Pricing Suggestion 1

Post » Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:37 pm

Ashley wrote:One-off payments are not really a viable model for web-based services. In fact it's only a viable business model for C2 because we get a steady enough stream of new users buying it that we stay in business. With that model, if we stopped getting new users, we'd go out of business, even if we had tens of thousands of active users.

For the years I've been working on Construct 2, users have routinely asked for simultaneously more features and lower prices. We have to draw a line somewhere.

You can still continue to get revenue with the standard licensing model by:

- Charging for major software updates
- Charging for premium features/addons - such as displaying ads in a game and being able to do microtransactions
- Charging for exporters - yes, ones that you actually make and maintain - and they compile to native code
- Taking a cut from sales on the asset store
- Charging subscription fees on optional integrated could services that actually do add value to the product (as noted in my previous post)
B
S
G

Post » Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:58 pm

blurymind wrote: You can still continue to get revenue with the standard licensing model by:

- Charging for major software updates
- Charging for premium features/addons - such as displaying ads in a game and being able to do microtransactions
- Charging for exporters - yes, ones that you actually make and maintain - and they compile to native code
- Taking a cut from sales on the asset store
- Charging subscription fees on optional integrated could services that actually do add value to the product (as noted in my previous post)

I would support this heartily. As a hobbyist who makes no money off creations, a subscription is unsustainable for me and I cannot upgrade to C3. But I would gladly purchase the software on a one-off payment with only one export option, and cheerfully pay for major updates. This is also one of the few times I would support microtransactions, and if I ever happened to make a game that required integrated services, I would also be totally fine with paying for that option.

And frankly taking cuts from assets is a no-brainer and I assumed it was already done - I am a graphic artist more than anything, and having a ready audience for assets is worth a small cut of the profits given to the host.
B
S

Previous

Return to General Discussion