Procedural village v0.2

0 favourites
  • 14 posts
From the Asset Store
Set of tiles to create a map for top-down fantasy RPG games with village theme
  • I’m testing a procedural village to use in a future roguelike/rpg, and I’m posting here to get some feedback on how I could improve the procedural generation, or if you have some other tip on the technical /design side, I would appreciate any feedback.

The graphics assets are CC0 just for prototyping for now.

For now it's very basic, but my goal is to include rivers, procedural houses interiors and dungeons too.

Play it here

Arrow keys to move

Left click to generate new

• Looking good so far!

It seems that the collisions are pretty good which is always something I struggle getting correct with procedural stuff, especially tile maps.

I didn't come across any odd looking sets from generating it a couple times, keep it up!

• Looking good so far!

It seems that the collisions are pretty good which is always something I struggle getting correct with procedural stuff, especially tile maps.

I didn't come across any odd looking sets from generating it a couple times, keep it up!

thanks for the feedback.

New version is live now with more variations.

• I would say it looks good. But i think there is no idea makes it diffrent from other games. If there would be one, the game would be verry good i think

• Cryttexx thanks for the feedback, but this is only a study on procedural generation, and maybe if I’m satisfied with the result I will figure out an idea to make a game with this.

• Did you procedurally generate the terrain ahead of time, or are you generating on the fly?

Also, can I see your algorithm? (assuming its not proprietary)

• Did you procedurally generate the terrain ahead of time, or are you generating on the fly?

Also, can I see your algorithm? (assuming its not proprietary)

Hi, the map is generated on the start of the layout, it’s a closed map, not endless as you can see if you move the player around a little bit.

This is a work in progress, and it’s very far from what I want to achieve, but my first approach for the map shape is any dungeon algorithm you like, then think that corridors are roads and rooms are big areas that you can drop anything you like.

The second part is to run loops for the different areas to give them bitwise numbers, then based on that numbers you know where each tile is, if it’s a border tile or if it’s surrounded by other tiles.

Now you can populate those areas you different types of items(houses, trees, fences…)

The third part is to have all tilemaps ready to be “autotilable”, as you can see those fences, trees or rural terrains are “autotilable”, and can have any shape.

This is a basic rough explanation, but I have already more than 300 events in my capx and is only about 20% of what I’m trying implement.

Any tips or ideas to implement other procedural stuff in the map are appreciated.

• I've thought about procedural generation a lot, but the only procedural generation I have done is a strategic-scale galaxy.

It seems to me the art of this kind of procedural generation is careful control of the relationships and spatial paradigms.

But, nice work so far!

• Thanks, I'll try some other features with the Perlin noise plugin.

• Thanks, I'll try some other features with the Perlin noise plugin.

What is size of your map in pxs ?

• > Thanks, I'll try some other features with the Perlin noise plugin.

>

What is size of your map in pxs ?

It depends, but the tilemaps are 64x64 based, so no more than 5000x5000 pixels

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • I noticed that sometimes there are voids of grass that cannot be reached, surrounded by trees or etc.

Those voids can cause some problems in the future, if you will spawn there enemies or chests...

Better practice is one of two: after generation run a search for those areas and create an opening to the player to enter or mark those areas as not for spawning.

• Issue number two, is it okay to get two roads close to each other that it looks like highway?

• Issue number two, is it okay to get two roads close to each other that it looks like highway?

That issue happens because collision masks(Polygons) are a bit rough right now, I’ll fix all collisions polygons later.After that, the player can reach those areas.

Actually, I think I like those double roads

Thanks for the tips and feedback.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)