 2017 3:21 am

Burvey wrote:It's all speculation at this point but my guess is that only the official plug-ins will import with the project from C2 to C3. Currently you can't even upload to the Scirra arcade if your project uses non-official plugins. Hopefully I am wrong though as many of our projects rely on community plugins.

Are you sure about that?

Some of my games on the Arcade use third party plugins, and they work just fine.

I believe C3 will have an extended javascript API with backward compatibility, so any plugin written for C2 will work for C3. There is no difference between official and third-party plugins. At the end of the day, they are both javascript code that calls the same API.

The C3 engine can be more powerful and feature rich than C2's, however, from a software design perspective, it is very possible to keep the same API, or at least, to keep the same function names and variables for backward compatibility. I think Scirra will not be as stupid as to change the API in a way that it breaks the hundreds of plugins made by the community.

Personally, It doesn't really matter to me. I regularly maintain my plugins and I'm ready to migrate them to C3 as soon as I get my hands on the SDK. If the API stays the same, that's good. If they improve it despite breaking compat, that's good too, the old API is limited in many ways, we have limited editor control, limited or at least undocumented access to other plugins in other objects in the layout, it is impossible to create an object from scratch, we can't manipulate layers, or trigger the loading of another layout. Plus, Javascript is a terrible language, programming in it should be outlawed as it is almost a form of torture, but we're stuck with it. There is a reason why almost all serious game developers who use Unity prefer C#. I digress, sorry.
ImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Sun Feb 05, 2017 3:59 am

@Zed2100 No, I'm not sure, I'm going by this (it is old though, maybe there have been changes):

"The new Scirra Arcade allows you to share your game with the world on the Scirra website itself! Here's what you need to know.

Limitations

Currently the Arcade only supports the built-in plugins and behaviors, except for the platform specific plugins (like the Windows 8 object). Also, the Browser object has limited features on the Arcade: any actions which can navigate to a different page are blocked for security reasons. Currently all third-party plugins and behaviors are not allowed. We'll be looking to improve this in future by adding more support, but each plugin and behavior must be carefully reviewed first to ensure the Arcade remains a safe and secure place to play games."
B
S
G

Post » Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:31 am

I thought third party plugins were allowed in the arcade for a while now. I found this oldish post about it:
new-arcade-beta_t129648
B
S
G

Post » Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:48 am

Cool. That's good to know. Thank you for the more recent info. Maybe I'll upload a few of my small games that I didn't think I was able to before.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:33 pm

Zed2100 wrote:Since we can import Construct 2 projects into Construct 3, it seems to me that the plugins will also be compatible.

I think, however, that most plugins should be updated by their authors to take advantage of the new editor plugin sdk. I can't wait to get my hands on it!

They've never said that C3 will import C2 projects with 3rd party plugins.
B
S
G

Next

Return to General Discussion