Question about paid request

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:54 am

[QUOTE=inkBot]
pretty big flaw here. It's simply running Internet Explorer. So if the users version of internet explorer doesn't support html 5, then it won't work and they'll have to update. It also doesn't seem to include audio files in the exported program. I tried it with a little soundboard thing I made, and none of the sounds play.

I'd agree with Newts sentiment.

Pretty much any workaround found, short of an unofficial exe exporter specifically made for c2, would be inferior to a proper exporter. The whole idea of the exe is to not have the restrictions of a browser, so baking a browser into an exe just to get an exe seems backwards to me.[/QUOTE]

Figured as much. I guess I will have to wait for my game then, too bad. -___-
B
S
G

Post » Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:09 pm

Reading through their documentation, it has IE9 built in. Even if the user only has IE7 on their machines it would still run.

Left click on the handle of the door.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:38 pm

We can't use a JScript compiler: the games need a full-blown browser engine to run, not just the javascript bit.

It's possible to embed HTML5 games to an EXE by embedding a browser engine in to an EXE and just have it load the HTML5 game. This is what the phpexe program appears to do. However, there are some problems:
- if IE9 is embedded, you lose all XP users since IE9 doesn't run on XP
- browsers are moving fast these days, so you'd have to regularly update the embedded browser
- it can be difficult to come across up-to-date browser engines for embedding, since they're a little obscure and many embedding projects aren't regularly updated
- you don't get any of the performance or feature benefits
- IMO, you may as well just play it in a browser anyway. You have to go through a bunch of security warnings to run an EXE, and some users are simply not allowed by their system permissions. HTML5 games run for everyone without any security or permission worries at all. Plus EXEs are tied to Windows, and HTML5 in a browser runs on Windows, Mac, Linux and most phones and tablets.

Because of this, we don't want to develop an official HTML5/EXE "wrapper". We'd rather develop a real EXE runtime, even if that's a long way off in the future. However, in the mean time, we're happy for third parties to have a go at coming up with something, or you can play around with tools like phpexe if you really want it in an EXE, given the above shortcomings.Ashley2011-10-14 12:39:31
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:52 pm

And just to add to the discussion and because I'm surprised Ash didn't link to it : last scirra's blog entry about C2 architecture and potential future for exporters.
New to Construct ? Where to start

Image Image
Image Image

Please attach a capx to any help request or bug report !
B
S
G

Post » Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:13 pm

[QUOTE=Ashley]Because of this, we don't want to develop an official HTML5/EXE "wrapper". We'd rather develop a real EXE runtime, even if that's a long way off in the future. However, in the mean time, we're happy for third parties to have a go at coming up with something, or you can play around with tools like phpexe if you really want it in an EXE, given the above shortcomings.[/QUOTE]

*sad face* I suppose there's also no estimate as to how long "long way off in the future" is? And yeah, an EXE runtime is what is needed and not a wrapper, since it would be the same as playing in a browser, but with limitations.

So undecided about what to do with my project.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:25 am

Why not create it in Construct Classic..? (Although i have never used it myself)
B
S
G

Post » Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:30 am

I hear is bad with big projects.

I have a question for the developers of C2. If I started my game before the EXE exporter. Would it still be compatible once the EXE project is out?VampyricalCurse2011-10-15 00:31:15
B
S
G

Post » Sat Oct 15, 2011 3:05 am

In reading the article Kyatric posted, I think they would say yes. C2 is built as a modular program, so any future modules, plug-ins, behaviors, etc must be geared to run projects built with previous versions of C2.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Oct 15, 2011 9:55 pm

[QUOTE=droptank21] In reading the article Kyatric posted, I think they would say yes. C2 is built as a modular program, so any future modules, plug-ins, behaviors, etc must be geared to run projects built with previous versions of C2.[/QUOTE]

That sounds great then... Thank you for yer time and help!
B
S
G

Post » Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:15 am

Hey guys!

first post! want to say HI!

I had looked into embedding a browser component into a windows executable and have it function as a general construct html5 "launcher" but as someone mentioned above, the dll's are usually outdated. The dll included in my development language wouldn't allow for keyboard input with HTML5 so I gave up on the idea. There is also the possibility of embedding firefox but the component is not distributed with the firefox installer so the user would have to install this separately, which is not so convenient.

A binary exporter would be great, especially one that exported to iOS and Android.

B
G

PreviousNext

Return to Construct 2 General