Poor performance on mobile with a simple proto?

0 favourites
  • 13 posts
From the Asset Store
Firebase: Analytics, Dynamic Links, Remote Config, Performance, Crashlytics on Android, iOS & Web Browser
  • Hello all,

I'm making a simple platform game on mobile devices, and I realized the framerate is very low (20 fps on iphone 4), even if the game is simplistic. I'm simply wondering if this is normal.

I know performance on mobile is nightmarish, and I experienced that before on other games. But is it not weird that a mid-range mobile can't handle a simple prototype? I don't even use big sprites. Is it because of the tiled backgrounds?

Here's my proto test: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/27924504/test/test/index.html

I tested it with an iphone 4.

• Depends how you coded it, size of images, ... without capx, it's hard to say.

Be sure to check this tutorial on the subject : performance tips for mobile games

• You might try removing the semi-transparent button.. I remember alpha rendering drags down performance, and on one game I had several semi-transparent stuff going around (fade in, fade out). I removed it all and it got better FPS.

• Guizmus I checked this very good article many times since months. Except text object, I don't use anything of those performance killers the article advises to remove.

Soybean I removed the button and nothing changes :/

Here's the capx, if someone want to check: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/27924504/test/test.capx

Thank you!

• When I remove most of the stairway platform, it goes from 20 fps to 50 fps. So I guess the problem is the tiled background... It's weird, I believed I can put more than two tiled backgrounds / sprites on screen, even on mobile devices :/

• Lowren,

I've also noticed tiled backgrounds having a negative effect on my fps in the past.

I found this most confusing, as I though the tiled bg object was supposed to be more efficient, and less CPU intensive.

Hopefully someone will be able to offer some insight (@Ashley perhaps you could advise). As this is something I'd like to understand better as well!

• Yeah I reduced the platform stairs and also removed the sine behavior on bananas. I got FPS 10 - 20 while moving and 20 on when not moving, but this is with letterbox scale. I tried reloading your project and use letterbox integer scale and it can go 20+ FPS.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • This reminds me of jayderyu's post.

It _might_ have something to do with the scaling option. I think.

• You're right Soybean, scaling option change everything. It was something I didn't know. I can earn 30+ fps (20 to 50) when I change Scale outer to scale inner...

Thank you for your help, I see more clearly now :)

• Depends how you coded it, size of images

• Helpful response, thank you.

Anyway it's unfortunate that the Scale option is so performance consuming. This is the only solution to make the game suitable for all mobile devices. In any case, it's the only one I know.

• Huh...

I must say this is a quite disturbing information... couse this is exactly what i am using for mine work and i allso have performance issues.

Is there a way to avoid this?

• read about: power of two, images on memory, etc.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)