Psuedo 3D top down using the new shadow casters

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Sat Feb 06, 2016 4:02 pm

@megatronx , indeed it looks like it, but was it really created with C2? Because I saw a review video on Youtube and at some point there were many light sources that were casting shadows in a way that C2 isn't capable yet, without artifacts that is...
composer - multimedia artist
www.eli0s.com/en/
B
S
G

Post » Sat Feb 06, 2016 4:11 pm

eli0s wrote:@megatronx , indeed it looks like it, but was it really created with C2? Because I saw a review video on Youtube and at some point there were many light sources that were casting shadows in a way that C2 isn't capable yet, without artifacts that is...

Just watched that bit. yeah, you right. And it look like the shadows are cast from polys. Thought that could be imitated using small objects. But also there is that ground fog that reacts to the player. I can't think of anyway doing it in construct. So it's probably unity.
My professional Royalty Free Music at Scirra Assets Store
--------------------------------
Specs: i5 2500, 16gb of ram, gtx 770, win 7, Focusrite Scarlett 8i6, Mackie mr8mk2, Alesis 320, browsing the net on chrome.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Feb 06, 2016 5:53 pm

@megatronx , the problem with C2 shadow-light system is that it doesn't properly support multiple light sources. With just one light everything works fine, but with more lights some artifacts are introduced, meaning gaps between the shadow-casting objects, even when they are perfectly aligned. One can build complex and very dense shadow casting shapes from smaller elements of course, but I am both skeptical and unsure if that will actually workaround the problem...

I hadn't noticed the fog before, good call, this is indeed a nice graphical touch, can't imagine how one could do that in C2...

I am impressed with how this game looks, it has simple but effective aesthetics! Thank you for letting us know about it! :)
composer - multimedia artist
www.eli0s.com/en/
B
S
G

Post » Sat Feb 06, 2016 7:36 pm

eli0s wrote:@megatronx , the problem with C2 shadow-light system is that it doesn't properly support multiple light sources. With just one light everything works fine, but with more lights some artifacts are introduced, meaning gaps between the shadow-casting objects, even when they are perfectly aligned. One can build complex and very dense shadow casting shapes from smaller elements of course, but I am both skeptical and unsure if that will actually workaround the problem...

I hadn't noticed the fog before, good call, this is indeed a nice graphical touch, can't imagine how one could do that in C2...

I am impressed with how this game looks, it has simple but effective aesthetics! Thank you for letting us know about it! :)

Yes, I know the shadow issues. ;) Hopefully c3 will take care of those things! @Ashley

And yes the game look neat, and made me think maybe I should do something like this! :D
My professional Royalty Free Music at Scirra Assets Store
--------------------------------
Specs: i5 2500, 16gb of ram, gtx 770, win 7, Focusrite Scarlett 8i6, Mackie mr8mk2, Alesis 320, browsing the net on chrome.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Apr 16, 2016 2:40 am

I've noticed the 3D effect is enhanced by having sprites dissapear behind the shadows around a corner of a building. Adjusting the lights z-order or layer will accomplish that. Posting a picture of the effect soon.
B
S

Previous

Return to Construct 2 General