Pokemon 1st gen remake possible

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Sat May 04, 2013 12:19 am

Pokemon itself has alot of factors in the overworld and the ingame battles, such as types,stats and not to mention the grass encounters. But it is possible, takes awhile, but its possible. As for phones, I'm not sure unless you can save the monsters on some online webserver or some jazz like that as I imagine adding 323 images could build up alot of memory usage and make it unplayable.
B
S
G

Post » Mon May 06, 2013 2:55 pm

great, now I want to try this. logically I do not see why it is not possible.
B
S
G

Post » Tue May 07, 2013 2:25 pm

[QUOTE=retrodude] Pokemon itself has alot of factors in the overworld and the ingame battles, such as types,stats and not to mention the grass encounters. But it is possible, takes awhile, but its possible. As for phones, I'm not sure unless you can save the monsters on some online webserver or some jazz like that as I imagine adding 323 images could build up alot of memory usage and make it unplayable.[/QUOTE]

You don't need 323 images displayed at once. So RAM is not an issue. Also, 323 pngs, let say even 1000x10000px is not that heavy download wise.
B
S
G

Post » Tue May 07, 2013 8:48 pm

[QUOTE=yonda] yo try to make your own pokemon Style game, that way you can set the rules your way.

I have created Rpg's so i know its a lot of work[/QUOTE]
@yonda

You did !

I would be delighted to see it !

B
S
G

Post » Tue May 07, 2013 10:55 pm

[QUOTE=Whiteclaws] [QUOTE=yonda] yo try to make your own pokemon Style game, that way you can set the rules your way.

I have created Rpg's so i know its a lot of work[/QUOTE]
@yonda

You did !

I would be delighted to see it !

[/QUOTE]

Yeah the first one was created in VB 6! Was just a group Project but very buggy... not finished! Had zelda Style Movement but had a very dark setting.

the Second one was to help a friend with the RPG maker. We just used the standart content shipped with the game maker, so that was nothing special. (bad Wizard kidnapping Sister and you have to get her back) ;-)

But it helped to understand how Rpg's work.

by the way would the "RPG Maker" not be the best tool to create a pokemon clone?
I remember it has an eventsystem as well and is easy to understand.

B
S
G

Post » Tue May 07, 2013 11:08 pm

[QUOTE=yonda]<blah blah>
by the way would the "RPG Maker" not be the best tool to create a pokemon clone?
I remember it has an eventsystem as well and is easy to understand.
[/QUOTE]
I don't know, never used it before. Can it publish to HTML5? Because that's what I'm trying to make, a pokemon game (or RPG) that can be played via a website on a mobile device.Jasper2013-05-07 23:11:03
B
S
G

Post » Wed May 08, 2013 12:03 am

RPG Maker isn't on its own. I've used it before, and it's awesome, but the biggest issue with Pokemon is not even the stats or the Pokemon list, but the database of EVERY UNIQUE INDIVIDUAL POKEMON YOU CATCH.

Every Pokemon in the Pokemon games was unique, even in the same species. This was decided based upon things called Individual Values and Effort Values. IVs were decided upon the moment the Pokemon was either caught or born, and each one was a random multiple of 2, between 0 and 32 I believe. Every EV was done through training, and you would gain certain EVs from battling certain Pokemon, up to a total of I think 255. They modified each individual stat. These are stats that were hidden in the game that players only ever got hints at.

You'll also need to keep track of each individual Pokemon's moveset. Plus, every Pokemon you catch has both a Trainer ID and a Secret ID.

You'll basically need to figure out a way to create a dynamic database for every Pokemon caught, and if you include multiplayer support, ways to represent that to each player. Arrays and JSON will likely be your best friends.

My suggestion: Get really really intimately familiar with the following features in Construct:
* Arrays
* AJAX
* JSON
* Functions
* Families
* Groups
* Event Sheet Includes

RPGs are intense affairs. I'm working on a mere Action RPG and while it's coming along, it's a huuuuuuuuuge amount of work. There's a reason there aren't any complex RPGs out for Construct 2 yet. They're hard and they take a LOT of dedication.

That said, I wish you luck because it would be really cool to see someone do something like that with Construct. Because it certainly can!TL222013-05-08 02:24:34
B
S
G

Post » Wed May 08, 2013 11:33 am

^Thanks for the motivating words

I don't think I'll include multiplayer support. That may be a little too difficult for me.

I'll need to learn a little more AJAX and JSON maybe :).
B
S
G

Post » Wed May 08, 2013 9:31 pm

Replicating Pokemon's engine should be feasible, but the scope of the game is way too immense for a single person to do. Keep in mind that Pokemon is a game developed by a massive corporation.

I would be wary of Nintendo. I've known many non-profit projects get Cease and Desist notices.
B
S
G

Post » Wed May 08, 2013 11:42 pm

I took a look at the credits at the end of Pokemon red and it names only 5 programmers. Note that all the other people who worked on pokemon red created things I don't need to create myself (music, images, etc). The only thing I need to do is program. And don't forget that the programmers didn't have useful tools such as Construct . I see it as a challenge. I like creating games and if it doesn't work, oh well. I can at least create an engine which I might use in another RPG.

I already created the text message system. It's working really nicely [<:o)] .

Thanks for the warning. It might sound a little egoistic, but I think I'll keep this game for myself. I don't think I'll publish it. I might send it to Nintendo to see what they think about it, but that's all so far away. Let's see if I can actually get it to work!

What a shame! The party emote is not displaying properly [<:o)] Jasper2013-05-08 23:43:38
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Construct 2 General