Polling all users: Path-finding Behavior Speed Experience

Get help using Construct 2

Post » Wed Mar 30, 2016 1:29 am

Hello everyone.

I am making a maze game and need the enemies to have intelligent AI, and path-finding is one alternative i'm considering.

But the C2 manual gives me pause, because it states "Calculating a path can take a long time..." I don't want to invest 3-4 weeks developing a game in a particular path (using path-finding and all related events) only to find out it was not worth it because its way too slow.

my layout is 1280x720; the cell size is 32, and i have 10-12 enemies (max). i need the enemies to find their path from way-point to way-point seamlessly without any delays.

QUESTION: does anyone have "real world" experience with path-finding in similar sized projects? where the characters responsive in finding their next path? i want to keep an eye on play ability on mobile devices that are not on the cutting edge of technology....so it should run relatively smoothly across a wide range of devices (although not ancient devices, naturally).

ANY HELP IN SHARING YOUR THOUGHTS, EXPERIENCES, AND SUGGESTIONS WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED :-)

thanks a million to everyone
B
S
G

Post » Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:06 am

Sounds easy to test, and only you know what you want.
Image ImageImage
B
S
G

Return to How do I....?