Publishing to AppStore without a Mac system

Ideas and discussion about publishing and distributing your games

Post » Tue May 26, 2015 7:45 am

@DUTOIT, haha thanks for that, never really noticed that C2 can't run on mac. Now just waiting for macincloud to reply me. I will post an update once I get a reply from them, so that it could be of help to others.

P.S: Haha I too feel like I've got a strong PC, and I find it pointless to spend so much to buy a mac that is not near it. Would rather use that money to buy upgrades for my PC :P
B
S
G

Post » Tue May 26, 2015 7:59 am

@rekjl, I just upgraded ;)
You think you can do these things, but you can't, Nemo!
Just keep reading.
Just keep learning.
B
S
G

Post » Tue May 26, 2015 9:30 am

answering the first question, it is possible to install the latest vmware machine in your windows pc and create a virtual mac , already done that, long time ago, about 5 -6 months ago, and generated a license, the thing is, you need the ios publisher certificate with out it, its pointless :) if you have that then yes, sure, install vmware and make your games :) until proven other way, my only ios app is still up in the ios store, and it dident got removed from there, by not having an actual mac machine. here is the app the publisher that i worked for changed the name in time, and i lost the track of the actual app in itunes, but if you search it on itunes by the name Doodle 'N' Dodge i think you might get smth AppWebsite
B
S
G

Post » Tue May 26, 2015 10:56 am

@DUTOIT, haha nice! I'm still waiting for a few new generation of parts to hit the market before upgrading.

@gamecorpstudio, does that mean that vmware might have issues with the ios publisher certificate? So I guess the most cost effective would be to use macincloud and similar services to create the certificate, than the next time you want to publish another game, use vmware since you already have the certificate?
B
S
G

Post » Tue May 26, 2015 11:40 am

that can work i guess, dident encountered problems with the mac certification, since the only certification you need is the one you generate from the ios dev store :) that's all that you need then wrap it up in cocos app in the mac machine that's how i done it last time, however for each app you have to create a new certification in the ios developer account, and use the same mac address i guess. dident made more apps using same mac address from the same vmware, but then it might work or not, the only problem is if its not working, or works and you get detected do you get banned from using the ios dev certification? that i don't know... but using the mac-cloud sounds pretty interesting, but then its again some software generated machine, and not a real hardware ... that's why its called cloud .. that and because its on internet hosted memory... i mean ... nobody really knows how the cloud works, but .. then you should ask the guys who offer this services they might had this questions before :)

however if the mac address isn't good you wont be able to wrap the game, but that's not detectable in an APK or ios compiler since its offline mode, in your computer so its not going to fail working, you should logically make as many ios apps you want with an vmware as long you have a ios certification and you able to generate more certifications for each app... (the ios dev cert, is different then the mac address you ask for) if you have a license for ios apps you should check the create certification area. its easy and you don't need to prove to no1 you actually own an mac, there is no security for that, and no1 will be able to check if that machine exists, since maybe you might buy'd it on black market... or built your own.. presumably.

the certification you create in ios dev center, its reading the com.yourappname.com id in your project, based on that id the certification will be available for the app.

so for each app you make for the ios devices you'd have a different com.yourappname.com id, so you'd be needing a different certification again.

hope it answered your questions, the only thing you can do is trial and error as long as you have access to a ios dev account, and a full vmware set for ios app wrapping

but if i remember correctly the mac i used was actually not in vmware but in virtualbox its basically the same just works better and has better options
B
S
G

Post » Tue May 26, 2015 2:25 pm

Hmm, that is not good
B
S
G

Post » Wed May 27, 2015 2:04 pm

@gamecorpstudio, wow thank you for that! True, I can't find any info on whether or not Apply might ban you or punish you if they detect you were using some sort of illegal means to create those certificates. I guess that was one of the main reasons why I was gearing towards macincloud. I saw many recommending virtualbox as well in the other forums. I will go take a look and just have a look at how it works and if there are any current information on whether it will work and how to make it work. Haha since I am not that good with the deeper technical side of computers, I am worried of going to deep and end up messing my computer. Hopefully it doesn't deal with the root files.

Also, macincloud did respond to me today, but their answer was simple, they are there to help me but they are only able to assist me in the making sure the system runs perfectly for me. The process of creating the certificates are out of their expertise so they will not be able to help. At least a very honest answer. They did recommend me to try the trial first to make sure everything can work.

Haha curse you apple for making it so hard and expensive!! :lol:
B
S
G

Post » Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:10 pm

Buy a second hand Mac Mini with Mavericks installed, or go the VM Ware route. I've published lots of apps with a Mini and and a VMware Mac, but VM is very slow FPS-wise even with a decent spec PC.
You can create certs/identifiers/profiles on a PC, you only need the Mac for uploading the IPA to iTunes Connect (via Application Loader or XCode)
A Mac is essential if you use Ejecta or PhoneGap CLI, and you get the benefits of XCode Simulator for testing and screenshots.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Jun 11, 2015 2:18 am

@aquinn, thanks for that. When you say create certs and ids on PC, do you mean using VMware? If that's true than I could create the certs in my pc than rent a mac to upload the game.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:09 am

You can create the .mobileprovision provisioning profiles for Adhoc and App Store distribution on a PC only, through https://developer.apple.com

You need a Mac for the p12 certificate, but a VMware Mac will work.

For uploading the IPA, you also need a Mac.
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Distribution and Publishing