Proposed licensing model

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:18 pm

OK, sure, two years of upgrades/publishing sounds better.

The only possible problem is the perpetual license, in the very long term, could end up being a problem. For example, Microsoft are soon dropping support for XP, so everyone who got an "indefinite" license for Windows XP can't expect Microsoft to then fix problems or provide support or updates. If Microsoft did our "perpetual license forever" type thing, XP users (having paid for XP) have the right to get Windows 7 as an upgrade and all the support and fixes, which costs Microsoft money to provide. In short, that would cost Microsoft more than the customer paid, which is why Windows 7 is a separately purchased product.

So I'd suggest the "indie perpetual" is actually a 10-year license at 150 (which would be 200 by renewing normally). You save money compared to renewing and get the product for a very long time. When it expires you are not forced to stop using it.

It's just not long-term sustainable to give away licenses that last absolutely forever. Nobody does that!

Does that sound like a good compromise?
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:23 pm

You could also make money from additional components. I don't know where I've seen this, but there was a tool that charged money for a Box2D physics add-on.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:23 pm

Hmm, this sounds better.
But I still wonder how would you then make a living out of this? When people bought the 10-year license, then you won't get a lot of people buying this and this means you will slowly go out of money.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:39 pm

[quote="Ashley":3p1qw9ej]So I'd suggest the "indie perpetual" is actually a 10-year license at 150 (which would be 200 by renewing normally). You save money compared to renewing and get the product for a very long time. When it expires you are not forced to stop using it.[/quote:3p1qw9ej]

[quote="zeno":3p1qw9ej]Yes please allow for that also, i was originally expecting a payment method like MMF2's you pay a base price for a major version and then it never expires and then you get until the next major release or a bit longer before upgrading.
[/quote:3p1qw9ej]

I think there's one good thing about MMF after all...

Personally I would really like to simply have a pricetag on Construct 2, with a certain healthy set of features. Then I would consider myself owning the product as it is, with the right to publish. Things like additional exporters or extensive plugins could come at a smaller fee too. And should the day come that Construct 3 arrives, I'd be happy to pay for that of course.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:43 pm

right now there's only 2 devs, 10,000 people buying the 10 year license would be $1,500,000, not that everyone would. just saying. I don't know about you, but half that amount would be a few years of my current pay.

also, not trying to be picky ashley, but you said
[quote:1e6oukk7]two years of upgrades/publishing sounds better[/quote:1e6oukk7]
give yourself credit for what you're doing, it's just two years of publishing, if you're allowing the free version to upgrade. so it's a fantastic deal, you should sell it as such.

still though, seriously consider a profit sharing option with plugin makers. if people can make and sell plugins anyway, you might as well get in on that. An ever growing residual income model is the way to succeed bigtime.
Spriter Dev
B
S
G

Post » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:54 pm

[quote="PixelRebirth":3mrulxc8]Personally I would really like to simply have a pricetag on Construct 2, with a certain healthy set of features.[/quote:3mrulxc8]
The problem is this is effectively the "perpetual infinite" license, since our development model only introduces 'minor' updates for the forseeable future.

Because of that, I think we have to stick to some kind of x-per-year. I think a 10 year license is long enough that you don't need to think about it.

I'll rewrite the proposed model and post it again with a new poll in a couple of days (I realise this thread is only a few hours old :P)
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:18 pm

My two cents:

Whatever will come in future, be careful with drastic changes to the licensing.

The biggest influence on the interest in C1 was (and is) that it is free. You want to make sure, there is money to pay the rent - but there is no guarantees. I'm not sure I can explain my thoughts well enough in english, but I will try. You can either think of a number of people, that you hope will pay for something, then decide, how much money you want to make out of this number and hope for the best. But most of the time, you can not rely on any number of possible clients...

From the customer side, I'm not a big fan of any kind of yearly subscriptions. A model that forces me to buy a time-limited license if I expect to make some money with a game, complicates things. I'm not a professional company, I'm just one person. The project may be done after two years, but it could also need three or four years to complete - I would then need to buy another license without having the results I expected when buying the first one. Wasted money.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:25 pm

I still would prefer a base price for the software (could be higher than 40) and then paid exporters (could also have paid requests, for features that don't fit the "typical" spectrum). I am okay with an in-editor nag screen, as opposed to an in-game one, however.

"Subscription" is a dirty word though, and there are ways to add income without it.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:41 pm

[color=#FF0000:3pblpyuf]"40 for 2 years"[/color:3pblpyuf]

I personally don't mind paying up to $100 for C2, however, I absolutely LOATHE the idea of a 2 year license thing. Licensing systems like that is what keep me away from a lot of commercial engines today. I like to OWN what I purchase.

Please, please PLEASE do not go through with that.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:21 pm

How do you propose we issue licenses otherwise? If you pay a one-off for C2, does that mean you get free upgrades for ever and ever? Right now I have zero plans to ever create a "Construct 3". We're going to be incrementally upgrading, and producing new exporters, for the forseeable long-term future.

You do own the software once it's licensed and the no-DRM thing is directly aimed at allowing you to do what you like with the software (e.g. install to thumb drive, no phoning home). Once the license expires there'll be a notification which you can dismiss.

Is it so bad?
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Construct 2 General