Project Html5 Game Console

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:36 pm

Not only can run applications produced with construct 2, if not all HTML5 content. Firefox OS works properly on Rapsberry Pi and a very good performance with HTML5. Proof of this can be found eg in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4zkSBxtsCM
B
S

Post » Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:49 pm

You should probably do a little more research.
Image ImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:58 pm

While I do think the general idea is kind of cute, I do have concerns with this project.

Is it going to be anything more than a regular Raspberry Pi in a special case that comes with a pre-installed Firefox OS sd card? I don't see how this qualifies as an actual console to be honest.

I don't mean to bust balls, but I would have really liked to see a more fleshed out campaign that included a video and better english translation.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:02 pm

"Use a plate Rapsberry Pi and Firefox OS to build our HoC console allows us to produce copies at low cost , and to bring them to market at a very affordable price ( Less than 70 )"

for this money you can get:
- used Xbox 360 or PS3 or
- new quad core tablet (like Onda, Colorfly) with 1GB Ram, strong GPU and 1280x800 7 inch IPS screen or
- new mobile phone with 5 inch IPS screen, 960x640 and fast dual core CPU

Ouya got his chance and it was fail. People will not believe such story again :)

Anyway: description looks quite unprofessional

"HoC dimensions will not be more than 12 cm long, 7 meters wide and 4 high" - not more than 7 metres wide? quite big :)

So what's for HTML5 future? I guess if TIZEN will succed, then some people will play on full screen via Tizen mobiles/tabletsszymek2013-10-14 15:14:17
B
S
G

Post » Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:04 pm

Yeah and I dont see why I should buy it, I could just take my raspberry and install your software on it.

And what I have heard, FireFox OS is totally laggy on the Rasberry. How should it be possible to have a good working Firefox OS + a runing Game on the raspberry pi ?

Looks very unprofessionel sry.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:56 pm

Sorry for the off-topic, but why exactly OUYA was considered a failure?
B
S
G

Post » Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:07 pm

@Ciro

from Ouya review from Verge:

- Too few games
- Existing games aren't very good
- Problematic, unfinished interface
- Limited functionality

and summary "the device is currently being sold as a product, not a prototype, and that's just wrong. Ouya isn't a viable gaming platform, or a good console, or even a nice TV interface. I don't know what it is, but until Ouya figures it out, it's not worth $99."

p.s. the biggest income game earned 30,000$ but was sold for... 15$ (TowerFall)
B
S
G

Post » Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:08 pm

@Ciro from what I know, OUYA has sold very few units, makes very little money for developers, briefly had a creepy and disturbing advertising campaign, its company refuses to admit its mistakes, and its Free The Games fund is being openly abused and OUYA is not doing anything about it.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:12 pm

Also, while the concept was original when announced, it's quickly becoming irrelevant: tablet are getting more and more powerful, with tegra 4 GPU coming (ouya is only tegra 3), so you'll very soon see more and more games with advanced 3d graphics. Plus, they now have HDMI output and support blutooth controllers, which means you can turn them into a console if you want. Add to that a much bigger library of games and app (even though ouya is android based, it requires special versions for the apps)
Sure the ouya is only $100, but you can't carry it around with you

So, while the concept was a very good idea, I'm afraid it was a couple years too late. And things are not likely to get better over time.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:22 pm

ahhh the people who don't track Ouya. To make it simple. your all wrong. Ouya failed when they decided to make the controller reflect the current model of dual analog, 4 face and shoulder. When it decided to use that controller design it went head on with Sony and MS. They should have taken a smart route. But enough of that. We are talking about the HoC at this. But your all wrong as to why it failed. :D

Anyways. I think the HoC is a good idea and I really believe a easy cost entry into a console market is desperately needed, but I'll tell you why all consoles will fail.

None of the console makers create consoles for your mom or grand dad. I don't mean that in a "your mom" hostile rude joke either. I seriously mean it on every level from a buisness perspective.

Successful entry has a viable hardware must address the lowest and simplist ease of use for any device. When the use of a device is unituitive, complicated, then the consumer will find it difficult and likely find little value in it's use.

The HoC is designed and focused as a linux market targeted game conole device focused essentially providing a linux experience. As long as linux designers focus on linux users then no linux device will ever take off.

A device if successful against an already established market MUST by no uncertain terms bring in new users to the market. The Ouya only focused on a small market and made 0 effort bringing in new users. the HoC like every other Linux device never attempts to bring in new users, but continue to only attract interest of current consumers.

I think the idea of the HoC is great, but if you want it to succeed. Do this. Throw out your controller. Connect a Wii-Remote/Move/Kinect and base your controller around one of those. Stop visiting linux sites, game developer sites.... and go to Forbes, Womans World, Buisiness today, Martha Stuart. Focus less on Linux and what's powering HoC. Focus instead on what this device can do to make everyones life easier. Focus on start up time, focus on easy to use Weather Apps, focus on House Bulletin boards, Focus on easy to use Netflix, Focus on Youtube on the Tv, Focus on FaceBook on the Tv, Focus on a photo viewer on the Tv. focus on everything but the technology, focus on everything to make life easier. Then Let them know of the cool games that can come with it.

While Towerfall didn't make much money it did however lead to an awesome result. If people would ever do research past what they want to know. Matt the maker of Towerfall is now developing the game for Steam, is looking at bringing the game to Wii U, PS3, and 360. Not only that he now get's sweet work contracts. This was the result of Towerfall. if Towerfall was never released on the Ouya he wouldn't be riding as high as he now. You might only see the results of the game on just the Ouya, but the results are far more impacting.
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Construct 2 General