Post screenshots of what you're working on!!

Show us your works in progress and request feedback

Post » Tue May 12, 2009 11:55 am

Yeah, Dave told me about the smart text shader and I have high hopes for it :D

Are there any examples of the effect online? I'd love to see what it does exactly.

The reason why the font rendering looking cool is so important to me is because the whole game is based on a narrative that runs along with you - imagine a game like 'Another World' and you constantly get hints on the story and what the player has to do when you reach certain points. And right now, everything looks fine, but the moment text pops up... it's so ugly.

@Quazi: It's there :) It's not totally overdone, but if you look at the tree, for example, you should see it.
B
S
G

Post » Tue May 12, 2009 12:21 pm

It's just an ordinary shader, so here you go, give it a shot. It's not perfect, but it fixes the horrible blocky look.
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Tue May 12, 2009 2:01 pm

How does it work? I applied to the effect to the text and tried to change the font rendering in the project itself, but it doesn't seem to do anything at all. It's just as jaggy as it was before.
B
S
G

Post » Tue May 12, 2009 2:07 pm

I think it works best for antialiased font rendering mode, you just add the shader to the text object and it improves it a lot. All the shader does is affect the alpha channel like so:

a = (a - 0.4) / 0.6;

Basically it expands the alpha range 0.4-1.0 to fill the entire alpha range 0.0-1.0. It's as if the text is rendered with the range of alphas being wrong, squashed too far towards opaque.
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Tue May 12, 2009 2:47 pm

thomasmahler@ I'm so impressed with your approach. Since the gfx in old demo i've played ( the one that i had 3 fps ;) ) you have improved on the vissual taste so much! I'm waiting with inpatience for your project be relised.

Ps. i wouldn't mind doing a sountrack for it :)
My professional Royalty Free Music at Scirra Assets Store
--------------------------------
Specs: i5 2500, 16gb of ram, gtx 770, win 7, Focusrite Scarlett 8i6, Mackie mr8mk2, Alesis 320, browsing the net on chrome.
B
S
G

Post » Tue May 12, 2009 2:55 pm

[quote="thomasmahler":5ks9qist]Since Dave liked the graphics so much, I thought I should post these:

img
img

Thanks again to Shvil for making the Overlay Effect working beautifully now :)[/quote:5ks9qist]

using solid blacks when making silhouette games gives a somewhat amateurish feel so i'm really diggin the variety is darks!
B
S
G

Post » Tue May 12, 2009 7:06 pm

Thomasmahler - That is looking gorgeous, definitely looking much nicer than the solid blacks. How are you going about animating the characters?

Wish i had the guts to try a painted game :P But i need to structure everything to keep the look consistent.
B
S
G

Post » Tue May 12, 2009 7:34 pm

thomas, that stuff looks awesome
super atmospheric
Spriter Dev
B
S
G

Post » Tue May 12, 2009 8:04 pm

Glad you guys like it. I definitely had to fight with getting a look that's appealing, yet easy to produce, which was a real challenge. The silhouetted style has been used quite a few times now, but I think the style has its own uniqueness now that doesn't seem (too) cheap or copied.

Going with silhouettes was really more of a compromise going in, cause I knew I'd never finish the game if I'd go with anything more detailed.

@Steven: The characters are relatively simple 3d characters, modeled, rigged, animated in Maya and rendered out with a simple lambert shader set to black - so that all that matters are the silhouettes. Then I take them into Photoshop, scale em down, add the bloom effect and save em as png's. The color correction and sharpen in Construct does the rest to achieve that look.

The characters in those screenies are still placeholders, the style of the actual characters is a bit different to better match the environments and the story.
B
S
G

Post » Wed May 13, 2009 8:51 am

[quote="Arima":3nt2kjkk]I'm making an RPG.
Here's the teaser: http://vimeo.com/3607637[/quote:3nt2kjkk]
Wow, that's actually pretty cool. Not flashy like the other screens, but because you have a functional party system.

May I ask if you have it so it can add, and remove party members?

Good Luck on your project!
B
G

PreviousNext

Return to Works in Progress/Feedback Requests