Python support announced

New releases and general discussions.

Post » Sun Dec 16, 2007 6:53 pm

[quote="Ashley":fbbgk6ke]As for SDKs, Python plugins etc. we have plans to significantly improve the modularity of coding with events, and python fits in to this rather neatly. We'll be announcing more stuff in future :)[/quote:fbbgk6ke]

Yay. That's nice to hear :).
B
S
G

Post » Mon Dec 17, 2007 7:39 am

[quote="nobuyuki":ujxbti50]
As for Ruby and Lua, please god no. Beauty in language? Are you guys smoking your CS majors?[/quote:ujxbti50]
I don't have a CS major. But I do smoke.

[quote="nobuyuki":ujxbti50]The whole idea about easy tools like Construct is that form follows function -- it does what it does and it does it good, effective, and easy.[/quote:ujxbti50]
Yes!
But doing it in style counts for a lot too! ;)
And it might be a bit easier for people without a programmers background to understand "10.times do print 'Hello' end"
better than "for i in range(10): <newline here> <some whitespace here> print 'Hello'<another newline>"

Ok, so what if I'm a bit biased... ;)

[quote="nobuyuki":ujxbti50]I should disclose my personal bias by saying that I'm a BASIC programmer and I don't give a crap about "beauty" in the classic programmer's sense -- verbosity makes it much easier for ANYONE to get into programming vs. something that looks like a math problem.
[/quote:ujxbti50]
I have a long history with BASIC. It was what I began with almost 20 years ago, and it's what I use mostly today. BASIC is not a pretty language. :)

It's just that I really dislike that whitespace plays such a big role. And I really believe that Ruby is so much easier to read and understand.

But arguing about this is futile, since Ashley have already decided to go the Python route. :)

[quote="nobuyuki":ujxbti50]
Edit: To not sound like a hypocrite I also request that Scirra's inline python editor provide auto-tabs[/quote:ujxbti50]
I agree! Syntax highlighting would be nice too.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:47 am

ooh yes, syntax highlighting. Luckily, there's tons of great libs out there already to provide "drop-in" IDE performance features for coding such as syntax highlighting and auto-tabs. Just think about this, deps. MSVS puts tabs in for you now, so really there's no reason to hate tabs out of laziness (which was my main reason I didn't like forced whitespace). If the IDE used for Python in Scirra Construct did the same thing, I could care less about forced whitespace. The IDE would usually handle it, and eventually (this is what happened to me), I started tabbing out of habit anyway to avoid the auto-tabs making me lose my place.
B
G

Post » Tue Dec 18, 2007 10:28 am

Very good news!
Using both events AND scripts is the most comfortable solution!
The ability to script will surely stimulate the interest of Game Maker community as well!
B
S
G

Post » Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:22 pm

I'm a little concerned that one or the other will be neglected, but we'll see what happens. I know that's not the plan, but often when you have two entirely different ways of coding something, one way takes precedence.

But I really do welcome the whole modularity thing.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:23 am

[quote="Dines":1iwprpdy]I'm a little concerned that one or the other will be neglected, but we'll see what happens. I know that's not the plan, but often when you have two entirely different ways of coding something, one way takes precedence.[/quote:1iwprpdy]

Same for me.

I use a program like this to avoid scripting. As, long as the events stay the focus, then I support it ... otherwise I guess Construct is not what I need.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:42 am

I think construct is meant to be "no coding needed". But I've been working with that for years now I'm im definately interested in putting some "real" code in my apps. But learning from scratch is quite depressing ;)

I think this sounds awesome.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:12 pm

Just to reassure some of you, we will still be staying committed to events and script-free coding. If we add a new feature it will be available in both python and events. I intend that it be possible to write entire games either purely in events, or purely in script - or with both, in a way that each complements the other.
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Previous

Return to Construct Classic Discussion