Proposed licensing model

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:28 pm

[quote="Neo1000":22a6kgp2]@liamdawe, deebee
The price is sort of ok. But! You own it only 2 years long. It's like if I would give you a software and after one year I take it away from you. I never liked subscription plans and I still don't like it.

Also deebee, if I want I could actually learn a programming language and program for [u:22a6kgp2]free[/u:22a6kgp2]. And if I learn like C# or Lua, I won't be bound with just the exporters Construct has. Yes, it's cheap.

This is the biggest difference
While with 150 Euro I can only have Construct fully for 5 years. I can spend 150 Euro for MMF2 and I can use it also after 20 years. Sure it's then old but I still can use it, because I own the software.[/quote:22a6kgp2]

yes but only if you wont update mmf2 in those 5 years .

and after 20 years with construct, ull launch it one day and get a a nice nostalgic splash screen( Ashley make a sexy splash screen :mrgreen: ) to remember old days.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:32 pm

It's a good idea to not include any splash screens or something. But wouldn't then people tend to juse use the free version. The nag screen can be clicked away and you won't earn anything anyway.

Also, why are you thinking of licensing this now? Wouldn't it be more in the priority list to actually [u:1xmrxmho]finish[/u:1xmrxmho] Construct 2?
B
S
G

Post » Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:33 pm

Realistically, the only way that everyone will get the software they really want, anytime soon, is if the guys can earn enough money from licensing to enable them to work full-time (or near enough!).

I think people should realise that it's do or die time, because if this doesn't come off for Ashley et al, then Construct will not live for very long.

I think there should be a little more support for whatever they decide.

My 2 cents.

Zen
If your vision so exceeds your ability, then look to something closer.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:34 pm

In my mind, the licensing/subscription angle appears to be simple and fair. I have no problem paying, and I think that the Construct team benefiting financially from their hard work is long overdue. When I think of an ideal Construct 2 product, the paid version includes free updates and plugins for the duration of the 2-year period. Continuing support is crucial, and I know personally that you all are committed to that. So excited for Construct 2!
B
S
G

Post » Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:41 pm

So basically, if we buy it, we get free upgrades for 2 years and after that we need to buy again, right?

"Subscription" is an ugly word. "free upgrades for two years" is more palatable I think.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:49 pm

Ashley, there's only one problem I see here, but it seems like a major one.
Someone using it for free gets unlimited updates, but nag screens
someone who pays for subscription basically gets a frozen version, so after 2 years, the free one is actually better.
Also, if it settles on a final model where some people couldn't update for free, the helpfulness of the community would diminish as some people would be asking questions, and there would be a constant,
"I'm using v1.2",
"oh, you should upgrade to v1.3, that bug isn't there"

I think it would be better for the subscription to wear off with the return of the nag screen. You're paying for the right to publish it commercially, it seems anyway, right? or are you just paying to alleviate the annoyance of the nag screen. I know pirates will do what they will, but officially, are you 'allowed' to publish with the free nag version?

Also, I propose a 3rd license model, an indie lifetime model, it would cost the price of the commercial model, but you would get lifetime updates with no nag screens, but still be limited by the 20,000 profit cap. I would definitely be willing to pay for that
Spriter Dev
B
S
G

Post » Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:52 pm

@Ashley
Also another question pops up, you say that you and your team did this because you like programming, well why don't you want to keep it free.? You're not forcing yourself to program Construct because you don't like to program. You wouldn't mind programming 5 million lines for that, you make Construct because it's your passion to program a software!

If I would make a software like this and first let this be free, it will stay free in the future. I don't want to scare away people with a subscription plan.

I wouldn't even mind having to wait every month for an update. But well I can't do anything alone. Almost everyone says that the subscription plan is the best so I'm pretty sure it will stay like that.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:01 pm

@Neo1000

I'm a little appalled at this. Like everyone, the guys would like to earn a living from something they enjoy doing, but you imply they are wrong to do so. :(
If your vision so exceeds your ability, then look to something closer.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:03 pm

[quote="Neo1000":3ay2vfbj]@Ashley...
You wouldn't mind programming 5 million lines for that, you make Construct because it's your passion to program a software!...

If I would make a software like this and first let this be free, it will stay free in the future. I don't want to scare away people with a subscription plan....
[/quote:3ay2vfbj]
That's a silly thing to say. I love to make games. Because of this I have to sell my first salable game. In the real world, if you want to continue to do something you love, you need to make sure your bills are paid first. There's a free version anyway...what's to complain about. I don't even notice when I close the winrar nag screen anymore.

Also, in case this goes to third page, please read my previous post about the third license model idea
Spriter Dev
B
S
G

Post » Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:06 pm

I'm still just annoyed that the first plan was to have Construct open source and later it gets closed source. It's if Mozilla would decide that you pay a subscription plan for the latest version Firefox 4. I wouldn't mind if the next big non-construct project would be a paid software. It just will forever give a bad taste.

As said, there are a lot of people that like this plan and I alone can't do anything about this and I gave my hopes up for Construct 2. I'll just stay with Construct 0.X
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Construct 2 General