Point'n'click graphic adventure game

Discuss game development design and post your game ideas

Post » Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:03 pm

Hello guys.

My question is "Has anyone tried to make a point and click graphic adventure game with Construct 2?"

If not, since I have just downloaded Construct 2, can anyone tell me if it worth trying to make this kind of a games?
B
S

Post » Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:50 pm

Yep some one has. ME :D

Is it worth it?
Well I've enjoyed the work. But I'm still working on the project. You can check the project page here The Blue Code

Well let's just say this. You can use another game kit that makes P&C adventure games. But I hear anything outside of P&C is a lot of work and super hacky.

Where as once you get your P&C system up and running you can then convert it over to other games and if you need anything inserted it's not hacky. It's just C2 coding.

However there is a lot of ground work to do before you your game really comes together.Where as using other P&C tools let's you get going faster.

So your choice is get your game going now and be restricted in potential
OR
Put more effort in the ground work and have a lot more versatility.jayderyu2013-10-31 19:23:52
B
S
G

Post » Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:46 pm

My friend, first of all I have to thank you for spending time on answering my message. But I have to say 2 things. The one is that your link, doesn't work. The second, is that after reading your message, I was confused a little (due to my problem with the English language). So, I have to explain my self a little better.....

I have just downloaded the free version of Construct 2

I have no previous knowledge of programming and I so hate programming

I have tried in the past "Adventure Game Studio" with no big success

Do you believe that making a Point ' n' Click Adventure game with the use of the FREE version of Construct 2, and NO use of another Game Engine, will lead to a success of creating a.....Lucas Film, Sierra-like point 'n' click adventure game OR.......will lead to a fail?

Hope this time, I made my myself more clear.
B
S

Post » Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:24 pm

I also read that the free version has a 100 events, limit. Is that good or bad? :)
B
S

Post » Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:27 pm

The free version is limited to 100 events and families are not supported this would make a point n click adventure game very difficult and or, very short...

If your serious about making a game, either start with a simpler game or invest in the personal edition of C2...
As long as I can move left, right and fire, I'm Happy...
B
S
G

Post » Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:58 pm

Just to add, There is a game called "Jack haunt" which is a classic Lucas arts type point and click adventure, developed in C2...

Read about it here...

http://www.scirra.com/forum/point-and-click-pulp-mystery-jack-haunt_topic68282.html
As long as I can move left, right and fire, I'm Happy...
B
S
G

Post » Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:39 pm

I love the old Lucas Arts P'n'C games, and adventure games in general, so inspired by your question, I've had a try in C2.

Here are some of my findings:

Using the pathfinding behavior makes navigating the classic P'n'C layout easy. Just block out the areas with solid walls and your character will find his way around nicely.

Add all the clickable objects to a Family then you can change cursor style when ever over them. You can change to extra styles using sub-events and variables, based on whether a particular 'Action' button has been selected e.g. Examine, Pick UP etc. This will also determine whether a message is displayed or an action performed.

Having a storage area for picked-up items has been covered many times in the FAQ.

Animations and interactions can be handled as they normally are.

In summary, I would say it's relatively easy to do these type of games, it's just not what people are generally 'commercially' interested in nowadays. Which is a great shame, IMO.

*enough waffle*
If your vision so exceeds your ability, then look to something closer.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:32 pm

If you want to do classic point & click, then Adventure Game Studio is probably the way to go - it's exactly what it's designed for, and since it's been open-sourced it's now available for iOS & Android, though the Android version isn't quite ready for prime time. Gemini Rue, which was recently released for iOS, is all AGS, as is (I think) every game from that developer/publisher, Wadget Eye Games.digitalsoapbox2013-10-25 21:34:00
B
S
G

Post » Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:39 am

I strongly recommend Wintermute engine for this kind of point & click adventure games. There are plenty of A grade games created with it. It support 2.5D games (3D player and 2D envoirment), supports high resolution on games and easy to use.

I just start to make a game with it. Only thing that AGS will better is the community. So you may take a look to that.

http://dead-code.org/home/
B
S
G

Post » Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:45 pm

Or try Visionaire. Most Daedalic-Stuff is made with this.
Visual Novel 'Engine' in 100 Events
if you ever have to choose between buying Construct 2 on scirra.com or on Steam, read this: Review
B
S
G

Next

Return to Game Development, Design & Ideas