Question about scaling

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:30 pm

The low quality mode should be settable by the user I think, so he only uses it when needed.

I think It is possible With the "Crop" fullscreen setting, and some events,to scale yourself only by integer values while having a "Scale outer" type of logic, but I am not sure how to do it exactly
Game design is all about decomposing the core of your game so it becomes simple instructions.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:28 pm

After some experimenting, I have found out a few things.

The only way way to scale pixel art with no distortion is to scale it using a value of 2x, 3x, etc. also called an "integer" as @ErekT said.

So, I tried this manually. I turned off full screen mode, set my window size to 740x416 (which is widescreen), and then on start of layout > set canvas size to 1480x832 (or 3x= 2220x1248).

That produced the same effect as letterbox integer scale, albeit with a gray box around the layout. The pixels looked perfect though.

Unfortunately, doing this does not allow for much play. It does not adjust to a screen size automatically. And since 2x is the lowest you can go, it does not have many uses. 3x is too big even for a 1080p monitor.

I don't think it'd be worth it since the result would not be different than letterbox integer scale anyway. Unless I'm wrong, of course.

I will do another quick test of letterbox integer scale on my laptop which is a lower res than my desktop, but ultimately, I think we will just end up using scale inner or some other mode that fits better to our monitor's resolution.

Letterbox integer scaling on my desktop looks okay, but the black bars all around are a bit blagging. I don't know if it's worth the trade off.

I guess at normal viewing distance, and with everything in motion, it would not be so big of a deal having some slight distortion. The picture is mostly intact, just with a few areas being a bit different. It's disappointing, but I guess there's nothing that can be done.DrewMelton2013-12-08 22:34:58
B
S
G

Post » Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:21 pm

@DrewMelton :

I tried something to have an "Integer scale outer" sort of thing in event, it need the Crop mode to be set for "fullscreen in browser", and to set the "Window Size" propriety into variables

This mode will scale only on integers values, a,d will display everything on screen instead of the black bars, not every game will be good with this, since this has the same drawback as scale outer (aka showing maybe more that what you want to show)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ee55wideywbx5ch/Integer%20Scale%20Outer.capx?dl=0
Last edited by Aphrodite on Sat May 20, 2017 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Game design is all about decomposing the core of your game so it becomes simple instructions.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:38 am

@Aphrodite

That's interesting. I'm going to play around with that a bit when I get some time.
B
S
G

Previous

Return to Construct 2 General