Project bar design

New releases and general discussions.

Post » Sun Mar 29, 2009 2:35 pm

OK I've added global variables.

Controls will be handled via a dialog, in the new redesigned control system, which makes for better usability and sense than if it were crowbarred into the project bar, I'd think.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Mar 29, 2009 2:36 pm

I'm still unsure whether to add a behavior/effects folder, even if it's hidden by default and only shown in an advanced mode. It's a lot of extra work and I can't really see why it's particularly useful, though I'm open to persuasion.

The logic behind adding something to the bar is that you can do something with it. With the new global variable addition you can add variables or delete old ones; with event sheets you can add/reorder, with resources you can add/remove etc.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Mar 29, 2009 2:38 pm

Well, where do we get the list of used plugins, then? ;)

Suppose that someone's been working on a big project for a quite while, adding and removing behaviors... then forgot about one particular behavior that isn't even used. That leads to bloating and potentially bugs.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Mar 29, 2009 2:46 pm

Right click the application and selected 'view used plugins' to see what's been used.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Mar 29, 2009 2:59 pm

Oh yeah! Thanks! :)
B
S
G

Post » Sun Mar 29, 2009 4:27 pm

[quote="Mipey":b6pwk97a]Uh... private variables are gonna multiply like crazy. It is best if we leave them under respective objects they belong to.[/quote:b6pwk97a]

That's why you'd split apart the variables folder into two sub folders - global and private.

Under private, you'd see the objects that actually have private variables assigned to them, so you could roll them out like a folder and you'd get access to their private variables.

No biggie.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Mar 29, 2009 5:59 pm

I notice objects in there. would this replace the object bar? It seams like it would do everything the object bar does and much better to organize.
B
G

Post » Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:33 pm

No, but the object folder functionality is also present in the object bar now.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:54 pm

[quote="thomasmahler":3kcpspow]Under private, you'd see the objects that actually have private variables assigned to them, so you could roll them out like a folder and you'd get access to their private variables.[/quote:3kcpspow]

There is no point in moving private variables away from the objects they are linked to. i think if they were to make it into the bar they should go in under the object itself not jumbled in with the global variables.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:04 pm

Maybe at some point in the future I'll add private variables/behaviors/effects under their objects - or by some other way - but for now I think it's a bit of overkill; the project bar is intended for organisation of an application, not creating or modifying every root of a game. However, I think I may add private variables at least into the tree view of the object bar, which is basically the 'Objects' stub from the project bar in the object bar.
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Construct Classic Discussion