Publishing on Google Play - 50MB limit

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
Google Analytics 4 Plugin for Construct 3 enables metrics and analytics for your games easily.
  • Hi, I've just started to using Construct 2, and I must say that it's fabulous! I'm sort of indie-amateur game developer in the past I've succesfuly published commercial (non-free) game on Google Play, done in Ren'Py. I'm switching to Construct 2, however I am worried, that compiled, exported and wrapped through CocoonJS ora Crosswalk game will be very large, and total size of .apk will be above 50MB.

So my questions is, does Construct 2 adds large portions of code to finished app? I'm planning to have 20MB graphic assets and about 20 MBs of sound effects and music, and it will be metroidvania platformer. Is it possible, that final .apk file will have more than 50MB? What are your experience?

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Your APK will certainly be larger than 50mb if you use a wrapper. In my experience it adds about 30-40mb to your package.

• If not using a wrapper, what would you use?

• Crosswalk adds ~17MB so it leaves you with ~33MB for your game (images, audio, code)

• Ashley has alerady said what the solution is to the 50MB. however understand that I don't know how to implement this.

1. In your game. Make sure to check for updates. Some how you can specify a URL.

2. Export your game to XDK.

3. Remove game assets that are not part of the "First install screen". (ie UI, levels, audio).

4. Place the HTML export of your entire game at the URL

5. Pack the XDK GooglePlay version up to XDK compiler system.

6. ??????

7.Profit..

no I'm kidding.

6. Players will download the game.

7. Upon first run the browse for update should go to the full games website.

8. Game should now download all assets.

however. i have not done this myself. But this is Ashley's suggestion for getting around the 50mb barrier.

• CocoonJS adds around 8MB to the C2 export, and Crosswalk/XDK adds ~15MB.

However, with a decompiler, for CocoonJS, you can remove the armeabi library thats not required (it has 2 built in, v7 and default, v7 is faster and now widely supported), you can cut that down to around ~5MB overhead only.

• CocoonJS adds around 8MB to the C2 export, and Crosswalk/XDK adds ~15MB.

However, with a decompiler, for CocoonJS, you can remove the armeabi library thats not required (it has 2 built in, v7 and default, v7 is faster and now widely supported), you can cut that down to around ~5MB overhead only.

Cool, I'll try this solution to cut down wrapper to 5MB - that should suffice. Thanks to everyone for suggestions!

• Ashley has alerady said what the solution is to the 50MB. however understand that I don't know how to implement this.

1. In your game. Make sure to check for updates. Some how you can specify a URL.

2. Export your game to XDK.

3. Remove game assets that are not part of the "First install screen". (ie UI, levels, audio).

4. Place the HTML export of your entire game at the URL

5. Pack the XDK GooglePlay version up to XDK compiler system.

6. ??????

7.Profit..

no I'm kidding.

6. Players will download the game.

7. Upon first run the browse for update should go to the full games website.

8. Game should now download all assets.

however. i have not done this myself. But this is Ashley's suggestion for getting around the 50mb barrier.

I dont have the time to test this, but basically you export only a index.html that will redirect to your game's page, so the user effectivelly plays your website version inside crosswalks, and need a connection for the first launch.

Then since the offline.appcache (if you use it) will make it so ressources stays inside the app, and so you access your offline version whenever you want after this.

It is basically the same as the browser version logic, if I am right.

• can you please explain what you mean by this line

"However, with a decompiler, for CocoonJS, you can remove the armeabi library thats not required"

can you please give the download link for the decompiler or steps for removing 5mb overhead. we all will be very thankful to you for this.

• jihun

Follow the steps here to decompile the release and unsigned APK you get from CocoonJS.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthr ... ?t=1989533

Then delete the armeabi file, its around 10MB uncompressed. Keep the v7 (newer) one!

Then compile it again and follow the normal signing and zipalign process.

• sorry for this question but... there is a limit to publishing in google play?

• yes, it's 50MB

• Wait, im confused, there are car games, plants vs zombies, shooters or other games that have more than 50MB. how they do it?

• You can have the following:

1. up to 50MB APK File

2. up to 2 extension files with a limit of 2GB each

So, what you need is provide stuff like music as an extension file and have your game load the music from there.

No idea, how it can be done, as I have not played around with Google Publishing yet, but I am quite sure that it is somehow possible.

• Yeah, possibility to add extensions in C2 would be really nice.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)