Proposed licensing model

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:05 am

Well, I like your proposals, and I have no problem with any of them.
If you're a hobby programmer then 40 for 2 years is going to be well worth it, and if you're more serious about it, then both 40 and 150 for 2 years is still good value.

The only reason Construct 2 is still a No from me is the absence of a Windows exe exporter.
If it has a fully-featured exe exporter bundled with it upon release, then I'd have no problem paying either price.

If there isn't an official exe exporter created at some point down the line (i.e. free for those who have already paid), then I would be giving Construct 2 a miss.
And the possibility of an official exe exporter being released at a later date would not be enough for me to buy in advance of that.

So, in short, a very good license idea in my opinion, but the missing exe exporter is a deal-breaker for me.

Good luck with it anyway.

EDIT: I haven't read the whole thread, but what about upgrading from one license to another?
Is it just going to be a case of paying the difference (110)?

Krush.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:07 am

I would gladly pay, but tying things to a yearly/bi-yearly deal is always a gamble, because should the project end at some point (and it can happen to any project), the end user is left having paid for something he can no longer get the agreed upon updates for.

Here is my thought:

Construct 2 Free - Fully functional but with splash screens and no exporters can be used except for .exe's, no special plug-ins, no updates. Barebones.

Construct 2 Silver - Fully functional, no splash screens. Only .exe's can be exported, only a few essential special plug-ins, updates must be paid for.

Construct 2 Gold Pro - Fully functional, no splash screens, .exe exporter, more essential plug-ins, choice of one major exporter (xna, iphone, etc.), all updates included for the life of the product.

Construct 2 Platinum Pro - Fully functional, no splash screens, all plug-ins, all exporters, all updates for the life of the product.

Construct 2 Custom - Customization is big, and this one would allow us to customize exactly what we want thus determining the final price the we would pay. The minimum would be above Silver, but lower than Gold Pro and Platinum Pro, and as we add things one-by-one we would be able to see the price climb in real-time.

Notice I used the words "life of the product". In order to move developers forward into the future and be able to offer totally new versions of Construct to justify a new purchase, you'd at some point end production and updating on Construct 2 Free, Silver, Gold, and Platinum, and begin a new cycle with Construct 3 Free, Silver, Gold and Platinum... and then 4 and 5 and so on, much in the same way that console dev kits are handled from one generation to the next (i.e. development of new tools and updates on those kits cease, and developers have to pay to move over to the new kit).
B
S
G

Post » Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:09 am

:lol: The model you proposed is a bad one. No new comer will buy C2. It is in it alpha stage right now, you really have no great games to show off the product. It is prone to having bugs with each new up date. I think you should go the Video Ad revenue route along with the closed exporter.

First of all C2 user should have to assign the program to their users account.
So you know if people have payed for the experter or not.
One C2 pogram installed on one pc per user.

For non paying users there should be no exporters at all instead,
Non paying users can could post there games on Scirra gaming site.
This would be like a youtube for games site.
You could put video ads commercial to play before the game start like the videos in youtube.
you could put up html5 code so people link up the game to their web site, or share links to social site like face book, twitter,etc just like youtube dose.
So as people play the game and rate them, you could make best of game page.
Then you could create construct 2 gaming app for google chrome app store where the best games will be featured.
By doing all this you will get more people interested in C2. The people who make game and the people who play then.

If let users decide that their are willing to pay for the exporters (individual ones, or bundle packs) They would have to do it under their user account.

This was you could make money while C2 is in development and when it is out of development.

Edit: ash I really want to know what you think of this idea.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:13 am

I've got one more bit creazy idea... even few. Maybe you could have an add slot whch would be displaying advertisments every 30 minutes in a free verision like free spotify that playes adds every few songs?( I acctualy wonder have anyone cracked free spotify to disable this). Another idea would be just to have adds displayed on program start so user will have to click it in order to start. C2 would have to connect with your servers too to check weather code been modified by cracks or hacks or not. And if it would then it would be automaticaly updateing to original version. And would be good to to have some benefits over hacked versions like some sort of online acces to resources for registered users etc.
My professional Royalty Free Music at Scirra Assets Store
--------------------------------
Specs: i5 2500, 16gb of ram, gtx 770, win 7, Focusrite Scarlett 8i6, Mackie mr8mk2, Alesis 320, browsing the net on chrome.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:15 am

[quote="toralord":1ruih4mv]:lol: The model you proposed is a bad one. No new comer will buy C2. It is in it alpha stage right now, you really have no great games to show off the product. It is prone to having bugs with each new up date. I think you should go the Video Ad revenue route along with the closed exporter.

First of all C2 user should have to assign the program to their users account.
So you know if people have payed for the experter or not.
One C2 pogram installed on one pc per user.

For non paying users there should be no exporters at all instead,
Non paying users can could post there games on Scirra gaming site.
This would be like a youtube for games site.
You could put video ads commercial to play before the game start like the videos in youtube.
you could put up html5 code so people link up the game to their web site, or share links to social site like face book, twitter,etc just like youtube dose.
So as people play the game and rate them, you could make best of game page.
Then you could create construct 2 gaming app for google chrome app store where the best games will be featured.
By doing all this you will get more people interested in C2. The people who make game and the people who play then.

If let users decide that their are willing to pay for the exporters (individual ones, or bundle packs) They would have to do it under their user account.

This was you could make money while C2 is in development and when it is out of development.[/quote:1ruih4mv]

LOL we just had many of the same ideas at excacly same time :D
Specs: i5 2500, 16gb of ram, gtx 770, win 7, Focusrite Scarlett 8i6, Mackie mr8mk2, Alesis 320, browsing the net on chrome.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:17 am

Wow, replies are coming fast...! Kinda hard to keep up.

[quote="ShadF":3rqv5f82]If people needed to pay a license for Construct you would lost 60% of them, 35% would crack Construct (DRM free !!! World Of Goo, awesome independant game, DRM free, 9/10 copies are illegal), how much would you earn ? How much would you lose ?[/quote:3rqv5f82]
So be it. People who don't want to pay for software won't pay. We can't force them. So long as there are enough people who do pay so that we can sustain full time development, I'm happy.

[quote="megatronx":3rqv5f82]It's cool, althought maybe you could add an extra year or two to the early version as won't it take some time, like a year or so, before it will be useful enough to make proper games?[/quote:3rqv5f82]
I think Construct 2 should reach a useful state well within 2 years if we go fulltime - perhaps we could do either 40 for 4 years, or 15 for 2 years, but not both ways, I think we're squeezing ourselves dry to do 4 years for 15 (3.75 a year, by which time C2 should be mature). Is that unfair? I think an alpha license (15, 2 years all upgrades) is fair.
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:30 am

[quote="megatronx":299sgk6w]I've got one more bit creazy idea... even few. Maybe you could have an add slot whch would be displaying advertisments every 30 minutes in a free verision like free spotify that playes adds every few songs?( I acctualy wonder have anyone cracked free spotify to disable this). Another idea would be just to have adds displayed on program start so user will have to click it in order to start. C2 would have to connect with your servers too to check weather code been modified by cracks or hacks or not. And if it would then it would be automaticaly updateing to original version. And would be good to to have some benefits over hacked versions like some sort of online acces to resources for registered users etc.[/quote:299sgk6w]

That's a great idea. Put some ads in the free version to cover the expenses!
B
S
G

Post » Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:38 am

I know where you coming from Ash, thought person who buys hardly functional alpha would do it only becasue of saving some money themselves, and have to be sure that will be able to use it for some time once its functionality will be compleat. And that's the whole point of selling alpha from customeer point of few. From you're point of few you should give a bonus to people who are willing to pay for unfinished product and who trust you that one day it will be fully functional so they can use it at least for some time before they will have to pay the standard fee. You could even go with 19.99 but with 3 years subscribtion for alpha. If you would tell me now that there is going to be some sort of bonus for people who buy alpha, i would ask you for your bank details straight away :)

Edit@Yeah lucid, online arcade is a defo must, and c2 should have a button 'publish online' which would automaticaly exporting to 'scirra arcade' . And acctualy that could be the only way of exporting in free version: straight to your website where there would be adds.

Edit 2@ where did lucids latest post gone?!?!?
B
S
G

Post » Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:56 am

I think judging by the response to 2 years, and who is fine with it and who isn't. if I had never heard of construct I'd find it very unattractive, too. I think it's just because I'm a loyal scirra guy who wants to see you guys succeed that I'm fine with it.

you're going to need a steady stream of newcomers to make it profitable. plus if you can use it for free with a simple nag as a deterrent, well for examplt..I forgot winrar was shareware. the people aren't paying for upgrades, those are free. you're paying to stop being nagged. people will just wait until they are ready to publish a full game to pay. there won't be many. you need to make money off the people who will never finish a game, too.

give out html in the free version, plug nag, plus ads, plus scirra arcade with ad support there, too. get rid of nags and ads for a cheap price

charge for exporters. I think it's a more user acceptable way, and also, a great way to have people continue to pay for it. After a crapload of initial awesome plugs, profitshare to host usermade plugins on scirra. in c1 for example, with just 3 or 4 users making plugs, I probably would have bought a better version of spritefont, custom controls, the camera plug, definitely perlin noise, and s, and probably the ik plug back before s came out. if you made just one dollar off of each sale that'd be 5 from me. you said there have been 200,000 downloads? imagine if half those people bought 5 plugs. that'd be 500,000$

oh yeah, and up the tiered license system. don't sell yourself short. if c2 had been out now for years already, angry birds, doodle jump, xxxxxxxxxx, and a crapload of other awesomely selling indie games wouldv probably been made in c2. make the multitiered license go up, like $10,000 in sales is the $150, $100,000 is a $500 license, and over $500,000 is the $2000. I guess that would be a company wide license with added per seat licenses for each running copy.

those games and users will be rare especially at first, but the whole idea of this is that c2 is good. they will come eventually and even one of the $100,000 would be worth over 10 normal users, not to mention whatever plugins, and exporters they bought.

in 4 years instead of having everyone just pay for the same program again, eventually it will be stable, and you'll have time to just release a boatload of new plugins, exporters, etc, all at the same time, and charge for this new bundle.

edit: sorry megatron, I reread my previous post, and got bored halfway through so I reworded it
Spriter Dev
B
S
G

Post » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:17 am

As someone who studied online business revenue models.
I can tell you that what me, megatronx, and lucid posted so far
could bring you a great number of gamers and creators.
Scirra could be seen as a social gaming networking site.
The profitability could be endless.
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Construct 2 General