Poor performance on mobile devices (low fps)

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:56 am

Message: Egyptoon can only post plain text URLS until they have 500 rep. 1 URLS modified. Why?
jayderyu wrote:If you do an XDK build with just a simple index.html file that refers to where you have your preview over lan. You can then just use that single XDK build to just call your current preview. THen you don't need to constantly make builds you have to push up, then download for every test.

However there are some technical details in regards to allowing cross content that you need to deal with. Good luck.

i'm using this technique to preview on my mobile phone directly using chrome browser
here is the instructions:
https://www.scirra.com/tutorials/247/ho ... al-network
B
S

Post » Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:57 am

The web site preventing me from posting urls, just search tutorials for: how-to-preview-on-a-local-network
B
S

Post » Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:22 pm

A new test of Flabby bird game style to test performance on mobile phone.

* Fullscreen scaling: low quality
* Clear background: no
* using "every 0.33 sec" instead of "every tick"
* forcing chrome browser to use "webgl" renderer

and the average fps is 22 on Samsung s3 mini, and about 50 on Samsung Galaxy note 3

How can i improve the performance ? after adding backgrounds and animated spirits i think the frame rate will drop significantly!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
B
S

Post » Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:10 pm

Sounds like you are testing with the Mobile Browser. And I can honestly say that the stock Android Browser is awful for games. Incredibly aweful.

If you can't use the current version of Chrome, and your not up to getting test XDK, then your better of using CocoonJS for straight forward testing. Heck your device might not even have WebGl. I suggest going to CJS Launcher in the mean time.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:47 pm

I'm using the latest chrome browser for android with "Override software rendering list" enabled to allow using the webGL renderer

i found a new update now for chrome, I'll test again and come back with the results.
B
S

Post » Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:18 pm

OMG! much better results after updating the chrome browser for android, about 33 fps average now !
can i get the same results if i build as crosswalk android ?! i'm using the last update of intel XDK.
many thanks
B
S

Post » Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:26 pm

Egyptoon wrote:OMG! much better results after updating the chrome browser for android, about 33 fps average now !
can i get the same results if i build as crosswalk android ?! i'm using the last update of intel XDK.
many thanks

You'll get even better result if build your app with crosswalk, crosswalk is based on chromium, but it's improved a bit.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:08 pm

just a wonderful news ! thanks alot
B
S

Post » Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:40 pm

Another test
I just modified the Auto-Runner example (no transparency and clear bg= no) and build it, here is the results on Samsung s3 mini ,webgl renderer:-

* preview over lan on latest release of chrome browser for mobile phone: fps= 30 maximum
* intel XDK crosswalk : file size = 16mb , fps= 40 maximum
* CocoonJS build: file size= 11mb, fps=60 maximum !

I'm totally amazed by the results!

Now i can start building my game according to these results, if you have any more advices and tips regarding optimization and mobile performance it'll help a lot
many thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
B
S

Previous

Return to Construct 2 General