Prevent two-key movement

0 favourites
  • 5 posts
From the Asset Store
Piano Keys
$3.99 USD
A musical typing game where the goal is to play a song by pressing the matching keys as fast as you can!
  • I'd like to prevent the player from moving when they press two direction keys (eg. W+A or Up+Right).

I tried setting up a condition that prevented movement when two keys were pressed (in my test file I attempted to prevent Up+Right) but the character continues to "float" just a little bit.

Movement_Test

Here's the capx

Is there a good way to get clean, 4 direction movement?

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • I'm not at a computer that has construct on it at the moment, but maybe you could do something like this:

If you are using some kind of movement behavior set custom control to YES,

In event sheet:

If keyW is down and keyA is up and keyS is up and keyD is up -> then simulate key_up

If keyS is down and keyW is up and keyA is up and keyD is up -> then simulate key_down

If keyA is down and keyW is up and keyS is up and keyD is up -> then simulate key_left

If keyD is down and keyW is up and keyS is up and keyA is up -> then simulate key_right

• I'll give it a try, thanks!

• Hey,

Finally getting around to trying this out. It worked quite well! (I only have it implemented in my main project, not my smaller test capx, so I can't share it atm)

The only downside is that the first key that is pressed holds precedence. Ideally I'd like to make it so that the most recent key pressed holds priority. But that's really minor, and it's much better than the "floating" I was seeing.

Thanks!

• Hello! I know this is an old post but I thought I might as well show my 4-way movement:

Give the "player" 1 text variable and 1 boolean variable.

then look at this event sheet:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/61303567/movement.png

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)