Pricing suggestion.

Post » Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:34 am

The $99 per year price is fair IF you a making use of the exporters (now Cloud Compilers) and looking to make a profit BUT if you're a hobbyist who only uses the editor intermittently but wants access to all the features of the Editor and only uses the web and Scirra Arcade export options (available in the free version) to show off to friends, it's hard to justify an annual cost.

I suggested elsewhere that instead of kicking us back to the limited free version of the Editor after the subscription ends, we instead retain full access to the Editor so we can still work on our games and just lose access to exporters - even if that means a slight increase in the initial cost.

Initial Payment $149 = Lifetime access to full features of Editor + 1 year Export License
Further Payments $99 = 1 year Export License
Find all the Construct 2 games that were on Steam Greenlight here
B
S
G

Post » Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:01 am

Tylermon wrote:Keep the subscription, with a catch.

$100 a year. This gets you 1 year of updates and support. It also gives you construct 3 permanently up to the version until your subscription runs out.

After a year, if you want further updates and support you must pay for that annual subscription again. Otherwise you can continue using the version up to when your subscription expired.

Personally, that's the only way I can see myself supporting construct 3. I don't use construct as much as I used to. But I love using it for very quick prototyping. Occasionally I'll do a full project in construct, but the exporter issue always bothers me because the mobile market is so massive.

I simply can't justify $100 annually on something I won't use all time.
On top of that, I still haven't seen any big changes construct 3 immediately brings to the table that construct 2 is lacking.

I suggested this and others have suggested it as well, but @ashley and @tom have very firmly decided to keep on course with the model they have announced - selling us a trial version of their next software :roll:

Once your subscription period ends - you can no longer edit your projects if they were made in construct 3
B
S
G

Post » Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:46 am

blurymind wrote:Once your subscription period ends - you can no longer edit your projects if they were made in construct 3

As far as I know (correct me if I'm wrong) that hasn't been cleared yet. We only know that we'll have full access till the next billing is due. That can mean we'll have some limited access after that (for example not being able to access the cloud, only local files). I'm just speculating of course, but they did say that they don't want to hold our projects hostage.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:54 am

glerikud wrote:
blurymind wrote:Once your subscription period ends - you can no longer edit your projects if they were made in construct 3

As far as I know (correct me if I'm wrong) that hasn't been cleared yet. We only know that we'll have full access till the next billing is due. That can mean we'll have some limited access after that (for example not being able to access the cloud, only local files). I'm just speculating of course, but they did say that they don't want to hold our projects hostage.

I believe Tom said that the free version can open any project in read only mode, when discussing what happens when your subscription ends.

If you could still edit them, just not export to anything other than what the free version can or access cloud services, then my objections to the subscription are lessened, but don't think that is the case.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:49 pm

As it stands, you can only edit projects that exceed the free edition limits if you have a valid license.
Image Image
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:07 pm

Tom wrote:As it stands

B
S
G

Post » Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:36 pm

Tom wrote:As it stands.

ImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:40 pm

Tom wrote:As it stands, you can only edit projects that exceed the free edition limits if you have a valid license.

So might it be possible to do something like this?

Never had a Licence: Projects that exceed the free edition limits are read only
Have an expired License: Can edit projects that exceed free edition limit, but only export to free edition options
Have a current License: Can edit projects that exceed free edition limit, can export to all options

This way Hobbyists (who might pay once) can still edit and share their games and Professionals (who might subscribe) can export to the platforms that are easier to monetize.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:38 pm

OddConfection wrote:
Tom wrote:As it stands, you can only edit projects that exceed the free edition limits if you have a valid license.

So might it be possible to do something like this?

Never had a Licence: Projects that exceed the free edition limits are read only
Have an expired License: Can edit projects that exceed free edition limit, but only export to free edition options
Have a current License: Can edit projects that exceed free edition limit, can export to all options

This way Hobbyists (who might pay once) can still edit and share their games and Professionals (who might subscribe) can export to the platforms that are easier to monetize.

The cloud exporting Doesnt do anything new. It compiles the project like normal from what I can tell. Meaning construct doesn't export to iOS or other devices any differently, it still relies on third party. Simply, your project gets compiled on a remote computer instead of on your own computer.

But what tom said means currently, any project outside the scope of what the free version limits will require a full license if you want to edit that project.
That means an active subscription is required for any projects outside the scope of the free version.

It's a pricing model that only hurts the hobby/independent developer.
Scirra is taking a rather disgusting turn.

Most all other game engines have opened up to embrace Indie and hobby developers. Scirra seems to be pushing them away.
That's how I feel as one at least.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Feb 04, 2017 1:21 am

Tom wrote:As it stands

ImageImageImage
B
S
G

Previous

Return to General Discussion