Possibility of Hacking in C2 Games

Chat about anything not covered in these forums, but keep it civil!

Post » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:58 am

I don't think that solves any issue, especially if you hack using the method I describe in my first post.Excal2013-11-15 08:58:15
Project Lead of Zems Online Card Game

Producer at Impulse Limited
B
S
G

Post » Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:05 am

The best solution would be @ashley's where you can have a "Secure Variable" to place a few sensitive things in.

You could even use it for salting :)
Bullets = 10 plus secured variable(.4534534543)
Fire shot = 10 - 1 + secured variable(.4534534543)

Cheat check. If bullets /= (variable bullets + secured variable) then goto cheating page.
Will need to play around as probably example I gave won't work, but you get the gist of it.DUTOIT2013-11-15 09:07:19
You think you can do these things, but you can't, Nemo!
Just keep reading.
Just keep learning.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:49 am

hmm, I have to admit, I used greasemonkey in the past to manipulate webpages, its quite easy to adapt it to have web elements perform any action you want. (it adds custom javascript at run time)

Opera even has built in options to start custom JS script with beforescript and before external script.

I dont think there is any easy way of getting out from under it.

This is one of the reasons Im considering setting up highscore systems for mobile devices and web versions.

The awnser in this post has some very distinctive approaches to make it harder for people to maipulate your web pages:

stackoverflow
Who dares wins
B
S
G

Post » Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:48 am

As I said, a secure variable plugin doesn't actually solve the problem, it just changes the way an attacker would hack your game.
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Sun Nov 17, 2013 3:19 am

For my perspective, in a client based game with no real gain except than self-esteem for finishing the game (aka: no real issue other than the game being finished through cheating), I let the players do what they want.

You bought the game, I let you cheat in it if you want, I disapprouve, but if you have fun without spoiling fun to others, then I won't complain, It is what the game is (sometimes) made for, having fun.

I think the most important is to give the player a good gameplay experience, also, if they cheat, try to understand why, most just cheat because they don't really want to play your game like you wanted, but sometimes, that can mean good things to think about for your next game:

-"I use cheats to adjust the base items so the gameplay experience is different" --> Maybe think about a system to have more possibilities for base items, like a difficulty mode.
-"I use cheats because I can play the character I want everywhere in the game" --> Maybe a challenge mode with all level playable, with the choice of the character since we aren't in history mode
-"I use cheats because Your game can't be finished because there are not enough coins on the map to finish it in a legit way" --> Learn that 36 + 10 is different than 36 (sorry but, This is a stupid case, but it can happen!)
-"I cheat to see ara croft Naked" --> Don't put lara croft naked, just don't!
Game design is all about decomposing the core of your game so it becomes simple instructions.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Nov 17, 2013 6:36 am

Sure, if they buy the game, that's a different story. But that's not necessarily what we're talking about here.

Most browser-based games are not 'bought' but instead are free. This creates a real issue in cheating because of high scores tables, in-app purchases, etc.
Project Lead of Zems Online Card Game

Producer at Impulse Limited
B
S
G

Previous

Return to Open Topic