Proposed licensing model (take 2)

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:40 pm

[quote="Genesys":1orfenup]You guys should revalue your project. Come on, you're not selling Unity, you can't charge that much money for a game editor that's not even in the beta release.
I hope you will revaluate the project, because it's not worth it.[/quote:1orfenup]

This is the purpose of an early adopter version. The only part I see that is not worth it are the commercial licenses, and that's only for now. They would be later on.

I personally think C2 is a huge step backwards, thanks to HTML5 not being anywhere near DirectX in terms of performance and adoption for gaming, BUT there will eventually be an OpenGL option of some sort and C2 will be right back where C1 left off.

So, I don't think a re-evaluation is in order, simply more work is in order!
B
S
G

Post » Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:56 pm

[quote="buddy40":3jfzn7pb]
So, I don't think a re-evaluation is in order, simply more work is in order![/quote:3jfzn7pb]

Pricing is always divisive, but there seems to be a huge divide between those who already see the potential, and those who are waiting to see the features they want before they cast their chips.
Maybe it's better to revisit the topic of pricing (besides the early adopter) until, say, the top 3 requests from the "next feature to implement" poll are completed.

These threads just go around and round.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:12 pm

In a past post Ashley pointed out that Game Maker had a bigger user base support and noted that Game Maker must be going something that Construct isn't.

I do not mind paying for a program and in fact I like to to see improvements and continued existence of them. I am a very small time user and it looks like the 39 / $63.48 (2 years) may be a little high compared to the Game Maker 8's Pro Edition for $25/ version price. Game maker is then free to uses with all updates until the next major version is release.

So with the current Construct 2 model it looks like you get only a partial product that costs more money. Combine that with all the other free game engines and the full featured Game Maker I am afraid you may not not only scare off new users but lose some of your current base.

My advice is look at what other similar programs are charging and price accordingly. Charging now at half the price until Construct 2 is competitive.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:15 pm

[quote:23n414ug]This is the purpose of an early adopter version. The only part I see that is not worth it are the commercial licenses, and that's only for now. They would be later on.[/quote:23n414ug]

Game Maker costs 25 dollars. An early adopter version costs nearly as much, and 10 years of free updates costs twice.
Game Maker is complete. Construct 2 isn't even at the beta stage.

Why I should pay? I'm not even sure if an Android exporter will be made, and if it will be made as a free update for those who paid. There's no planning, so instead of asking for money, they should first make a complete version of Construct with many functions, and then we can talk about paying for it. Again, there's no planning so if there would be a complete version of Construct, I don't even know if they are gonna make the Android exporter.
I don't have unlimited money, and I'm not ever going to buy an unfinished product that I'm not sure will serve my purposes.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:29 pm

[quote="Genesys":2wl3kc6z]
I don't have unlimited money, and I'm not ever going to buy an unfinished product that I'm not sure will serve my purposes.[/quote:2wl3kc6z]

Then enjoy Game Maker and forget Construct exists, I guess. Take a look at it again when it's "finished."
B
S
G

Post » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:37 pm

[quote="buddy40":1xqiop6p][quote="Genesys":1xqiop6p]
I don't have unlimited money, and I'm not ever going to buy an unfinished product that I'm not sure will serve my purposes.[/quote:1xqiop6p]

Then enjoy Game Maker and forget Construct exists, I guess. Take a look at it again when it's "finished."[/quote:1xqiop6p]

Genesys has a reasonable statement.

@ buddy40 - This type of response that drives people away from Construct.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:47 pm

[quote="Guyon":1mq9wlse]@ buddy40 - This type of response that drives people away from Construct.[/quote:1mq9wlse]
Well, I am not Ashley, so doesn't matter what I say.

Let's agree to disagree and leave it alone, shall we?
B
S
G

Post » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:56 pm

[quote="buddy40":1192ubg7][quote="Genesys":1192ubg7]
I don't have unlimited money, and I'm not ever going to buy an unfinished product that I'm not sure will serve my purposes.[/quote:1192ubg7]

Then enjoy Game Maker and forget Construct exists, I guess. Take a look at it again when it's "finished."[/quote:1192ubg7]
That seems harsh. Genesys's point is entirely valid. Why would you pay for something when even the developer doesn't know what will be in the final product? You can't blame someone for not believing it'll do everything everyone wants.

Scirra needs to write up a list of promised features that bound them by contract or else a lot of people aren't going to bother buying until it is finished. If it isn't in writing, there's little to go on besides "faith." Of course, I doubt they'll write up such a contract as there'd be all sorts of legal complications with that. I think the key thing is, if you're going to sell something, it is best to sell it when it exists, not before.

I wonder how this would look to someone who's never used Construct before?

And remember, telling people "Fine, then. Go away." does not help. It is in no way a genuine response.

(I'm just feeling like I have to balance out this discussion a little.)
B
S
G

Post » Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:13 pm

[quote:2wbvjelc]@ buddy40 - This type of response that drives people away from Construct.[/quote:2wbvjelc]

Exactly,The aim is to get more users not lose more users.Everything about CS2 was done prematurely.If the program had more to show then more people would accept a deal like this.And no shader support is also quite bad.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:22 pm

Alright, first of all, nothing has been done yet.

Second, you guys are reading far too much into that simple sentence, and besides, I am not involved with Construct therefore anything I say has as much weight as yours.

Time to contribute something else to the thread guys, or let it go.
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Construct 2 General