Psuedo 3D top down using the new shadow casters

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
With this template you will learn how to use the GooglePlay Games native plugin
  • Note: It's uploaded on the arcade also.

So today I got an idea when messing around with the shadow casters and shadow lights. The shadows created are actually three dimensional (height parameter) and so you can 'project' a shadow as a building for example. Now sure how this could be used other than in a building though, as that is one of the very few things that don't have overhangs, and curves. But nonetheless it's possible, so yeah. Here's how to do it.

[attachment=0:3g4x9rbi][/attachment:3g4x9rbi]

You'll need to click the image to see the whole thing, it gets cropped on the forum.

[attachment=1:3g4x9rbi][/attachment:3g4x9rbi]

The makeup of my capx is the following:

・A layer with the shadow light and casters on it (lights above casters)

・In this layer, the light has the set color effect, so it isn't just black, but can be actually changed.

・The height of the light in my case is 300 and buildings range from 20 to 100, but with higher values of this and the casters' height I think can reduce the fish-eye effect.

Under this I have a generic one color background. Simple as that really.

The following is then a list of limitations:

・Is only top-down

・All 3d objects are the same color and have no shaders or anything of the sort really

・Anything with graphics of any kind cannot work because of the above

・AI line of sight wouldn't really work

・Basically anything else you can think of.

However, there's one last cool thing, you can actually decrease the angle by moving the light at an angle from the scroll coordinates, meaning it's less topdown and more thirdperson.

• Hah, very cool! I can imagine a few game mechanics that could work well with this kind of presentation.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Sumyjkl

Great work... but kind of useless

Look at [Suggestion] Simple 3D objects (especially this post) and [Plugin] Q3D Plugin .

• Sumyjkl

Great work... but kind of useless

Well actually, I would say that it is more useful than it is great work. It is a feature not something I have invented. There are serious applications for it, but they are indeed very limited.

• Sumyjkl

Mate this is quite nice idea. You didn't invent the wheel but you made swings with using them. It's also an invention. I will apply some ideas on this and let you know.

• That's awesome, reminds me of GTA1 perspective. It's kind of atmospheric as it is, too. Nice work!

• Not sure if it is costumary to reply to a few year old posts, but this is AMAZING seriously this has so much potential, thank you for this.

• Berserky

Not usually, but I don't think anyone actually knows why any more. Now that we have notifications on almost every forum in existence, it shouldn't matter.

I would actually really like to see someone make something interesting with this. The limitations are such that it's totally useless as actual 3D (no textures or even colors for that matter) but it might make for some interesting project at some point.

If you or anyone else makes a project I'd love to see what it's like.

• Actually, I've seen a great usage of this effect in a game named "Drone", quite some time ago.

"Drone" is something like a demo and it was made within 24 hours for game marathon at 2014.

Anyway, it uses the shadow-light effect in two ways, firstly to mask/reveal text withing the level and secondly to create 3d-ish walls when the alarm sets off!

See this topic, the online game doesn't exist any more, but you can still download and play the .exe version! It's really great!

• Have you seen Dark Mouse? It looks like it was made in C2 using this shadow technique

• megatronx , indeed it looks like it, but was it really created with C2? Because I saw a

Subscribe to Construct videos now
    in a way that C2 isn't capable yet, without artifacts that is...
  • megatronx , indeed it looks like it, but was it really created with C2? Because I saw a

Subscribe to Construct videos now
    in a way that C2 isn't capable yet, without artifacts that is...

Just watched that bit. yeah, you right. And it look like the shadows are cast from polys. Thought that could be imitated using small objects. But also there is that ground fog that reacts to the player. I can't think of anyway doing it in construct. So it's probably unity.

• megatronx , the problem with C2 shadow-light system is that it doesn't properly support multiple light sources. With just one light everything works fine, but with more lights some artifacts are introduced, meaning gaps between the shadow-casting objects, even when they are perfectly aligned. One can build complex and very dense shadow casting shapes from smaller elements of course, but I am both skeptical and unsure if that will actually workaround the problem...

I hadn't noticed the fog before, good call, this is indeed a nice graphical touch, can't imagine how one could do that in C2...

I am impressed with how this game looks, it has simple but effective aesthetics! Thank you for letting us know about it!

• megatronx , the problem with C2 shadow-light system is that it doesn't properly support multiple light sources. With just one light everything works fine, but with more lights some artifacts are introduced, meaning gaps between the shadow-casting objects, even when they are perfectly aligned. One can build complex and very dense shadow casting shapes from smaller elements of course, but I am both skeptical and unsure if that will actually workaround the problem...

I hadn't noticed the fog before, good call, this is indeed a nice graphical touch, can't imagine how one could do that in C2...

I am impressed with how this game looks, it has simple but effective aesthetics! Thank you for letting us know about it!

Yes, I know the shadow issues. Hopefully c3 will take care of those things! Ashley

And yes the game look neat, and made me think maybe I should do something like this!

• I've noticed the 3D effect is enhanced by having sprites dissapear behind the shadows around a corner of a building. Adjusting the lights z-order or layer will accomplish that. Posting a picture of the effect soon.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)