Pricing of Construct 2?

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:55 pm

Things have been moving quickly lately and most of what I said in that post doesn't apply any more - we're offering pounds, sterling and euros as currencies.

'Demo' usually means 'time limited to 30 days' or some other time limit. I don't want to give the impression that the free edition is going to expire. It lasts forever, so I think calling it the free edition is fair. Nobody expects the free edition to have all the features when there's a license available beside it.

As for the 100 event limit, well, I'm not sure what you want us to do instead? Should we give away the full version for free? Then how do we keep running? :-\
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:06 pm

I'm stunned that people are still moaning about this. Get real people! How are they meant to make a living if they give away the full unlimited version?

I've happily paid even though I don't use C2 yet. It is in the (possibly) vain hope that an exe exporter will eventually appear, but even if it doesn't, they deserve something for all the hard work they have done for us in creating CC and C2.

zen
If your vision so exceeds your ability, then look to something closer.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:44 pm

I agree. At least in the UK 20 pounds is basically the absolute minimum you can earn for about 4 hours work. 4 hours! I'd say CC has already given me way, WAY more than that in terms of creative fun.

Divide by a year - 5.5p a day - that's nothing!

C2 may be of no interest to me currently, but I'll be buying it just to support the guys who made CC. Also with exporters and browsers improving the usefulness of C2 can only go up.

One thing Scirra might consider to help those talented people who happen to be in places where 20 pounds is a lot of money - exchange quality assets (or services) for a licence. If the full version then comes with 10 times as much content that can only help the sales. Sure, there would be the question of what to consider quality, but this too could be figured out (provide samples and guidelines, etc.).
B
S
G

Post » Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:41 pm

[QUOTE=zenox98] I'm stunned that people are still moaning about this. Get real people! How are they meant to make a living if they give away the full unlimited version?[/QUOTE]
That wasn't the point! A demo version (or free demo version not expiring after 30 days, but still limited) should not be called a free version and presented as an alternative that someone could use to do his/her project, when there are limitations, that prevent exactly that.

[QUOTE=Somebody] I agree. At least in the UK 20 pounds is basically the absolute minimum you can earn for about 4 hours work. 4 hours! I'd say CC has already given me way, WAY more than that in terms of creative fun.[/QUOTE]
That wasn't the point either! Lucky you, that you get C2 nearly for free. I stated in my first post, that I also get C2 for a fair price. So it is not me I'm fighting for! But if you would open your eyes, you'd see that in other countries the people have to work a month or more, instead of 4 hours, for the same amount of money. So please don't argue this way.
And I would like to see your happy face, if someone tells you: "Users from UK will get C3 for the fair amount of 4000."

But hey, it's ok. I won't say anything more about that topic. Let's just abandon all those silly people who are living in such countries.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:48 pm

[QUOTE=Ashley]As for the 100 event limit, well, I'm not sure what you want us to do instead? Should we give away the full version for free? Then how do we keep running? :-\[/QUOTE]
I didn't say anything about changing that or make it the full version. I just don't see, where it is free, when it is limited. So all I'm asking for was to not call it free, and to not offer it as an alternative for those people who can't afford the standard license because of their economy. That last one would feel like a smack in the eye for one of those.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:04 pm

Hmmm lets just call it the limited noncommercial edition?

Also, when you think about it, the limited number of events may actually be beneficial to plugin development.
But then there may be some issues with quality control, and duplications.... plus a few other things later on.
Image Image
B
S
G

Post » Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:12 pm

I don't see a problem with the name. It's perfectly accurate to call it the free edition, because it is free. Perhaps it's a difficult point that people in other countries can't afford the prices we set right now due to differences in economies. This is something we want to work on - other stores can offer different prices to different countries, but it requires some technical work to set up, and has to be done with great care to work accurately and not upset anyone by showing them cheaper prices that are not available to them. I guess we'll do this in future, it's just we have very limited resources so we can't just make it happen instantly.

It's not without some regret that we encourage people who can't afford it right now to use the free edition. We don't like pricing anyone out of using C2. It's just the above issue: we currently can only offer the same price worldwide, and that price has to reflect the reality of running a business in our economy. Yes, it's unfair. No, we don't like it. We hope to do something about it at some point. In the mean time, we suggest using the free edition as a workaround for small projects that fit within the free limits - which is likely to be anyone new's projects for the first few weeks while they get to grips with C2. It's better than nothing, which is why we suggest it.

We're not trying to screw anyone over nor disdainfully ignore those who can't afford it. It's just a tricky issue for a small business to set a worldwide price. I'm hoping we can do something to level it out soon.
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:35 pm

>> So all I'm asking for was to not call it free, and to not offer it as an alternative for those people who can't afford the standard license because of their economy.

I normally agree with Tulamide on things, but come on?! Are we really debating whether the free version of Construct is called free or not? This is standard business practice to give away a reduced version of the software for free in hopes that people will like it and by the full version. A demo version is more of something that is time limited that you test out but can't use longterm. It sounds lame to call it the "reduced version" or "limited version". It's free, you can make games with it and if you want to make bigger games then buy the program...that is how it is supposed to work.

Really, should we be that concerned about people that can't afford the full version?? It's a moot point if this doesn't make any money for Ashley and company and then there shouldn't be any version available at that point.

If it was expensive then that is another issue and we could talk about fairness to those with less money..but $32USD or even $65 is not that expensive. And to those that it is... there are lots of things in life that are too expensive, so you either save for it or you really don't need it.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:44 am

I be using the freebie until I can get the money (still unemployed since layoff and still working on the rent payment here ). I had some chap in another post say s/he not understand why people say "they have no money." As stated in my reply, every circumstance is different. As I get better in CC and learn some C2 (all time permitting), I would then plan to buy the non-business version. Just give me time.

Anyway, to my question that someone may already have asked and had answered somewhere in these boards for which I am not going to go searching for, and this maybe a silly silly question, but the buying option is just for the license itself, and not a different copy of the setup executable, right? We can download the free version and later buy the license to just enter in, aye?

Thanks, all.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:08 am

I'm not just playing devil's advocate here - I'm being completely honest - I think c2 is too cheap. For the non-early adopter versions, licenses should expire (or something similar) every x years.
Also, the commercial version is a bit wonky - it should get more money per project. I mean, the guy is already making $5000 (not profit, of course, there are also the costs of development like programming, art assets creation, music, etc), $99 is nothing.
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Construct 2 General