Porting from Gamemaker

New releases and general discussions.

Post » Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:55 pm

Well if GM does use activex to play in browser then after IE8 it may not work anyway (Microsoft may be dropping IE after 8 for a newer base).
->http://www.osnews.com/story/21120/Microsoft_s_Next_Browser_To_Be_Based_on_Gazelle_

Just thought i would mention that for future use i think Construct is better since it is open source and actively developed with an ever growing decent community.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:14 pm

So how can we help in order for Construct to reach a wider audience? Are there any plans for translation in different languages? The Platform tutorial is top notch, however there are not many tutorials available, especially for noobs like myself!
B
G

Post » Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:00 am

[quote="makis":1m1o2g2x]So how can we help in order for Construct to reach a wider audience?[/quote:1m1o2g2x]
That's not entirely up to us developers... a lot of people need to get involved in spreading the word, writing documentation and creating tutorials for us to be able to get anywhere near the impact companies who have advertising money can achieve.
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:21 am

The benefit of using Gamemaker is that it's done and stable, and that's all. Construct (will) provides more features than the free flavor of Gamemaker, and Gamemaker Pro still lacks a feature or two that Construct has (built-in physics, for example). Also, in terms of visual quality, Gamemaker is decades behind Construct because it lacks support for even basic graphical effects, not to mention pixel shaders.

Gamemaker hasn't had an update in more than a year, but a few million dollars was dropped into development, and an OS X port is in the works.
B
G

Post » Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:59 pm

The organisation of gamemaker's interface and workflow is cleaner and better than Construct, IMO. You have sprites, objects and rooms - draw a sprite, assign it to an object, give the object actions and events, put it in a room, and hey presto - a game! Every component of the game is available in an organised tree structure on the left hand side - sprites, objects, rooms, fonts, sounds, backgrounds, timelines, paths and scripts.

Obviously, Construct's workflow is hugely different, but I still think it could benefit from a central library panel like some other programs (e.g. Adobe Flash). Right now, all the different parts are spread out all over the place, and you can't access all functions from all parts and modes of the UI.

Also, another thing that I think Construct could benefit from is the inclusion of a proper tilemap system. The current method combining sprites and tiled backgrounds (as found in Deadeye's platform school) still feels like a hack or a workaround for something that is quite a fundamental feature of many 2D games and engines. I don't know how it would fit in the current workflow, but I think it's something that should be added in some form.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:03 pm

[quote="GMG":3s69r1mq]The organisation of gamemaker's interface and workflow is cleaner and better than Construct, IMO. You have sprites, objects and rooms - draw a sprite, assign it to an object, give the object actions and events, put it in a room, and hey presto - a game! Every component of the game is available in an organised tree structure on the left hand side - sprites, objects, rooms, fonts, sounds, backgrounds, timelines, paths and scripts.[/quote:3s69r1mq]

How does that differ from having a layout, and inserting a sprite, then drawing an image into it?

Everything to do with an application is found in the Project tab on the ribbon, and settings can all be changed in application settings, also. I wouldn't call it 'spread all over the place', though if you do have a good idea on how we can make it more intuitive, we'll definitely consider it.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:27 pm

I was only referring to the organisation of things - all game elements visible and available on the left hand side, double click to open an edit window. In Construct, some things are in the project window, others in the object bar, or the properties window, etc. As far as the general UI goes, I think GM has an absolute pig of an interface. The frequently over-strict modality is a real pain to work with (e.g. only one script window can be open at a time, and you can't do anything else while it's open!).

I don't agree with your statement that everything can be found in the project tab. There are times that I have had to go through several steps in order to do something simple. I'll try to do some annotated screenshots to show what I mean, but I need to go to work now, so I'll have to sort them out later.

Regarding my suggestion of a library - how about extending the project panel to include all objects in the project, not just layouts and event sheets? Then you can give them a right-click menu to choose any of the options related to them (edit graphics, open event wizard, show properties, etc.). Every element of the project would then be available from one centralised location, like in gamemaker and many other software.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Mar 13, 2009 2:26 pm

I think maybe combining the resources bar and project bar in to one might help. Is that what you're talking about?

If we had one Project bar which had the following folders:
- Layouts
- Event sheets
- Objects
- Sound effects
- Music
- Fonts
- Icons
- Menus
- Binary

...and things could be sorted in to sub-folders within that. Then there'd be a single place to organise the entire application. Sound good?
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:41 pm

Well, I ceratinly like the sound of that, but you guys are the developers and it's your baby. It's still beta software and I'm sure you have your own plans of where to take it. I do think a centralised project library is a good idea - from a project management point of view it's almost essential.

I just realised I may have derailed this thread a little. I believe the question being asked was "where does construct lag behind gamemaker?". I'd like to emphasise my earlier point that the lack of a proper tilemap system is a pretty big deal when it comes to developing traditional 2D games. I know things are moving away from fixed tile grid restrictions these days, but tilemaps are still relevant for 2D development. I hope some form of tilemap system can be added to construct one day.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:36 pm

[quote="GMG":1ej9wabd]Well, I ceratinly like the sound of that, but you guys are the developers and it's your baby. It's still beta software and I'm sure you have your own plans of where to take it.[/quote:1ej9wabd]
I really like the idea of a centralised project bar. I'm not afraid to make fairly major changes to keep Construct moving. The more it evolves the more streamlined it'll get. And our users are an important source of ideas, I don't think it's useful for any developer to shun community feedback and take the project their own direction.

[quote:1ej9wabd]I'd like to emphasise my earlier point that the lack of a proper tilemap system is a pretty big deal when it comes to developing traditional 2D games.[/quote:1ej9wabd]
That's a good point. I believe David had been working on some kind of tile system, but I think other things got prioritised over it and it's not quite finished yet.
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Construct Classic Discussion