Project file contains UI state

Bugs will be moved here once resolved.

Post » Mon May 19, 2014 8:21 am

Problem Description
In a .caproj file, Construct 2 saves UI state for folders (expanded= lines). When having a project under source control (git in my case) there can be conflicts, depending on whether I had a project folder open or closed when saving. There should be none.

Attach a Capx
Cannot attach, I get the message "The extension caproj is not allowed".

Description of Capx
N/A

Steps to Reproduce Bug
  • Open Construct 2
  • Create a new empty project File -> New -> New Empty Project
  • Save the file with File -> Save As Project

Observed Result
Folder open/closed status is saved in the project file.

Expected Result
Folder open/closed status should be in uistate.xml file.

Affected Browsers
N/A

Operating System and Service Pack
Windows 7 x64 SP1

Construct 2 Version ID
Release 168 (64-bit)
B
S

Post » Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:52 am

Event sheets also have this problem. If you collapse an event or group, then it writes a collapsed="1" attribute into the event sheet xml. This belongs in the uistate.xml.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:50 am

I think you SHOULD save your project in a CAPX format instead of trying to upload a caproj file.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:27 pm

TELLES0808 wrote:I think you SHOULD save your project in a CAPX format instead of trying to upload a caproj file.

Well, not possible if you're using git (or any VCS for that matter).

I prefer having to manually deal with some conflicts when I edit the project on my desktop then pull it on my laptop, rather than not having any serious version control at all.

I hope it gets fixed.
B
S

Post » Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:53 pm

+1

I've already asked Ashley is this something for a bug report, got no response. It should be addressed as it really complicates work with any VCS.

ui-data-stored-in-caproj-instead-in-uistate-file-issue_t106250?&hilit=uistate
Be nice until it's time to not be nice
B
S
G

Post » Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:48 pm

makebelieve wrote:
TELLES0808 wrote:I think you SHOULD save your project in a CAPX format instead of trying to upload a caproj file.

I prefer having to manually deal with some conflicts when I edit the project on my desktop then pull it on my laptop, rather than not having any serious version control at all.

I hope it gets fixed.

???

What I said is, save your project in capx and upload it dude, don't try to upload a caproj because it will miss all the folders and files of your project.....
B
S
G

Post » Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:24 pm

TELLES0808 wrote:
makebelieve wrote:

I hope it gets fixed.

???

What I said is, save your project in capx and upload it dude, don't try to upload a caproj because it will miss all the folders and files of your project.....

It defeats the whole purpose of git. Branching, merging, reverting and rebasing with 1 huge binary file?
B
S

Post » Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:38 pm

I think there is a misunderstandement, Telles0808 asked you to upload a capx file, which will show the project in its integrity for the bug report, in this case though, it is not very useful since it is the project folder save that has the issue (even though I think the capx would have the same information too), I think he meant that the state of the project folders bar should not be saved in the main project file (the caproj one), but inside the one that is said to retain the state of the editor (the uistate one), since the change of state of the editor should not be a data to be uploaded, as it is now, the main file will be changed and upload even if it has no fundamental changes, which can be a problem when working with some source control program in a team.
Game design is all about decomposing the core of your game so it becomes simple instructions.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:10 pm

Aphrodite wrote:I think there is a misunderstandement, Telles0808 asked you to upload a capx file, which will show the project in its integrity for the bug report, in this case though, it is not very useful since it is the project folder save that has the issue (even though I think the capx would have the same information too), I think he meant that the state of the project folders bar should not be saved in the main project file (the caproj one), but inside the one that is said to retain the state of the editor (the uistate one), since the change of state of the editor should not be a data to be uploaded, as it is now, the main file will be changed and upload even if it has no fundamental changes, which can be a problem when working with some source control program in a team.

My misunderstanding, apologies to Telles0808. :oops:

The .capx file is just a zip file, containing the .caproj file, which contains the said setting. But there's no point. It's not project specific, it's the way Construct 2 saves this setting in the wrong file, in any project you create, even an empty one, as I explain in my original post.
B
S

Post » Fri Sep 05, 2014 4:48 pm

There is also problem with mysterious
Code: Select all
sid="8119851569918457"
fields which can cause conflicts when merging two branches.
Be nice until it's time to not be nice
B
S
G

Next

Return to Closed bugs