Porting from Gamemaker

New releases and general discussions.

Post » Thu Mar 26, 2009 2:18 pm

Something to note is that the resource tab will soon be gone, implemented into the project bar. It was a little redundant and space filling.

Also, you can collapse the ribbon by double clicking it, to gain some room.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Mar 26, 2009 2:44 pm

I think there's a misunderstanding here as to our point. Of course games NEED sprites to be able to change DIRECTIONS.

The thing is Dustin and I are confused as to why changing animation direction has to be linked to rotating the sprite itself.

Look at MMF2, you have animations and animation directions. These are SEPERATE from the "set angle" action in the program. This is very useful and I really think setting the angle and the physical animation direction images shouldn't be linked as it is limiting and makes you create many more animations than you should need just to STOP Construct to change to my image of my character looking down instead of right because I wanted a rotating effect without changing the actual image of the character.

In this example image I show what I'd like to be possible. Animation direction is a seperate thing, and then setting the angle is another, shown here where the images of the animation directions have both been rotated 45 degrees clockwise (in an ugly way), but the angling is leaving the images alone, not try to flip them once they reach 180 degrees.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:49 pm

I'll think about it...but there are properties in sprite which allow some basic control so 45 degrees means it choses the right facing animation frame and wont rotate...but yeah having more power over that is a good thing.

So to prevent 'breaking' old applications we need to impliment this by adding an action...
either : 'Overwrite render angle' or 'Overwrite animation direction' so that if the action isn't called the two are linked...
B
S
G

Post » Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:00 pm

That would be awesome! Thanks for the consideration!
B
S
G

Post » Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:54 pm

Well, I think what you want is actually relatively easy to implement. All you want to do is separate the animation angle from the object angle. We could do that with an option "Lock animation angles to object angle", which if you turn off, allows independent animation angle and object angle control. Sound good?

Would you mind phrasing it as a feature request instead of a gripe in future? This might take me twenty minutes to implement. We're all volunteers on this project, and it's a bit nicer to read through positive feature requests and how that'd allow us to do more, rather than how awful the current system is. I'm all for change, especially when it's this easy. No hard feelings :)
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:11 pm

Sorry, I just sound like an ass when I talk, I love how you actually get things done compared to Clickteam (who like to delete posts or close threads that have suggestions in them).

I just found it a bit strange a choice to merge animation direction and angle after having used MMF for so long... :oops:

Thanks again!

Ps. If it really takes 20 minutes, man you're quick! Don't you have to add conditions and actions relating to animation direction and object angle seperately?
B
S
G

Post » Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:38 pm

Yeah, it's done now, will be in the next build. It's only a small tweak to the existing animation system, so it's not complicated to do :)
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:22 am

[quote="Ashley":3hl9kpxy]Would you mind phrasing it as a feature request instead of a gripe in future? This might take me twenty minutes to implement. We're all volunteers on this project, and it's a bit nicer to read through positive feature requests and how that'd allow us to do more, rather than how awful the current system is. I'm all for change, especially when it's this easy. No hard feelings :)[/quote:3hl9kpxy]

I'm not really sure what the solutions to some of these problems are, though, and I want to avoid saying "do it like mmf did it!" because I'm not sure if that's taboo around here or not.
B
G

Post » Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:48 am

Blasphemer! Outcast! Unclean! :P

No, that's fine, drawing comparisons to similar products is one way that features get refined. Of course the goal is not to "do it like they do" but to at least offer an equivalent solution.
B
S
G

Previous

Return to Construct Classic Discussion