Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Fri Dec 12, 2014 6:49 pm

Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Fri Dec 12, 2014 8:21 pm

Thank you Ashley !
I never thought about reducing the .ogg files with an external tool . This is one more thing I need to do.
And the tutorial is great !
B
S
G

Post » Fri Dec 12, 2014 8:41 pm

Ashley write a great tutorial here https://www.scirra.com/tutorials/1300/t ... nload-size
B
S
G

Post » Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:34 pm

Ashley makes a good general point about audio bitrates (64k is fine over a phone speaker), but in your case this is a ton of work for an inconsequential gain of 2mb or so.

JPEG is rarely good for game graphics...it's biggest benefit is if you are using photographic sources.

Oh, BTW: If your images are all png32, here's the solution to your problem (@Ashley, you should look at this too, it's superior to the pngnqi lib used by construct):

http://pngquant.org/ --(Search for and DL PNGoo)
And/Or
Web gui for pngquant: https://tinypng.com/

Much like C2's PNG-8 option, this is a lossy technique that reduces the number of colors in an image to 256. However, the algorithm is superior to the one used by C2, and generally produces images that are indistinguishable from the originals. In particular, transparency is handled better, and dithering noise is greatly reduced.

It tends to shrink images by about ~60%. If you have 38mb of images, and all are png32, this should shrink them to ~15mb. That should bring you in under the 50mb total limit.
Don't lose your work. Backup your game with Dropbox.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Dec 13, 2014 5:59 am

Thanks TiAm,

As I said in the original post, I'm already optimizing image with a Mac tool called ImageOptim. The difference seems to be that it's NON-destructive, but it it only makes me gain about 2Mb on 40Mb...
So yeah I'll definitely try the tools you suggest !

I also had good luck in reducing the .ogg file size. First of all I put all my files in mono !!! Then saving it in quality 2/10 (3/10 is equivalent of 110Kb/s, which is about the quality of 128 Kb/s MP3. This is easy to do in Audacity. I don't know if there is a tool that do it automatically, such as for png files...
B
S
G

Post » Sat Dec 13, 2014 6:21 am

I looked at ImageOptim awhile ago and it sounds awesome. Alas, it's one of those rare OSX only apps, so useless to me until I get a mac (or a virtualbox going, more likely). Pngout is pretty good by itself.

If you do go the way of lossy (pngquant/tinyPNG), you can still shave a little more off by running ImageOptim afterwards.

For batching OGG's I like OggDrop. Tiny, powerful, and elegant. Just config the encoder, and drop in your files.

http://www.rarewares.org/ogg-oggdropxpd.php

BTW, Lost Spirits of Kael look great. Your art/animation is beautiful; I love the handdrawn look and the subdued colors. Really looking forward to it. :)
B
S
G

Post » Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:22 pm

Hey, thanks for your kind words about Lost spirits of Kael. Hopefully I'll get the same type of visual result with Healer Quest (the project I'm currently struggling with the export).
I tested tinyPNG, and clearly this will be the way to go if I need to reduce quality. 80% size gain, with still OK result ! Wow !

On the other side I tested Oggdrop, and curiously it enlarged the files I dropped on it (despite the fact that I put the quality below 2)... I should be missing something here...
B
S
G

Post » Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:40 pm

For your audio, you aren't re-compressing your ogg files are you?

If you are really dead set on further compression of your audio (and, frankly, I think you are making a mistake going below ~128kbps), you should at least start with the original, non-compressed files, which should be flac/alac/wav.

Re-compressing lossy formats, be they image or sound, introduces additional artifacts to the output. This is called generational loss: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generation_loss

Oggdrop defaults to quality 4 (q4). This is a quality mode, so it aims not for a particular bitrate, but a general level of quality. Put a bunch of different content in, though, and the bitrate will average to ~128kbps.

It may sound a bit better than C2's 128kbps output, since it's based on a more recent version of the ogg encoder.

Orchestral music can be very challenging for lossy formats; it tends to have more complex harmonics than typical pop/rock music, and a greater dynamic range. This is probably one reason your files are coming out larger than average.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Dec 14, 2014 7:19 am

TiAm wrote:For your audio, you aren't re-compressing your ogg files are you?

I first tested it the way you describe (in a similar way I would do with imageOptim), but ogg drop exported me wav files. So then I've used the original WAV PCM 16 file that I imported in C2. After re-checking, it seems that the file size for q2 in Oggdrop equals the size of 96 Kbps in C2.
I guess the thing to do is to use .ogg from oggdrop anyway, as the quality may be better for the same size.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:21 pm

Migrating to unity because of this problem, my game is larger than 50mb and can not be put into playstore
B
S

PreviousNext

Return to Construct 2 General