Quantum Ball - Physics puzzle game [PAY WHAT YOU WANT]

0 favourites
  • 10 posts
From the Asset Store
An amazing and interesting puzzle game for kids!
  • Get it here:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ovgames.quantumbounce

Hi there, my newest game, which I have just released, Quantum Bounce, is a combination of puzzle and arcade with an emphasis on aiming and timing.

Weekly Update 1: Added 10 new levels and fixed several bugs.As the title mentions, the game features NO ads and no IAPs and you can pay what you consider the game is worth or pay nothing at all. We all know how annoying and intrusive ads are and how so many new games push the "freemium" model. Instead of doing that, I wanted to try something new and release the game completely free with the possibility to donate whatever amount you think it's worth in order to support me in creating future games.

I have worked almost 2 months on developing the game to reach a polished state that you can see once you play it. From the beautiful music and sounds effects by Nigel Good to the simplistic and clean graphics, Quantum Bounce, creates an enjoyable experience for both casual gamers and the more seasoned ones.

I would love to hear your feedback on the following:

• How fun do you consider the game to be on a scale of 1 to 10.
    • How is the performance? Does it run smooth on your device?
    • What's your opinion on this "pay model".
    • Any suggestions or critiques?

I will be watching this thread for the next 20 hours, so if you have any questions of any kind (development or anything else) please feel free to ask.

Thank you for trying it out and if you enjoyed it please rate it

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Nice

• Nice

Awesome, I'm glad you like it!

• Rated 5 stars. Good game, nice graphics, sounds and gameplay.

• How fun do you consider the game to be on a scale of 1 to 10.

• How is the performance? Does it run smooth on your device?

Smooth on Samsung Galaxy S III, but I never have a performance problems on this device. I'll test your game again tomorrow on Samsung Galaxy Tab 3, where every non-native game lags.

• What's your opinion on this "pay model".

It's a bold move and it might work. How does it look like so far?

• Any suggestions or critiques?

I didn't like only one thing. I cover my view with fingers when dragging power and aiming.

• Yeah, forgot to ask.

How do you promote the game? You got some nice download numbers.

• Rated 5 stars. Good game, nice graphics, sounds and gameplay.

- How fun do you consider the game to be on a scale of 1 to 10.

- How is the performance? Does it run smooth on your device?

Smooth on Samsung Galaxy S III, but I never have a performance problems on this device. I'll test your game again tomorrow on Samsung Galaxy Tab 3, where every non-native game lags.

- What's your opinion on this "pay model".

It's a bold move and it might work. How does it look like so far?

- Any suggestions or critiques?

I didn't like only one thing. I cover my view with fingers when dragging power and aiming.

Hey Noga, thanks a lot for the feedback and for the rating.

To answer your questions:

The pay model: Before developing the game I knew that I won't be making any big money from this pay model. I've read that only about 2% of people actually donate, so I knew from the start that unless the game becomes crazy big (millions of downloads) then I wouldn't be making any real money. That being said and known, I still wanted to try it out and see how it works.

Here's the breakdown so far:

• Only 2.3% of people donated.
    • Out of those 2.3% the majority decided to pay the minimum amount ($0.99), which is still better than nothing.
    • 98% of the people that donated are from US, while US being only 50% of the userbase. It appears Americans are more inclined to pay than any other country.

Marketing:

• The game right now has about 3k downloads. You say those download numbers are nice. I don't consider them nice at all considering you need tens of thousands or hundreds of thousands to make any money (regardless of pay model: ads, donations, iaps).
    • The game is now getting around 200 downloads / day organically (from searches).
    • Initial marketing, if you can even call it that, was done through reddit and xda-forums. On xda it was featured on their front page which got me around 500 downloads in that day (I was expecting more to be honest, they have millions of visits / day). The other was reddit. The game was on the front page or /r/android with around 120 upvotes. From reddit 450 downloads came and a big bunch of good reviews.
    • So, from my "marketing" I gathered around 1k downloads. The rest of 2k downloads came from the store itself and from people sharing the game because they liked it.
    • Even with 3k downloads now, the game is nowhere to be found on the playstore other than searches. It doesn't appear in the "Trending" category, and on spot 80 on the "top new" category. I don't understand how their algorithm works but I see games with 500 downloads and 20 reviews being in these categories, while my game is nowhere to be found.
    • I expect the game to reach around 5k downloads and then disappear into an sea of apps without anyone ever finding it again. Same thing happened to my 3 other games. Initial download spikes of around 2k, then a fast death. So, I'm either doing something wrong after that initial spike, OR , unless the game goes viral after the spike, there's no chance to recover.

Bottom line, indie devs we are pretty much fucked when it comes to marketing. Either dish out thousands of dollars on advertising, or hit the lottery like "Flappy bird".

Did you release any games?

• Only 2.3% of people donated.
    • Out of those 2.3% the majority decided to pay the minimum amount ($0.99), which is still better than nothing.
    • 98% of the people that donated are from US, while US being only 50% of the userbase. It appears Americans are more inclined to pay than any other country.

Thanks for the report. I was expecting majority of people paying for apps to be from US, but 98%? Hmm...

• The game right now has about 3k downloads. You say those download numbers are nice. I don't consider them nice at all considering you need tens of thousands or hundreds of thousands to make any money (regardless of pay model: ads, donations, iaps).

I meant nice considering when was your app released (1st of May - or was it earlier?). Many games get their download numbers later in their life. If it isn't fueled by paid ads or cross promotion from large base of other actively used games, it may take weeks or months.

• Even with 3k downloads now, the game is nowhere to be found on the playstore other than searches. It doesn't appear in the "Trending" category, and on spot 80 on the "top new" category. I don't understand how their algorithm works but I see games with 500 downloads and 20 reviews being in these categories, while my game is nowhere to be found.

Are those games from Top Developer or Editors' Choice? I don't expect my game to be featured/close to top, unless it gets somewhere around 100k downloads.

• I expect the game to reach around 5k downloads and then disappear into an sea of apps without anyone ever finding it again. Same thing happened to my 3 other games. Initial download spikes of around 2k, then a fast death. So, I'm either doing something wrong after that initial spike, OR , unless the game goes viral after the spike, there's no chance to recover.

I can't back it up by my own experience, but I guess don't stop promoting. When you see numbers coming down, write/blog/share again.

Did you release any games?

Check my sign

• Hi!

This looks like a wonderful game, and an ideal candidate for something which could be ported to Facebook

I will try and email you now, but if you are reading this, please consider contacting me for further information on how we can work together to optimise your game for Facebook success. Thanks!

• Hi!

This looks like a wonderful game, and an ideal candidate for something which could be ported to Facebook

I will try and email you now, but if you are reading this, please consider contacting me for further information on how we can work together to optimise your game for Facebook success. Thanks!

Hey, thanks for the message. Do you have skype where we can do faster communication?

• If you like puzzle games, you can try jigsaw-games(.)com/ , a favorite type of puzzle games genre. you can play for free in your browser. A new puzzle is featured daily, or you can search. These jigsaws are not too easy and not too hard, but a lot of free fun on your computer.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)