Programs like spriter

Chat about anything not covered in these forums, but keep it civil!

Post » Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:31 pm

Hi i would like to know iff someonr can tell me what program i should use to anitmate my character. i want a program that i can just import arms and legs and move them around and export as an png.?? please help.
B
S

Post » Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:41 pm

You try inkscape.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:36 pm

Thanks any other suggestions inscape would not install.btw what is the animaion method that spriter use. ps sorry for spelling.
B
S

Post » Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:01 pm

The most established term would be "cutout animation" but that is a poor word to describe the animation you can do in Spriter.

Another program that does the same thing but for Flash is Toonboom Animate

Tween Animation sounds better.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:08 pm

thanks.
B
S

Post » Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:37 pm

Hi kobusvdwalt. The term 'cutout animation' is used frequently, but implies that each body part stays the same throughout the animation, making the character look like a marionette puppet. 'Modular animation' seems to be the established term for a character made from several separate sprites that move around separately. There are a few programs that do similar things, such as Toon Boom(as Julmust mentioned), Adobe Flash, and Anime Studio, but none that I know of that specialize in modular animation. Because they were more built for shape morphing or page-flipping animation, you'll have varying degrees of comfort depending on your workflow preferences. Also, there is and will always be a free version of Spriter that allows you to animate and export to PNG. If you're considering using Spriter but haven't gotten started yet, though, I'd wait for the upcoming version later this month, which has tons of stability and ui improvements.
Spriter Dev
B
S
G

Post » Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:28 pm

Thanks lucid i realy want to support you but as i am only 16 i have no means of paying you.i didnt know that there is a free version of spriter i will be sure to use that, i saw the video on kickstarter and think you did a great job with spriter thanks for the suggestions also.
B
S

Post » Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:27 am

@lucid, Great work on Spriter. Really impressive showcase of Spriter on Kickstarter, BrashMonkey, and YouTube

I watched all the videos and read through the reviews and it sounds like it is a great program.

Just wish I had heard about your project when you were still looking for funding as I definitely would have pledged for such a worthy project.

I have downloaded SprtieBeta.zip and look forward to using it with Construct 2 which I recently purchased.

From everything I know now, there is little doubt that I will be buying Spriter.jwjb2012-08-03 00:52:53
B
S
G

Post » Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:39 am

thank you very much.

btw, the latest Kickstarter update has alot of cool news, and depending how recently you watched the videos, you might not have seen our most recent video, with the all new cross-platform Spriter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/539087245/spriter/posts

[tube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZVNb-8rW5k&feature=player_embedded[/tube]
Spriter Dev
B
S
G

Post » Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:01 am

@lucid, I caught the above video and all the rest which I found to be really informative with lots of great insight on using the tool.

By the way, just registered on your forum site and did not find in the boards when the Construct 2 Plug-In will be available. Any insight into this?
B
S
G

Next

Return to Open Topic